1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which is better, the NKJV or the Niv 2011?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    The New American Standard Version and the New King James Version both have 'begotten' in John 3:16 etc. I agree with you that it's important.
    You should be aware that the KJV shares with the NWT the dubious honour of omitting the deity of Christ in Titus 2:13 and 2 Peter 1:1.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an excellent book; the best commentary on Isaiah that I'm aware of. I met Motyer and heard him speak once: a very fine man. He died just a year or so back.
    I believe that IVP required him to use the NIV because they thought the book would sell better. They also made him condense the commentary somewhat to get it into one volume.

3. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was not aware.....thanks for the imfo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are other good commentaries on Isaiah, but this one is by far the best of all that I have consulted!
    Died in 2016, according to Amazon.com info. Neat that you had the opportunity to meet him!
    I have no knowledge on the matter, but that sounds likely.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but can you support your claim with evidence? Can you show us where the "new, modern versions are typical of removing the deity of Christ?"

When you make such a claim the burden of proof is on you. You have two options. #1 Support the claim with evidence. #2 Withdraw the claim. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is his book offered through Amazon and maybe in a Kindle version?

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  8. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I would say the KJV is worse than modern translations. The NLT seems clearer than all on the deity of Christ. Here is a small sample of modern translations being as clear or clearer than the KJV. ...and even the NKJV.

John 1:18

ESV|No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.

NLT|No one has ever seen God °. But the°unique One, who is himself God, °is °near to the Father’s °heart. He has °revealed God to us . 49.1% difference

NKJV|No one has °seen God °at any time. The only °begotten Son , who is °in the bosom of the °Father , °He has °declared Him . 50% difference

HCSB|No one has ever seen God °. The One and Only Son — the °One who is at the Father’s side °— He has °revealed Him .41.2% difference

KJV 1900|No °man hath seen God at any time ; the only °begotten Son , °which is °in the bosom of the °Father , he °hath declared him °. 50% difference

John 1:1 -basically the same
    ESV|In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NLT|In the beginning °the Word °already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. 20% difference

NKJV|In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 0% difference

HCSB|In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 0% difference

KJV 1900|°IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 5% difference

Titus 2:13- The KJV seems to separate God from our Saviour.
    ESV|waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,

NLT|°while we look forward with hope °to that wonderful day when the glory of our great God and Savior , Jesus Christ, will be revealed. 48.9% difference

NKJV|°looking for °the blessed hope °and glorious appearing of °our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 29.7% difference

HCSB|°while we wait for °the blessed hope°and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior , Jesus Christ °. 28.6% difference

KJV 1900|°Looking for °that blessed hope,and the glorious appearing of the °great God and °our Saviour Jesus Christ °;35% difference

2Peter 1:1- same as previous. The inserting of "our" in the KJV seems to imply separation from our Saviour and God.
    ESV|Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

NLT|°This letter is from Simon Peter, a°slave and apostle of Jesus Christ °. I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have °. This faith was given to you because of °the °justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior °.57.1% difference

NKJV|°Simon Peter, a °bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained °like precious faith °with °us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: 18.2% difference

HCSB|Simeon Peter, a °slave and an apostle of Jesus Christ °: To those who have obtained a faith of equal °privilege with ours°through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ °. 15.9% difference

KJV 1900|°SIMON Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, °to them that have obtained °like precious faith °with °us through the righteousness of °God and °our Saviour Jesus Christ: 34.3% difference

Colossians 2:9- ESV is strong as usual, but the NLT is impressive.
    ESV|For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,

NLT|For in °Christ lives all the °fullness of°God in a human body. 60% difference

NKJV|For in °Him dwells all the °fullness of°the Godhead bodily °; 47.8% difference

HCSB|For °the °entire fullness of °God’s nature dwells bodily in Christ ,39.1% difference

KJV 1900|For in him dwelleth all the°fulness of °the Godhead bodily °.47.8% difference

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That took a lot of effort- thank you

11. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you one in Jn 3:16.........

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where? And what version? And why do you contend that version denies the Deity of Christ?

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer to use the more formal translations , such as the Nas/Nkjv, but do see the the Nlt/Niv/Csb as being real translations of the word of God to us in English!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do ANY Modern English translations that are not JW or other cultic version, deny that Jesus is Lord there?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Kjv is also the only version that I know of that called the Holy spirit 'It" in I believe 4 separate instances.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His misgivings on the Niv should be a warning to all of us....

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

But you weren't wrong when you did it?:

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, as I staed that It was the Holy spirit is not the same as saying the Holy spirit is an it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.