Which theological lenses best explains SARS-CoV-2?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Agent47, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvinism or Arminianism?

2. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
    5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
    6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
    7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
    8 All these [are] the beginning of sorrows." ( Matthew 24:3-8 ).

The Bible. ;)

3. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God brought pestilence upon Egypt:

" And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go." ( Exodus 3:20 ).

" And the Lord said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
    14 For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that [there is] none like me in all the earth.
    15 For now I will stretch out my hand, that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence; and thou shalt be cut off from the earth.
    16 And in very deed for this [cause] have I raised thee up, for to shew [in] thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth."
    ( Exodus 9:13-16 ).

Side note:
    Cross reference all of this with Romans 9:14-18.

Also, see Jeremiah 24:10, Ezekiel 14:19-21 and Revelation 16.
    God can and does send pestilence upon nations and upon peoples.

Again, the Bible.

4. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why must everything be Calvinism vs. Arminianism? sigh

Those two frameworks deal primarily with soteriological issues.

But, on a sovereignty level, Calvinism looks more at everything under the control of God, with nuances of what that means of course.

5. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What else is there to argue about - you know that when there are 8 Baptists in a room - there must be 10 different opinions!

6. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone who gets a bible, reads it many times over with a sincere heart, and then studies Protestant movements since Luther, is going to be different.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. - Hebrews 13:2
    Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. - 1 Peter 1:12

I believe it is entertaining to find what people do with the Word of God... Especially when they do so under the unction of the Holy Spirit!

7. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unlike you we don't fool our selves into think we are sinless. Nor are we so insecure to think we will loose our Salvation if we sin.
    MB

8. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wish I could say I was sinless!

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.- 1 John 1:8

...However...

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. - 1 John 1:9

I do claim sanctification, which took away the desire to sin. I also pray the Lord's prayer daily, that the Lord would forgive me any trespasses as I have also forgivin those who trespassed against me.

Sanctification - A lot of different viewpoints on that particular doctrine!

9. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rocky and MB - do I really need to mention that I was being a bit facetious?

10. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was trying to expand that out to include me as well.

11. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, I look at it as factual.

That's why I agreed with you...
    Because I know of no three Baptists who can agree on anything, with any consistency.;)

12. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.. - 1 Corinthians 14:29

Judgement... There is provision in scripture to judge the interpretations. If everyone was right all the time there would be no need for this provision!

13. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read all of this passage?

" How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
    27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret.
    28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
    29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
    30 If [any thing] be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
    31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
    32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
    33 For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints."
    ( 1 Corinthians 14:26-33 ).

It's not about doctrines, it's about speaking in tongues and about prophesying, is it not?
    All things including doctrine are to be done unto edifying.

But when it comes to the interpreting of tongues and of prophecies, by two or three.

14. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How would one know if there would be an interpreter unless he first speaks in tongues? If he gives a message in tongues and there is no interpretation then it time for the service to move on. As the Apostle also went on to say....

39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

15. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is, that it seems to me that you've quoted 1 Corinthians 14:29 for support that differing doctrines are based on interpretation.
    But the verse, as you've used it, is not speaking about doctrinal "interpretation", it is speaking with reference to language ( tongues ) interpretation and the interpretation of prophecies.

Wouldn't you agree?

16. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul had the order of service in mind. In which our services are dominated with a preacher delivering a well prepared sermon. If we don't agree with him a visit to the parsonage or a board meeting would be the place to discuss it.The order we like to see our services...

1. Prayer
    2. Song
    3. Offering
    4. Invitation for special prayer - Elders assisting and w/anointing oil
    5. Song
    6. Sermon
    7. Altar-call - Sometimes church goes up front to kneel and pray

In our church if anyone would speak in tongues it would normally be in the special prayer part of the service. If there was no interpretation the service would move on. There was an instance when a young man went up for special prayer and remained at the altar speaking something like, "babababa." As it was obvious that this was not of the Spirit someone tapped him on the back and asked him to sit down... And the service continued. In the video below a lady gives put a message in tongues. With no interpretation, it ended with that and the service moved on....

17. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take it you did not agree.

18. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't mind speaking in tongues as long as it's in order, decent, of the Spirit, and the service moves on .

19. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There have been interpretations of tongues, but that has to be something of the Holy Spirit. If someone attempts to interpret and it is something that begins something like, "I feel the Spirit is saying..." Well that is as bad as the "babababa" as it is something obviously of the flesh.

20. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
    2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
    3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. - Acts 13

The early church had the sense to fast (notice fasting mentioned twice) until they got clear spiritual direction unto where they were going to go. With most churches only meeting once a week, with no fasting whatsoever, there are no lenses to see what to do in crisis hours,