Which theological lenses best explains SARS-CoV-2?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Agent47, Apr 17, 2020.

1. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just called Dave a non-Christian and say you can tell. Please tell us how you know Dave is not a Christian.

2. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most responses were off topic!

3. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does God heal today? If yes, on what basis does God heal? Do christians have to depend only on doctors or people like t.b.joshua for healing?

4. Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would appreciate you posting a video of an occurrence of tongues being spoken, followed by an interpretation.

If the speaking in tongues is of God, an interpretation is expected. If there is no interpretation, the source is other than God.

[1Co 12:7-10 ESV] 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

[1Co 14:33 ESV] 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints,

5. rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wish! In the old WW2 generation both the tongues and the interpretations were fearful and believable. Most of the interpretations dealt with the falling away that would befall the churches. In the Pentecostal Holines denomination it is now very seldom you hear of any speak in tongues. There were also decades ago many revivals in a year that would keep the heart consecrated and in communion with the Holy Spirit.

Pictured below is farmer I would work for in the hay field... Dallas would shout at work, shout in the hay field, and shout in church. He would also speak in tongues and run the aisles. He and his wife would operate a dairy farm and he would also work at the local ammunition plant. A very large soul his shouting would ring through the building. In the altar services he would kneel behind me in prayer and tears would roll off his cheek and onto my shoulders. A wonderfully large soul. Along with Dallas there were many others like him who would let the praises roll during church service. During the altar service old Evans Linkous used to weep like a baby. And if he were to look back to catch the amazed look in my eye he would weep, "The Holy Ghost! The Holy Ghost!" And point to all the souls being blessed around the altar. After I experienced these things for myself the people would make a fuss, or in the words of the Apostle Paul, glorify God in me.

Dallas.... Jesus in the family! What a happy home!

You can hear Dallas shouting in the background. Dallas, Gertrude, and Pastor Vaught have all went to glory.

And the old Merrimac Pentecostal Holiness church. I have never heard such singing , preaching, and shouting anywhere else in my entire life! I am afraid that we have lost touch with the Spirit that made for such a fine church.

6. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith in Christ pleases God not speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues and simultaneously trusting in one's own good deeds to be justified or sanctified is meaningless!!

7. timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We could figure out why the earth is flat instead of round????

8. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Purpose of covid 19 is to push unbelievers to Christ for salvation from wrath and push believers to faith in Christ for healing.

9. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven,
    According to the Bible, what pushes unbelievers to Christ for salvation from God's wrath?

10. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both to faith for salvation from wrath & physical healing, it is God's election which pushes people and christians.

11. timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it is the Holy Spirit. God in the person of the Holy Spirit softly keeps reminding them, of their need for God. There are no athiest, just stubborn humans, with trust issues.

12. xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Nope.

13. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Spirit works in line with God's election. And we preach the gospel with faith.

14. timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God’s election and security come after, not before the change of will. God's election is riding a train instead of walking. It has less distractions, and fewer pitfalls than walking. A train car can still get cluttered with sin and the cares of this world, and since one is not carrying that burden, because they are not walking, confession can get harder, and takes a lot more work.

More blessed is the man who walks with a light burden, than he who rides election full of waste.

15. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you sinless?

16. timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say or even imply that?

17. Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide scripture to support your claim that the "Holy Spirit softly keeps reminding, them of their need for God". Consider Saul's experience on the road to Damascus.

[Act 22:6 ESV] 6 "As I was on my way and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone around me.
    Thru
    [Act 22:6, 13 ESV] 6 "As I was on my way and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone around me. ... 13 came to me, and standing by me said to me, 'Brother Saul, receive your sight.' And at that very hour I received my sight and saw him.

God did not deal with me softly. I was suffering under, what I considered tragedies and a load of sin when, after many encounters with the Holy Spirit, I cried out to God: "If you are there I need You." That was in the spring of 1964.

God responded to my plea! Praise God!!

18. Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what's your point?

19. timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election does not dictate salvation. Salvation happens first. Then a Saved human can exercise their right of election.

20. Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide scripture to support your claim that "Election does not dictate salvation.".

The "elect" are the souls God choose for salvation, to spend eternity with Him.

[Rom 8:33 KJV] 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?[G1588] [It is] God that justifieth.

G1588 in the following manner: elect (16x), chosen (7x).
    Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
    1. picked out, chosen
      1. chosen by God,
        1. to obtain salvation through Christ
      2. Christians are called "chosen or elect" of God
    Would you share your testimony of being born-again?

This is my response based on scripture. Some will consider it based on Calvinism. They would be wrong to do so.