1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does God let us sin?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Humble Disciple :

Why does God let us sin?
    For His own purposes.

Some He allows to sin so that He can provide a Saviour for them and to show His grace and kindness to them.

The rest He allows to sin, so that they will be judged in perfect holiness and righteousness for the deeds that they so willfully committed against Him... in their uncaring rejection of His goodness that leads them to the repentance that He commands.

#21 Dave G, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    I know of no theological view that states this.

That isn't to say that there isn't one, it's just that I've never heard of anyone saying that man was turned into a robot by the fall of Adam and Eve.
    But if God actually took away a person's ability to choose anything other than sin, then I would tend to agree with you.
    The problem is, He doesn't and He never did.

My question to you is, what does Romans 1:18-32 and Ephesians 4:17-19 describe...

Mankind losing the ability to make autonomous choices,
    or
    God giving us over to that which we have come to love ( sin ) and us darkening our own hearts and minds against Him...
    Even though all of us are without excuse, know full well Who He is and:
    " ...who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." (Romans 1:32)?

I see the latter, which leads me to my next question:

How can God be the author of sin if He simply allowed us to have what we wanted ( our free will choice ), gave us over to the consequences of it and its affects on our spiritual relationship with Him, and only graciously invades the darkened hearts and minds ( with the light of His truth ) of people that He desires to have mercy on?

Answer:
    He can't.

I also think you may be losing track of this:
    According to His word in James 1:12-15, the Lord does not tempt us to sin, as we are led away into it of our own lusts and enticed;
    In other words, we do a fine job of giving into sin all on our own.

God is neither the author of sin, nor does He condone it...
    But He can and does use our love of sin and our desire to sin ( despite His commandments to repent and forsake those sins ) against us.

Believe His word when He tells us that He is willing to show wrath and to make His power known,
    and that He has appointed a day when He will judge all of us in righteousness by His Son.

#22 Dave G, Jul 27, 2021
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He can't.
    Now, if you're so inclined, I'd like to see a reasonable answer to this question:

"If God can either choose to allow something passively, or simply step in and actively stop it in a moment, then how can He be held responsible for being King over his creation and having the final say-so on anything that He wishes ...by sinful and rebellious men who have no right to question Him or His purposes?"

#23 Dave G, Jul 27, 2021
  4. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While teachers of Lordship salvation like John MacArthur claim to to be Calvinists, their teaching might be closer to Wesleyan perfectionism than traditional Calvinism. Unlike our Wesleyan brothers and sisters, Calvinists don’t believe that sinless perfection is possible in this lifetime.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange how you on one hand say god controls all things man does then say He lets man sin but the reality is that man could not sin if God did not control His ability to do the sin. So any way you cut it it is still God that controls the sin under your view of God having your type of sovereign rule.

6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that what you are showing in those verses is free will. And I agree man has a free will. Your problem is that under Calvinism man can not have a free will because God has to control all things.

And I have yet to have anyone give me a logical answer as to how God can have absolute control of all things that happen and yet man can defy God and do his own thing.

How I see it is you want man to have the ability to sin but not have the ability to chose to trust in Christ Jesus.

We can see in Rom 10:8-15 that those that hear the gospel message and believe that message will be saved. I see that as free will, they made a choice. That is what you see in scripture we are saved through faith Rom 3:25; Gal 2:16; Gal 3:14; Eph 2:8; Eph 3:12 what I do not find is we are saved unto faith.

7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Free" as in totally uninfluenced ( completely neutral ), or "free" as in "free to make choices based on what motivates us" ( approaching God with an already-inherent bias )?

To me, there is a vast difference between freedom from sin and its ways, and slavery to sin and its ways.
    I'm not contending for a systematic theology known by many as "Calvinism"...
    I'm contending for the word of God and what it actually says on the page.

The Bible very plainly states, in all the details, that God does indeed have the power to influence anything that He desires.
    For example, one only has to read the Psalms, in their entirety, to see this.
    Because both are true insofar as God allowing what, to us, is men carrying out our will.

If He did not permit us to act out our own desires, nothing would happen that we wanted.
    Also, as believers in Christ, "logic" should have no attraction for us.

Us relying on what His word says should be enough to convince us ( Proverbs 3:5-6 ).

#27 Dave G, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My own personal desire is to see no one go to the Lake of Fire;
    In fact, I would love to see everyone choose to trust Christ.

Yet, according to God's own words, that is not His will.
    See Romans 9.

His elect, chosen in Christ from the foundation of the world, are the only ones who will choose, because the Lord has decided to leave the rest in their sins and to judge them for them.
    Amen.
    Yet, in the chapters leading up to Romans 10, Paul develops why someone trusts Christ during the preaching of God's word, does he not?
    I agree...they made a choice.
    A choice that I see Romans 1, Romans 2 and Romans 3 telling us was contrary to the choices that all men, in our natural state, will make.
    Again I agree.
    We are saved through faith...but not as a consequence of it.

Faith is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast ( Ephesians 2:8-9 ).

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "My type of sovereign rule"?
    I'm simply reading the Scriptures and describing what I see in the words, sir.

If you wish to categorize me as a "Calvinist", then you are free to do so...
    but "my type" of sovereign rule is exactly what I see God's word teaching when I take into account everything that His word has to say on the matter.

See Daniel 4:35 and many others that speak to His ruling and influencing things apart from our desires or our will as men.

That said, I take my leave of this thread and wish you well.
    May God bless you greatly.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I follow Jesus, not Calvin, and he promised His own will follow Him, and that he gives them eternal life!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free as in:

Free will is the capacity for agents to choose between different possible courses of action. Free will is closely linked to the concepts of moral responsibility, praise, guilt, sin, and other judgements which apply only to actions that are freely chosen.

Man will never be free from sin until we are in heaven up to that time we will be under the influence of sin. But you did notice that Christ Jesus said that He can set us free. {Joh 8:36} That freedom from the influence of sin comes through faith in Him.

Like you I also contend for what is on the pages of the bible. Although it does appear that we see some of the text through different eyes. I think the main difference is in how we see Gods' sovereignty. Gods' sovereignty, for me, sees God as in control but not controlling and, not to put words in your mouth, you see God as controlling all that happens.

I am in total agreement God does influence what man does, but there is a great difference between influence and control. If God is only allowing man to do such things as they do then is that not the same as saying that God controls all that men do even though they think they are doing it on their own?

Where do our desires come from? Do they come from us? When God controls all things that happen then He has to control all things we desire. Also as believers in Christ Jesus we have to trust in Logic as without it we could not evaluate anything including the truth of scripture.

You refer to Pro 3:5-6 I would add verse 7 as well. So right here we see a clear text that shows man has a free will. We have to Trust in Him, we have to Acknowledge Him, and we have to Fear Him. All of these things are what we have to do. According to the text none of these things are what God does for us.

Pro_3:8 shows the outcome of the prior verses. If a person trusts in the LORD and fears him (Pro_3:5-7), God will bless him (Pro_3:8).

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad to hear that. I also trust in Christ Jesus.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Calvinist that I know or have read has Calvin as Lord, that is Jesus!

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again a Calvinist has posted complete nonsense, without any regard for scriptural truth.
    Why does our sovereign God, who causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass, allow his creation, humanity, to choose to seek God and trust in Christ, or go their own way? What does scripture actually say. I expect not a single Calvinist cannot even reference the verse that answers that question. Repeat, not one...

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only bias is the gospel in why Christ died for all man kind. Christ loves us all. We are His creation. Why shouldn't He loves us enough ti give us a choice to choose Him too?.
    MB

16. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God gets the glory then, not us. His salvation of us is a great salvation, something that with men would be impossible.

As far as sin, we dont sin in our new creation spirit which is perfect in Christ, we sin in our soul life, the body, the flesh.
    The body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness...We have the righteousness of Christ , the new man, not the old man.
    God still holds us accountable for the deeds done in the body, regarding eternal rewards, but our spirits He has saved and perfected. There is a certain dichotomy between flesh and spirit in every man.

Our old bodies are never saved and preserved, we get a new body at the resurrection like his glorious body, just as we also have gotten a new spirit right now.

17. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What few understand is that Christ's imputed righteousness and shed blood saves us. Our wood, hay, and stubble righteousness cannot save us. But it is our attempt to show our love for God. But contrary to the works salvation crew, even if all we do will never pass the test of fire, it is Christ's imputed righteousness that saves us. But if you can muster any righteous, it yields a greater reward in glory.

18. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you understand the depths of depravity, we cannot believe in the true God unless first born again from where faith proceeds.

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually we are told to put on the righteousness of Christ. Of course you have a mountain of knowledge but your knowledge isn't worth spit. All you Calvinist know is insults nothing but insults. You all claim to study scripture and to know it all but in reality the only things I've witnessed from any of you is how to insult your fellow man. Of course you have no works Dave we can all see that. The works we do see coming fromyou is nothing but a feeble attempt to mislead others. Doesn't that just stick in your craw.
    MB

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't anything surprising was it?
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.