Why is the New International Version Bible translation so popular? What are your thoughts on that?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by alexander284, Dec 30, 2019.

1. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend towards "extremes" in my personal reading ... Horses for Courses sort of thing. Sometimes I really want to read the entire Gospel of John and get a 'big picture' of the message John was laying out and how he presented it (which is something you miss when you spend a year studying the Gospel of John verse by verse with cross references and commentaries). So dynamic equivalence and simple language allows ME to see the BIG PICTURE as John intended it.

At the other end of the spectrum is "THAT WORD" or "THAT PHRASE". You know the one, you are studying the word to really understand it and something just sticks in your mind that you want to learn more about. Then I take to the adage that there is wisdom in many counselors [loose paraphrase] and want to see the verse (or verses) in as many different translations as I can find. ASV, RSV, NKJV, ESV, NET, YLT, DBY ... VUL, LXX, mGNT [just kidding with the last three :) ]

I figure that even if I learned Greek and Hebrew, I would probably never become an expert ... and even if I became an expert, a team of experts is still better than an expert ... and comparing the results of multiple teams of experts should help me find an 'expert consensus' on the general range of meanings that are reasonable. That is helpful when I go back and read Thayer's and the surrounding context and the commentaries for myself. Then I can reach an 'informed' opinion (hopefully with the guidance of the Holy Spirit).

Frankly all translations seem to have different strengths and weaknesses. I find the KJV difficult due to the archaic language, but I acknowledge that it sounds good when read out loud (I read that was one of the goals of the translators). I attend a bible study that includes a group of men from a homeless shelter and translations in plain talk with dynamic equivalence are far more comprehensible to these inquirers and 'babies in Christ'.

2. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, yes, of course the Calvin Seminary audience to whom Moo was speaking would have been more likely than the rest of us to have some knowledge of the NIV's Reformed origins.

Calvin Seminary's Dr. Michael J. Williams is the Secretary of the NIV Committee on Bible Translation:

Calvin Seminary Celebrates NIV's 50th Anniversary

3. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of the 15 members of the CBT Dr. Williams is the only one who is with the CRC. Surprise! Guess who joined the team in 2019? Dr. Daniel Wallace.

4. Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome

Many years ago, I had my public library reference desk set up as speed dial numbers on both my desk telephone and mobile phone. Usually speed dial number "3". My library's policy at that time was a limit of three reference questions per library patron per day. Also at that time I carried around a small binder (think: Franklin or Covey organizing binders). When I exceed my three questions, I turned to section 3 in my binder and wrote down future reference questions.

Fast forward to today's Baptist Board --> Jerome, you are like the Baptist Board Reference Librarian.

Q1
    Jerome -- When are you at your desk available for BB questions?

Q2
    Jerome -- How does a BB member contact you with a burning question?

Q3
    Huh... Mr. Jerome, can I get back to you with my third question?

5. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you so much!

Meet the Translators - NIV Bible

"Dr. Daniel B. Wallace....Affiliation: Presbyterian Church in America"

6. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's something for @MartinMarprelate...

Rev. Sarah Schreiber's tribute to her mentor Dr. Michael Williams at the 2018 Synod of the Christian Reformed Church in North America

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt that all of them who were on the development for the 1984 Niv was that sold on the 2011 edition!

8. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [pdf] Calvin Seminary Professor Remembered as NIV Translator

"John Stek died June 6, 2009. A memorial service in his honor was held at Calvin Seminary. 'John Stek has had a greater role in the translation of this Bible than any other person,' said Douglas Moo"

In Memoriam: Rev. John H. Stek

"Stek graduated from Calvin College in 1949 and from Calvin Theological Seminary in 1952. He pursued graduate studies at Westminster Theological Seminary, which awarded him a Th.M. degree in 1955. That same year he was ordained to gospel ministry in the Christian Reformed Church."

"Much of his scholarly energy was focused on the New International Version (NIV) Bible translation, published in 1978, and the Today's New International Version (TNIV), published in 2003."

9. Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What will be the future of the NIV?

10. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A bright one.

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not among reformed, or many Baptists though!

12. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it will be destroyed with the old Heaven and Earth. ;)
    [Revelation 21:1]

13. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Common sense would tell anyone but you that those on the 2005 TNIV team would have approved the milder 2011 NIV. Those on the TNIV team who worked on the 1984 NIV (if not even earlier) were : Ronald Youngblood, Kenneth Barker, Donald Madvig, Gordon Fee and Herbert Wolfe. I'm not sure if the following were on the 1984 team : R.T. France (1938-2012), Walter Liefeld (rather old now, met him at a Bible conference in the late 70s), Bruce Waltke will be 90 in August, Larry Walker (not sure of his age, though he is retired. Martin Selman would have been too young, as well as Doug Moo and Karen Jobes. Robert Mounce, the father of William would have approved of the 2011. Why? Because he consulted on the TNIV And he translated a rather dynamic "Jesus In His Own Words."

14. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will shine brightly without the help from the Reformed Baptist or otherwise). Don't be so smug about the Baptists not being onboard with the NIV. The latter coupled with the NIrV and the Spanish NIV occupy quite the market share.

15. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Bible Researcher, the members of the NIV committee from 1965 to 1983 were:
    • E. Leslie Carlson, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
    • Larry Walker.
    • Edmund P. Clowney, Westminster Theological Seminary.
    • Robert Preus.
    • Ralph Earle, Nazarene Theological Seminary.
    • Burton L. Goddard, Gordon Divinity School.
    • R. Laird Harris, Covenant Theological Seminary.
    • Earl S. Kalland, Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary.
    • Kenneth S. Kantzer, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
    • Richard Longenecker.
    • Robert Mounce, Bethel College (St. Paul).
    • Youngve Kindberg.
    • Donald Wiseman.
    • Stephen W. Paine, Houghton College.
    • Charles F. Pfeiffer, Central Michigan University.
    • Kenneth L. Barker.
    • Charles C. Ryrie, Dallas Theological Seminary.
    • Ronald Youngblood.
    • Francis R. Steele, North Africa Mission.
    • William J. Martin.
    • Bruce Waltke.
    • John H. Stek, Calvin Theological Seminary.
    • John C. Wenger, Goshen Biblical Seminary.
    • Marten H. Woudstra, Calvin Theological Seminary.
    A look at the link shows not everyone of these above were on the committee the entire time. The site also mentions that from 1976 to 1978 there were six de facto members of the committee: Elmer Smick, Bruce Waltke, Herbert Wolf, Ronald Youngblood, Gleason Archer, and Roy Hayden.

16. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [pdf] Christian Reformed Church's Banner March 2011

"Since the conception of the NIV in the early 1960s, Calvin Theological Seminary [CTS] has been part of the development of this contemporary translation. Professors John Stek and Marten Woudstra served on the original Committee on Bible Translation through its development and beyond the release of the first NIV in 1978. David Engelhard served as translator on one of the subcommittees. Current CTS leadership on the project came through Old Testament professor Michael Williams, who serves on the Committee on Bible Translation, and Board of Trustees member Doris Rikkers, who served as editor with Stek and Woudstra and remains as an editor today."

And take a look at their respective churches:

LaGrave Avenue Christian Reformed Church

Calvin Christian Reformed Church

17. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bio from her 2018 book Understanding the Holy Spirit Today :

"DORIS WYNBEEK RIKKERS has worked in Christian publishing for more than forty years and was managing editor of the team that originally published the New International Version of the Bible (NIV)—the most widely read contemporary translation. She has written eight books for children and developed many Bibles for children, teens, and adults. She is very active in Calvin Christian Reformed Church and has served on the church council. She has also served on the board of trustees of Calvin Theological Seminary, which led her to attend seminary. She graduated in 2013 with a master's degree in Bible and theology."

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the reformed church were indeed part of the 1984 translation team, as were those in Assemblies of god, but doubt that all of them signed off on the 2005/2011 revision! And many reformed did not either accept either one, nor many Baptists!

19. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another of your typical substanceless exclamations.
    I don't care what you 'doubt', give us names, proof.

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know that the SBC decided to not accept the Niv 2011 as being a worthwhile version to use, and that many reformed and Baptists did likewise?