1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Reformed Christians Are Vulnerable To Social Justice

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Jul 31, 2020.

1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were leaving most of what you think you are saying ... unsaid.

2. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have National and Local laws that prevent the poor from starving (which is all God’s law did).

• Like Like x 1
  3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did people have to pay for things like water, electricity, utilities, property tax, etc back then?

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

4. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe most of the things you're assuming I do

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on how define "Reformed". He is Reformed in his soteriology, but not in the rest of his theology, but he is still a man I greatly respect. He has taken bold stands on many controversial issues. He does not lack courage.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Things have changed. The money right now is in skilled labor. The GED educated man fixing the College professors HVAC unit makes more than the professor.

Trump is trying to bring back the high paying manufacturing jobs, but the Democrats are fighting him tooth and nail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are radical offshoots of some Reformed churches who have gone full Marxist. To be fair, most of these churches long ago traded the true gospel for the social gospel. But it has nothing to do with being Reformed. There are many SBC churches that have done the same thing. It has less to do with Reformed or non-Reformed distinctives than it has to do with gospel abandonment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not arguing with you, but for my enlightenment, how is he not Reformed?

9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, there's still 90% of available jobs being below the cost of living. If the entire working population went into skilled labor, there'd be too many in those fields and their living would collectively go down. And you still have need for people to fill the jobs at grocery stores, gas stations, cab drivers, etc. I'm not in favor of significantly raising minimum wage because I don't think that's a great solution, but there's a real reason people need help getting by.

10. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only for what they used.
    Land owners paid land taxes, those that did not own land did not.
    Everyone paid for all the running water, electric power and indoor plumbing that they had. ;)

(again, I think you are trying to make a point other than the question that you are asking.). :)

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it depends on how you define Reformed. Historically, "Reformed" described a whole system of beliefs, from paedobaptism to Calvinism. If you were to talk to some folks in historically Reformed churches they will use phrases such as "Big "R" Reformed" or "Truly Reformed" or "TR" for short. In the 1960s the Reformed Baptists gained traction from a movement in Carlisle, PA. While the term has caught on, Calvinistic Baptists are not really "Big R" Reformed. They reject paedobaptism as well as the Westminster Standards. They also reject Presbyterian church polity, which is another aspect of "Big R" Reformed. Many Reformed Baptist do hold to Covenant Theology, but their differences with Presbyterian "Big R" Reformed churches are pronounced. The only thing "Reformed" about John MacArthur is his soteriology. If you ask many Presbyterians and Dutch Reformed whether any Baptist can be Reformed, you will get a big fat "Pfft."

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thing is, these days we need electricity, utilities, and the like in order to function. For example, just to get a job I need reliable transportation, I need a phone so that my potential employer can contact me, I need electricity to charge that phone, and I need access to the internet in order to even APPLY for jobs. I also need running water in order to keep up my hygiene and grooming so that I have a chance at a job.
    We're dependent on that stuff to survive now, which is why it's so severely difficult for people who are homeless to get a job or get out of their homeless situation at all

13. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By God, which very few actually obeyed.
    Has God commanded that all money you earn, over the average, must be given to a general pool that is then given to those who did not meet the average?
    I would say, no.

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God incapable of supplying all our needs?
    Or do we demand that someone other than God should do this?

15. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God capable of feeding the poor, or should God demand that Christians give to the poor and needy? Oh wait.....

16. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think the principle is the same

17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. He is as "reformed" as most Calvinist Baptists who Call themselves "reformed"?

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking only for myself, I am A) A Calvinist B) Covenant Theologian (which means I am not a Dispensationalist) C) Confessional (1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith). That is more Reformed than John MacArthur. But this is not a contest of bona fides. I agree with many things John MacArthur teaches. I just disagree with him on eschatology and Dispensationalism.

19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does God tell Christians that they must give everything above the median average to the government so the government can give it to those who didn't reach the median average?

You do realize that Christians give to non-profit organizations at a much higher rate than any other group in the world... don't you???

20. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the poor's needs aren't being met by the church, what other recourse do they have but to get a lifeline from the government? If you want the church to provide it all--healthcare, food, utilities assistance, mental health care, medical care--then you need something much more large-scale than the local food kitchen.