1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would this be a fair statement?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by saved and sure, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I'll take your word for it and ignore the likes of:

Jesus

The Apostle Paul

Augustine

Luther

Calvin

Whitfield

Spurgeon

2. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

You are mistaken.

Just because God purposes to select, from all that are already going to the lake of fire, those that are to be redeemed, does not mean that God "predestined" those to hell who by their own nature are walking that Broadway.

They are already condemned, ALL are already destined for hell. There is no "predetermination" made by God as to the fate of those who of their own will determine to destine themselves to the Lake of Fire. ALL are "condemned already," except of those He purposes for His glory and pleasure to redeem.[/QUOTE]
    According to you, God has made the decision to chose those He is not choosing for heaven. They go to hell. You cannot have it both ways. If he chooses some for heaven, then by default God chooses some for hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the destiny or fate of everyone born after the fall hinges on whether or not they were predestined to salvation, right?

And I'm not denying the just-ness of their condemnation, so we can shelve that, for brevity's sake.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How dare you tell the potter what He can and cannot do!

You are the clay. He will make what He desires and use that vessel as He desires.

You do not know the opening chapters of Romans totally destroys your thinking?

Does not Romans 9 also refute your view?
    19You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” 20On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it? 21Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.
    God expressing enormous patience is WILLING to demonstrate HIS wrath and to make KNOWN His power, by allowing the ungodly to run their course to destruction.

Why?

To make "known the riches of His glory upon the vessels of mercy that He prepared before hand."

See the difference?

The vessels "prepared before hand" are NOT those who willfully run to ruin.

5. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised that you would ask but I can tell you what the Philippian jailer was told:
    Acts 16:
    30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

See, again you make it as if GOD CHOSE those for destruction.

He did not. ALL humankind choose destruction. That is not God's will, for He "desires that all come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2).

But they do not, because they will not. As John states, they loved darkness more than light. They hate light, push back and scheme against light.

God takes from all that already are destined for destruction (for all have sinned) and redeems those of His design and purpose.

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, that's what I was saying.
    :)

8. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, who is Paul talking about and what kind of destruction is he talking about? Paul was talking about God bringing the plagues on the Egyptians and hardening Pharaoh's heart so he would chase them into the desert. Paul is telling the Jews that just like the Egyptians had no right to complain to God for being a part of God's plan of redemption, the Jews had no right to complain that God's blessings are now going to the Gentile Christians.

9. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just made my case! "because they will not". According to your beliefs, they do not because they cannot.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have not all sinned?

What wages does sin pay?

What is the ultimate destiny of all who do not believe? Is that God's choice?

What does the Scriptures present must take place that one believe?

Is that God's choice?

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know who taught you that Roman's 9 was concerning Egyptians, but it isn't.

Perhaps you should re-read that section of Romans (start in 8 and read through 10) and verify what Paul is discussing.

12. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then please show me the scripture stating that God chooses the people who are going to the lake of fire.

13. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I answer these questions, will you answer mine?

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't. Claiming such is a lie. All those in hell condemned themselves by choosing to sin.

Of course, you believe He created people to see them tormented for ever and ever with no end and no mercy because they refused to believe, and that is, according to you, what a God of justice and wrath would actually do.

Unless, of course, you deny hell or that unrepentant sinners go there for all eternity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do not because they cannot any more than you could.

NO one can. ALL have come short!

Somehow, I get the impression that you want to hold that people have some common ability to choose what is righteous.

That is not Scripture presentation.

There is NOT anyone righteous of their own volition. Not one! (Romans)

EVERYONE has turned away, ALL have gone their own way and not that of righteousness.

Not a single person has authority of their own will to gain God's attention and be redeemed.

John states, "NOT of the will of man..." (John 1)

16. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "
    15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. Cf Ex 33:19

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth." Cf Ex 9:16

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I not answer yours?

Have I not presented to you answers or did I miss something?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh my!

I suppose you think that Hosea and Isaiah were also writing about Egypt?

Like I said, Go back and start in Romans 8 and read through to Romans 10.

Then try to excuse Romans 9 away as God not attending to the very argument you are making. That He is in some manner unfair.

19. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scripture you used said "because they will not"! You are changing the Word of God to fit what you believe. it didn't say "cannot". In order to fit your beliefs you must change words.

20. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you please read the verses again? Paul is not talking about spiritual and eternal destruction here. Comment on those verses don't avoid it by going to other verses

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.