1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your Definition of a Fundamenlist

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Salty, Aug 11, 2020.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still haven't read Ephesians 2:1-9 yet, have you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no axe to grind with any scripture.
    My point was closer to 1 Chronicles 21:24 (a weakness often seen in the 'Social Gospel').

• Like Like x 1
  3. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really should read to verse 10. :)

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the problem. You and Yeshua1 are talking about The Social Gospel (a historical movement). I am talking about the social aspects of the gospel of Jesus, a biblical imperative.

Yeshua1 refuses to engage with scripture on this topic and tries to brand me with the Fox News caricature of "The Social Gospel", and I'm simply talking about the commands in the Bible, NOT separated from the command to make disciples. Yeshua1 refuses to recognize anything but an either/or approach to the question, while I advocate both. I don't know if he is intentionally doing it or if he doesn't recognize that it is not an either/or proposition.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I have we are saved by Grace through faith it is you that has no reading or comprehension of what it says.
    MB.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is just how he likes to post. Lots and lots of posts. It's a number thing.

7. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot speak for him, but I was raised Atheist with a semi-annual pilgrimage to endure the Easter and Christmas services at MANY different churches and experienced too many 'christians' for whom "giving money to support the church's Food Pantry" was their 'good work' (apart from offering God an hour of their time per week). Enough to convince me that Bertrand Russel hit the nail on the head.

God has since shown me that the 'social aspects of the gospel' are not handing a ten dollar bill to a homeless man. That is "giving a man a fish" and an "offering that costs me nothing". Having run with them, they know it as well as God and we know it. The GOSPEL call is to make an offering that actually costs us something ... to spend your time and really invest in someone's life as a friend. To know the heartbreak when they stumble. To pick them up and be their "Barnabas", encouraging them to keep on moving forward.

That is the GOSPEL.
    It starts by dragging them into the church (not the building) and placing an arm of friendship around them.
    You can really only meet needs for people that you know and work to build a relationship with.
    Handing cans of food to strangers is not the GOSPEL.
    Voting for the right leaders is not the GOSPEL.
    Marching for causes is not the GOSPEL.

Each One. Reach One. Teach One. That is disciplining and disciplining is how the world is changed one person at a time.
    Does that make any sense of the "cat" analogy?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a Christian, who upholds the scriptures, i cannot ascribe to things such as abortion on demand, gay weddings, Crt, and Blm, nor using the govt to enforce liberal rules and anti God mindsets! To legalize sin....

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taking stands with liberals and those against the ways Of God is not the way to get where we desire to go!

10. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I desire to go to Heaven so I can be with my LORD.
    I am not an effective evangelist (not my strongest gift).
    I am not called to Preach.
    I have the ability to read Scripture and see some truth clearly flowing from Genesis to Revelation.
    I have a talent for being empathic (not in the supernatural sense) with people and helping them to find the truth of scripture for themselves.
    I can listen. (an underappreciated ability in the world).
    I can answer questions about "MY JESUS". (another underappreciated ability)

So I "take my stand" by listening to what questions people ask and attempting to truthfully answer them to the best of my ability.
    Talk to GOD if you want me changed, He is responsible for the wiring.

I am pretty sure that I am doing what GOD created me to do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm ONLY posting this because it's MHOP, & NOT ANYONE ELSE'S....."They" can post for themselves! Here goes: I was saved in 1966 at what identified herself as an I F Baptist Church. Since before then I had never been either taken to or attended an I F Baptist Church So, I really had no real "Standard(s)" with which I could assess an I F Baptist Church...IOW what this I F Baptist Church said or did I assumed that was what ALL I F Baptist Churches/Organizations said and did. A couple years after that, I moved to another I F Baptist Church, and that I F Baptist Church both said and did many things differently....not necessarily "Sinful" or "Worldly" things, more like taking a somewhat different approach to things. This put me in a somewhat dilemma--which I F Baptist Church was CORRECT, and which I F Baptist Church was incorrect? I asked the Pastor of the second I F Baptist Church what he thought I should do, and IMHO anyway, he gave me some of the wisest "approach" to the situation at hand: "If one I F Baptist Church did some things differently than another I F Baptist Church does, see FOR YOURSELF what the Bible says about it, and then base YOUR OWN opinion(s) on the matter!! "Think for YOURSELF" was at that time a novel idea to me. You see, over the years I've noticed that the "average" I F Baptist Church's PASTOR said and/or did, that was THE FINAL WORD!! IOW, to me it seemed that the "average" member of most I F Baptist Churches was NEVER either taught or encouraged to think for him-/her-self! Maybe that's one of the reasons why there are so many I F Baptist Churches "Splits"!! Comments are welcomed, especially those that provide a sound, Biblical reason(s) for whatever position you may or may not take on this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's grace. God's gracious gift of faith. It's what it says and what I believe. Unfortunately Roman Catholics add works.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    wrong thread

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fundamentalist?

That's giving money to a clairvoyant.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. Fundamentalists don't believe they are saved by grace through faith plus works. You are by no means a fundamentalist.

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but he would certainly give them an earful!

Just before he died, at the last Sword Conference he attended (in a wheelchair), he wanted the crowd to sing the Gaither song, "I'm So Glad I'm a Part of the Family of God." His successor, Curtis Hutson, refused to allow it and took up all of the handouts.

John R. Rice was a fundamentalist all the way, but he deeply loved all those whose ways he opposed. He prayed for and loved Billy Graham until he died, and Billy and his wife (in Europe at the time) sent a huge floral wreath to the funeral. I'll attach a photo of it I took at the time.

21 JRR funeral, Dec 31,1980 Graham wreath.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would all do well to follow their example of love.

Thank you for sharing this personal story.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, heaven is very interesting place, as now Dr Sproul and Dr Rice Dr McGee and Dr Graham, all telling each other each was wrong, and Jesus there to point all that each one of them got something wrong!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kind of doubt that Heaven will have negativity, such as "You were wrong!" :confused: But I'm sure they are all having wonderful fellowship in Heaven.

• Agree Agree x 2