1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the original topic was the 21st Century KJV, not your rabbit trail.

Now another of your errors is assuming that "idiomatic" (an adjective) means the same as "idiom" (a noun). They are not the same. An "idiomatic" rendering is not the rendering of an idiom. Here is a definition: "idiomatic Peculiar to a language" (Mario Pei and Frank Gaynor, Dictionary of Linguistics, p. 96). Nida equates the word with "natural" in his book with Taber, The Theory and Practice of Translation. (Have you read that one?)

If you are going to pose on the BB as a translation expert, the least you could do is get your definitions right. It reminds me of the time back when I used the term "translation by concordance" on the BB, and you jumped on that and began using it in your posts. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am starting to feel sorry for you Van. You insist on repeatedly making a public fool of yourself. You just can't seem to get anything right in this thread. You display your inability to understand the difference between an idiom and a metaphor, and fail to identify a metaphor when you see one.

You make claims on the Priesthood of the Believer which are thinly disguised attacks on the salvation of other posters.

And the sad thing is that I actually agree with you that idiomatic language should be literally translated in the text and explained in a foot note. But that has nothing to do with language, syntax, or linguistics. It has more to do with my over-insistence on literal translation. (And I know that John believes an idiom should be literally translated as another similar idiom, if possible.) But I am an old fossil who thinks any non-literal translation belongs in a foot note and not in the text.

Just look at the grief the KJV has suffered for over 400 years for the translation "God forbid!"

But you keep making ignorant mistakes a 1st year "bone head" Greek student wouldn't make. (And I taught "bone head" Greek 101 at the seminary level for 25 years so I saw a lot of "bone head" comments, opinions, and mistakes.)

Give it up, Van. You are in way over your head. Walk away. Quit while you are behind. Never pick a fight with an 800 pound gorilla. (Sorry John, nothing personal, just a metaphor. :D )

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the correct term is "figures of speech," which includes such terms as idiom, metaphor, hyperbole and the like. One author claims there are 217 different types of figures of speech in the Bible.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Grief JOJ, stick to the truth. You made the error, my view is rock solid. This is not about your defining terms, it is about the best way to translate the Bible into English so that all can understand and grow.

And did I pose as a translation expert? Nope, yet another false and vicious charge, from JOJ.

And using the same English word or phrase for each source language word or phrase meaning is also the best way to translate. :)

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Case closed. :)

6. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should this be a footnote???? ;)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I think that complaint ship has already sailed!

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has.

No, your view (and mine) is in the vast minority among bible translators.

Words mean things. When you demonstrate you do not now what those words mean then correction should be gratefully accepted.

Yes. You insisted your translation choices are, alone, correct.

Let's see how that works in practice.

John 3:5 "Jesus answered, “Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can’t enter into God’s Kingdom.
    6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7 Don’t marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’
    8 The spirit blows where it wants to, and you hear its sound, but don’t know where it comes from and where it is going. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Or:

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and wind, he can’t enter into God’s Kingdom.
    6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the wind is wind.
    7 Don’t marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’
    8 The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear its sound, but don’t know where it comes from and where it is going. So is everyone who is born of the wind.”

Hmmmm. I don't think so.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    End note? Even a gorilla's foot is pretty intimidating. Especially when it is on my chest! :D:D:D

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wish. Even though I disagree with John, I will submit to his greater authority regarding this matter acquired by means of his education in this discipline, his experience in this discipline, and his obviously superior knowledge in this matter.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh this is good. Van is too funny. I can't stop chuckling.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've shown you hundreds of times where you living in FantasyLand.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow - You assert something yet Dr. Wallace doesn't use the word "idiom" in this description at all. Even Dr. Wallace doesn't admit the verse contains an idiom.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, even when it is obvious the whole dust=up was manufactured, as my view has been vindicated by Dr. Wallace and TC, there are those still hurling disparagement. Go figure :)

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of:

"Even though I disagree with John, I will submit to his greater authority regarding this matter acquired by means of his education in this discipline, his experience in this discipline, and his obviously superior knowledge in this matter" didn't you understand?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is not worldly accreditation and the accolades of men. My view has been supported by the NET version of Psalm 10:15 where the idiom was footnoted. JOJ falsely claimed that approach was ridiculous.

Note how they want to talk about my character and qualifications rather than how best to translate figurative language.such as the Hebrew Idiom is to use arm to convey strength and power. Some versions provide no footnote, some remove arm and put in power, but the best is to provide the literal translation and then footnote the idiomatic meaning.

Thank God for the NET footnotes.

We do not need to dumb down scripture, we do not need to indoctrinate, we need to educate.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van's theme song is from the Coasters' : Why's Everybody Always Pickin' On Me?

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me try one more time. I would be happy to acknowledge your qualifications as soon as you tell me what they are. In fact, I will once again forego asking for "official" qualifications and assume you have educated yourself if you'll only answer the questions I've already posed:

1. Are you self-educated to fluency in any foreign language?
    2. Have you self-educated yourself in Greek and/or Hebrew to fluency in reading?
    3. Have you read completely through any technical books on translation? Even one?
    4. Have you ever actually done any Bible translation on your own?

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JOJ, your attempt to change the subject from your erroneous ridiculous claim, demonstrates you seem rather full of yourself.
    Folks, the case is closed, the best way to present figurative expressions whose literal meaning is not the author's intended meaning is to translate the expression literally, and then footnote the meaning or possible meanings. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.