A Day of Unrest and Riots in Atlanta and the Most Powerful Job in the Country

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. I don't understand myself. Freedom seems opposed by incarceration. Liberty, I don't know.

2. xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to the shotgun in Law Enforcement? You used to see them visibly mounted in police cars. I think it was a deterrent.

3. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainly replaced by the M-4.

4. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

5. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yesterday I heard a local prosecutor being interviewed about the shoot on the radio and he said unequivocally that the taser is not considered a deadly weapon and that it was a "bad shoot". Today I heard a local lawyer on the radio saying that the same prosecutor was calling the taser a deadly weapon when it is used against civilians. Go figure.

6. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  7. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Using a stolen weapon on police? A weapon that could then be used to secure a lethal weapon? Or strike and kill the incapacitated officer?

What would you do? Ignore your fellow officers and wish them luck?

8. Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While things got crazy since the police officer was in a fight and lost his taser. He shot the man in the back.

Autopsy: Rayshard Brooks died of ‘gunshot wounds of the back’

I was near a gun fight once, and it only happened because a perpetrator ran away and the security guard tried to shoot him in the back. That was reckless since there were many civilians right there, and it was an unarmed robbery.

Also, if the perpetrator is running, just let him go. Shooting someone in the back unless they are armed with a deadly weapon or you suspect they will commit a murder, rape, or other heinous crime just seems wrong.

To me it is sensible to say it was poor judgment by the officer that used deadly force. Poor judgment with the use of deadly force gets you terminated. The real debate is should he face criminal charges. IMO involuntary manslaughter should be the ,maximum he faces.

9. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Running away empty-handed yes. Running away using a weapon on other police?

10. Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess this gets into the whole escalation and deescalation debate. In a real way, the officer just should have let the guy go with his taser. I could buy one online.

IMO police are too quick to escalate. I've seen it on more than one occasion. Like the security guard who could have shot civilians I talked of, just let the guy go. You have his car and ID already, establish a perimeter and get him since he has nowhere to go.

11. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's your reason? So, your criteria is whether or not something can be bought on the open market? Guns and knives can be bought. Do you believe if suspect flees in a car and attempts to run over an officer, they should just let him go? After all, you can buy cars online.

Have you really thought this through?

12. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Christian of you to promote shooting someone in the back. Have you ever killed anybody... probably not right.

why don’t you ask Reynolds what he would do since he is or was a cop.

13. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This from a guy that turns his back on the unborn every election (with a disproportionate number of unborn black babies). Then compare those to a guy stealing police weapons and using them on police.

Yeah, keep questioning the christianity of others. :rolleyes:

14. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you assume, state false innuendo and basically talk outa your arse. But this is something you do that others on the board can attest to.When are you going to grow up... or is it that is seriously a problem for you?!? Do me one huge favor, if this is something you can’t own up to then kindly stay away and this will be your last warning.

15. xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to generally find your perspectives and arguments very similar to those of Juan Williams on The Five.

16. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would like to see police get a non lethal weapon that can take down someone and more easily incapacitate them, perhaps an AI drone device. It should be launched from the police car, hovering, and waiting and on command from the police strike the suspect with something, maybe like spiderman uses that wraps him up in lines that hobble him so he can not run away or move his arms. Or maybe trip up a fleeing suspect, I would think something interesting could be engineered. You know if you fired a rocket with a line on the end it could wrap tight around someone if one end was secured tieing them up. It would need to angle its thrust to go in a circle back towards the suspect and would need some technology to know which way to move. I am just thinking out loud, but if you come up with something good, you will be very rich building a better mouse trap.

17. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is not whether or not its a deadly weapon. Police are taught any weapon that can incapacitate the officer is to be treated as a deadly weapon.
    If that is not the case, the training must be changed. Officers are simply doing what they are trained to do .

You are correct. Most lawyers are hypocrites.

18. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know. I was not there. If someone was firing a weapon at me, I would shoot them. If they were firing it over their shoulder, they would probably get hit in the back.
    I have had the same Taser class that officer had. My take is he did exactly what he was trained to do. Officer may have thought he was being shot at with a firearm. Ever heard a Taser deploy? One reason officers are trained to shout "Taser, Taser" before they deploy it is so other officers wont mistake it for a gun shot and start shooting.

19. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t watch tv so I don’t know the reference.

20. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why did he get fired?