1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America in Bible Prophecy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

On the Contrary - Christ said in Matt 24 to be on the lookout for the abomination of desolation predicted by Daniel - (in Dan 12 and in Dan 9).

He said of that future day and future persecution - that it would be unlike any that had gone before it.

In Daniel 12 says that the resurrection of the saints comes after the great persecution "such as has never been before".

Daniel 12
    And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued.
    2"" Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.

Your method requires that we ignore too many of these details

==========

As you note - both Matt 24 and Luke 21 point to some "common signs" that are not unique --

7 ""For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.
    8 "" But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

I am going to stick with the Matt 24 account of the same subject as we see in Luke 21 for the sake of simplicity and consistency with my statements so far.

After referencing the "common signs" -- the ones you quote above -- Jesus points to the "singular signs".

21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.
    22 ""Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

Jesus uses the same language as Daniel 12 - pointing to a future tribulation totally unlike anything before or after it.

Interesting. But a far more minor issue than the text is addressing.

In fact the Emperor Hadrian wiped out all the jews from palestine long after the 70 AD destruction and then made it illegal for Jews to live in Palestine -- for the next 500 years!

But more specific to Christ's warning in Matt 24 is not "Persecution of Jews" but rather "persecution" of the followers of Christ -- i.e. the dark ages which extended far beyond 500 years.

There were many centuries of dark ages brutal persecution ahead of the Christian Church -- and "God noticed" as it turns out.

in Christ,

Bob

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Do you think believing in the Rapture is extreme?

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It depends which group your in. I'll get to Bob's later assertions as soon as he's finnished. However, not how he says there's not enough detail in my assertion then next he says there detail being ignored. Which is it?

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I thank you for adding more detail in your response -- but I stand by the statement that for your summation of the text to hold up - your argument nicely sidesteps/omits a number of very key details found in the text -- which I then highlighted.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Which group I'm in? What do you mean? I do believe in a pre-trib rapture.

I find it odd that depending on which view I hold, you or anyone can label it "extreme."

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The group that believes in the rapture and say "this is what I believe but I could be wrong and God is right no matter what I think" and the other group that says "God and I are on the same page and the rapture is true and anyone who does not believe it will burn". Those are the two groups I'm thinking about.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't know anyone who believes that people who disagree with the rapture will "burn!" If there are, they are probably hyper-dispensationalists and I don't even know anyone like that.

This is taking a really far out view there and making it sound like it's popularly held.

Why don't we discuss the subject instead of extremists. I could bring up the extreme hyper Calvinists who call me a heretic (including here on the BB) for not being a Calvinist. I've run into more of them than anyone else as far as extremism goes. I mean, we could go on like this all day with extreme views that are held only by a small fringe.

I consider it an insult even to bring this other view up. Everyone I know who believes in the Rapture is very sound biblically and does not go off on end times stuff.

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If one is choosing to ignore Revelation then they are missing a specific blessing given by God to His children. It begins; Rev 1:3 Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand.

I sure don't want to be one of those who ignores what God has said in Revelation and is preoccupied with the things of this world such as building wealth for a cushy retirement while the world starves around them.

Careful what you say about God's word and Revelation. Knowledge of the end times and Jesus' return carries a special blessing from God to His children. I would not place it at the bottom of my priorities.

:thumbsup:

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well stated Steaver!!

Covers my feelings pretty completely

Also re: an earlier post, I have never known or heard of a "rapturest" that believes you are doomed to hell just because you don't believe in the rapture.

Far as I know, that is not a requirement for salvation, but I do believe you are missing a part of His blessing by denying same.

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

And if you take it out of a 1st century fulfillment then you ignore that very verse which states these things were "at hand". And in case one misses it verse 3 re-states it.

Then I would encourage you not to ignore the time-statements.

Would those be the same "end times" that the NT writers said were present in their generation?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because it says "the time is at hand" this somehow equates to what? One day, two days, taht very moment? To assign a specific span of time to this without supportive scripture would be subjective. It needs to be evaluated objectively with the full counsel of God's word.

First of all, Revelation is given as seen here from the perspective of the Lord and not from a human view point.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The same Greek words appear in Luke 18:7-8 (en tachei), where the delay is clearly a prolonged one....

Luk 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
    Luk 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Now, should I go with subjective exegesis with no supportive scripture or objective exegesis allowing scripture to interpret scripture?

Yes, they would be. The last days began with Jesus' ministry. It doesn't say the last two days, or one hundred days, or 1260 days, or 120000 days.
    :jesus:

12. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

#52 Grasshopper, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

"Near at hand" is true for everyone who reads the Bible because we are to expectantly wait for Jesus - we are to be "on the alert" as though he is coming back at any moment. If the scriptures had said that his return is far away or a long time away, what would that mean? That would make it even more confusing.

We are to be ready for Jesus to come back anytime, so "near at hand" expresses that. It expresses a day by day expectancy for those in Peter's time and for Christians in 500 AD, in 1200 AD, in 1800 AD, and now (and future if Jesus tarries).

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen!!

Preach it! (as Brother Bob used to say)

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And again -- right on!

The Bible is inspired by God "ALL scripture is given by inspiration from God and IS profitable for reproof and for doctrine" 2Tim 3:16.

That includes Matt 24, 2Thess2, 1Thess 4, 1Cor 15, 2Cor 5, the entire book of Revelation, the book of Daniel as well as certain prophetic chapters in Isaiah, Zechariah and Ezek that deal with end time events.

They must be read, studied, prayed about - and the warnings heeded.

in Christ,

Bob

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The phrase "at hand" in scripture doesn't mean it's near. It means it has arrived and is within that person's grabbing distance (hence the phrase "at hand'). When John saw Jesus and said "The Kingdom of God is at hand", he was saying "The Kingdom of God is here" it has arrived and is withing the grasp of anyone who wishes to experience it.
    That very moment. It means "the time is here".

17. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! Just like Marcia explained. Everyday the kingdom of God is "at hand" just as the last days are "at hand" everyday.

:jesus:

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

20. Grasshopper

Site Supporter