1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Political Weiner set to Legalize Nudity in Frisco...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So let me try to clarify if I might Paul.

Your conservative, tea party, prophet of God mindset dictates that Christians avoid areas where wickedness is rampant, that Christians instead should march on city hall and protest the protesters.

My liberal anti-Bush (I still don't see how those two go together) mindset dictates that Christians should try to see change achieved by supporting churches like Hamilton Square. That instead of fleeing Christians should consider spending their holidays going to places like San Francisco and helping churches like this reach out to people who are in desperate need the gospel.

I wonder which path Jesus would have taken?

You imply that I posted to 'cause trouble' or 'be difficult.' I posted because I am tired of seeing Christians advised to flee the people who most need the gospel. I am tired of the mindset that 'if we get too close to those wicked horrible filthy sinners they are going to defile us.' That wasn't what Jesus said or did. He did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Instead of retreating I contend that we should be advancing like never before.

If I am privileged to one day visit Hamilton Square I will go and offer to go out on the streets to meet these wicked people and show them the love of Christ despite the fact that the rest of the world rejects them. I won't be joining a Tea Party march on City Hall.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I Wonder, Too?

Let's leave it there. No one wins this ridiculous round of views. Let's say you are correct. My best to you as you deal with the sin of such dens of inequity.

As I said in the last post: "As for those living there, if they can hold to the values of the Bible, and live a life that is pleasing to God (not man), then stay there and try to be all you can be until the Lord returns."

That doesn't sound like I suggesting anyone, who feels led to do as you say you'd be PROUD to do, to do it! Personally, I think you'd be in over your head, but, you need to find that out for yourself.

Let's hear it for the Tea Party Folks!

#22 righteousdude2, Oct 16, 2011
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And, my friend, my best to you as you join the protests to march on City Hall.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I can't let this baseless charge go unchallenged. Where did I say PROUD? My words were that I would be privileged if I had the chance to visit a work like Hamilton Square and help in their ministry.

As far as being 'in over my head' I am 100% sure you are correct. I am every time I am in a difficult situation. That is what I am grateful that it does not depend on me.

#24 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 16, 2011
  5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The SBC is a den of inequity. Did you know that? Because women aren't allowed to serve freely in the same roles men do.

"Iniquity."

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thus says..... ?

7. bacustic

bacustic New Member

C4K:

Be encouraged. You have the Spirit of God residing in you and the power of the Word in hand. You won't be left "over your head". Thank God we are not left to our own efforts to be light in the darkness. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you need a worship pastor in Ireland we should hook up!

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Let Me Remind You of What The Bible Says...

....In Luke 9:3-5 and Matthew 10:14 we are reminded to shake off the dust and move on down the road from the house/city that doesn't receive the Word.

Proverbs 13:20, "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed."

1 John 1:5-6 says, “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.”

1 Corinthians 15:33 says, “Do not be misled; bad company corrupts good character.”

Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

1 Thess. 4:3 - It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality.

And Finally, the Bible does tell us to FLEE/Run from sexual immorality in 1 Cor. 6:18. in the New Living Transaltion "Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body." In the God's Word Translation "Stay away from sexual sins. Other sins that people commit don't affect their bodies the same way sexual sins do. People who sin sexually sin against their own bodies." The Bible in Basic English Version says, "Keep away from the desires of the flesh. Every sin which a man does is outside of the body; but he who goes after the desires of the flesh does evil to his body." The Websters Bible Translation says, "Flee lewdness. Every sin that a man doeth, is without the body; but he that committeth lewdness, sinneth against his own body".

And the best commentary of all is: in Barnes Notes on the Bible - "Flee fornication - A solemn command of God - as explicit as any that thundered from Mount Sinai. None can disregard it with impunity - none can violate it without being exposed to the awful vengeance of the Almighty. There is force and emphasis in the word "flee" φεύγατε pheugate. Man should escape from it; he should not stay to reason about it; to debate the matter; or even to contend with his propensities, and to try the strength of his virtue. There are some sins which a man can resist; some about which he can reason without danger of pollution. But this is a sin where a man is safe only when he flies; free from pollution only when he refuses to entertain a thought of it; secure when he seeks a victory by flight, and a conquest by retreat. Let a man turn away from it without reflection on it and he is safe. Let him think, and reason, and he may be ruined. 'The very passage of an impure thought through the mind leaves pollution behind it.' An argument on the subject often leaves pollution; a description ruins; and even the presentation of motives against it may often fix the mind with dangerous inclination on the crime. There is no way of avoiding the pollution but in the manner prescribed by Paul; there is no man safe who will not follow his direction. How many a young man would be saved from poverty, want, disease, curses, tears, and hell, could these two words be made to blaze before him like the writing before the astonished eyes of Belshazzar, Daniel 5 - and could they terrify him from even the momentary contemplation of the crime.

Every sin ... - This is to be taken comparatively. Sins in general; the common sins which people commit do not immediately and directly affect the body, or waste its energies, and destroy life. Such is the case with falsehood, theft, malice, dishonesty, pride, ambition, etc. They do not immediately and directly impair the constitution amid waste its energies.

Is without the body - Does not immediately and directly affects the body. The more immediate effect is on the mind; but the sin under consideration produces an immediate and direct effect on the body itself."

What I understand this verse and its extensive commentary to be saying is that we should avoid sexual immorality at all costs, do not try to reason with it; and flee from its presence.

It would be unwise, in my opinion, to place oneself, and their loved ones in a place where sexual immorality freely runs loose. :thumbs:

Even Joseph, when in the presence of Potipher's wife, decided to flee, rather than stay and reason with her.

This is wisdom, and let me note that as far as we know, Joseph had no issues with sexual sin. There was every reason for him to remain and try to convince this lustful, seductive woman to se the evil with her, but he chose to run.

So, yes I would suggest that anyone considering a visit to Frisco, to avoid it at all costs. And as for those living there, to cover and clothe themselves in His Word and armor whenever they are out and about on the streets of this city.

San Francisco is more evil and seductive than Las Vegas, and the spirit hanging in the air over Vegas is one of seduction, too! This city should also be avoided at all costs.

Most of the time, we find ourselves in DIFFICULT situations by no choice of our own. I can't think of too many believers who go out looking for the most seductive, difficult situation possible in order to prove their self to God.

There is a difference between getting into a difficult situation by now fault of our own, and choosing to willingly be there.

While I realize that you may be a very strong man of God (spiritually speaking), I also think it would be unwise not to give the devil his due in some situations. You really could be over your head and not even realize it until your head is corrupted, and your heart turned away from God.

As as far as what I meant when I said to stand up to city hall. I do it all the time, by going to meetings and making my voice heard.

Marching and protesting to affect change do not work. In fact, most of the time protesters are arrested, or more frustrated when a deaf ear is turned from their cause.

More can be done by making your voice known in a civil, lawful way, and then by voting on the issue you believe in. We are a nation of laws, and we must learn to obey those laws and work within the perimeters of the laws in which we live.

Happy hunting in Frisco my brother! :thumbsup:

#28 righteousdude2, Oct 16, 2011
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So Paul, you really believe that your plethora of supposed proof texts mean that it is God's will for us the let the people in places like San Francisco die and go to hell rather than take a chance that we might be tainted?

Jesus said go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. I never read where He said go into all the world and go to meetings at Town Hall to make the world a nicer, safer place.

To address your 'in over your head' idea again it is not my own supposed strength I depend on. I am not a spiritualy strong man, but I do have a strong Spirit dwelling in me.

#29 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 16, 2011
  10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please Let Me Know When....

....You plan to be in San Francisco. Until that time, quit blowing off steam about those unfortunate souls. If you are going to put your talk into action and actually go there and do something, then let me know, and I'll be sure to cover you with prayer, because you will need prayer. Until then, everything, you say is like putting a car in neutral and running the engine at high speed.

It is wasting gas, polluting the air, and making a lot of unnecessary noise. :sleep:

Are you going to San Francisco Roger, or are you grandstanding? I am not planning on going there. I will pray for anyone who decides to answer his call to make that a real mission, and not some hypothetical place to disagree over. :tear:

So the clock is ticking! The ball is in your court. You know how I feel, I don't have anything to prove...however, you do. Are you going to back up your words and buy a ticket and go into Ninevah (San Francisco) and preach on the street corners, or are you simply being disagreeable as usual, and continue to fire back another response? :BangHead:

#30 righteousdude2, Oct 16, 2011
  11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

We are talking about a principle here - I am in my own 'San Francisco' here in Ireland. I have been praying about a trip to Hamilton Square for ages to see how they do their marvelous work to see what we can do here. I am trying to reach those poor unfortunate souls on our own streets.

So, should Christians let people in places like San Francisco die and go to hell for fear of being tainted by those nasty sinners? Simple question.

Do you think we could deal with the issue rather than personalising the discussion?

#31 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

As you said in an earlier post when you were going to leave the discussion, we disagree. I believe the cause of Christ is best served by engaging the lost and sharing to gospel, no matter how bad their sin. You believe that we best spend our time going to City Hall seeking reform.

Sounds like we each need to try to serve God our way and leave the results up to him.

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Sounds Like a Plan!

May I point out to you (one more time), that it was you who personalized this entire dialogue. I was simply sharing a fact about the possibility of the city approving one more seductive form of sin, when you accused me of suggesting that we "abandon" the city.

I don't believe that this statement (Pray for those who love God and find it nearly impossible to get out of "Dodge," but, at the same time, avoid this city at all costs, unless you want to see what a modern-day Sodom would look like in the first person) suggests we abandon the city. It was just a warning to those who may be planning toVISIT the city to consider the types of sin going on within the limits of the city! If they want to go there, buyer beware!

So, maybe you need to revisit what it was that caused you to jump all over me, and make accusations that were not true.

I was reporting the truth, but, NEVER said, not to quit serving the Lord and saving people.

How you got ministering out of being cautious about visiting the city. I don't know.

I hope you, and I can truly get back to doing what the Lord has called us for, and to knock off jumping on the dais everytime I say something that doesn't sit well with you.

As I said in all my posts on this topic, it was simply my opinion. As for the verses, I gave those in order to back up the fact that if you are going there to save the lost, itt may not be in accordance with His will. I would not encourage anyone living and serving Him in that city, to leave and forget about their work for the Kingdom. Those people who live there are worth their efforts!

Again, this entire post was to report yet one more atrocity against the values and morals of society, which the city seems to favor doing. And it never had a thing to do with ministry, or abandoning ministry.

IT HAD TO DO WITH VISITING THE CITY. AND IT WAS MERELY A RECOMMENDATION, NOT A COMMAND!

I don't care who decides to minister, where they decide to minister, and who they decide to minister to. That (ministry) is between the person and our God. God will give the person the wisdom and protection needed when He calls them to do things for Him!

I hope on that issue, we can agree???

#33 righteousdude2, Oct 17, 2011
  14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I appreciate the fact that you can indeed post a balanced view, though there is no need to 'yell' and that only heats up a discussion.

Your viewpoint is valid, there is no need to sensationalise news stories this way. I contend that this was a great opportunity to remind us of the desperate need of the gospel, as evidenced by the kind of sin you describe.

If this had been the original post, apart from the being yelled at, I could have agreed.

BTW, an 'attack' on your point of view is not an attack on you. A question is not an attack. You have now answered the question about whether or not you think churches and Christians should abandon the city. We kept personages out of the discussion until you put me to the acid test to say that in order to prove I believe the way I did I had to fly to San Francisco.

#34 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 17, 2011
  15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I used to hope that S.F. would be shaken and fall off into the ocean. (Good riddance I believed) Same for New Orleans. What a dark city! Why didn't the hurricane finish off that evil city? But, I realized that in S.F., in New Orleans, and all over there are godly people there in the midst of the sin. They are not like Lot who was living like the ungodly people around him. These folks are ministering. These folks are winning people to Christ. These folks do speak up in city council meetings, etc. Should they be cast into the ocean too? Should a hurricane blow them away? And, what about the wicked. Some will come to know the Lord because of the light that is shining in the midst of intense darkness. Who am I to declare such judgment? God please forgive me for such a callous attitude when, but for Christ, I was destined for the same hell that the unrepentant in S.F. are headed for.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

What does nudity have to do with fornication? What is the rape rate in nudist camps?

You married men over 50 - do you think unwanted pregnancy and rape rate would rise if your wives walked around nude in public? When I was a teenage the first female I ever was wearing a bikini was over 50 and at least 50 pounds overweight. She didn't stimulate my teenaged hormones at all.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Bill based on the bible do you think God wants man running around naked irregardless of the effects real or possible?

18. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

I am a native San Franciscan.

I am also a close to 40 year member of Hamilton Square Baptist.

Yes, in the case of morals, San Francisco and NT Corinth are cut from the same cloth. But, the Holy Spirit told Paul, "I have much people here." The same goes for San Francisco.

As for the "on every corner" statement, don't go into the Castro District. Most of the rest of the city is pretty family safe. (I say "most of the rest" as there are always outliers.)

San Francisco's problem with public male nudity is rooted in the state law on the subject. The law is quite clear when it comes to public female nudity. However, if there is no arousal there is effectively no violation of state law. Without arousal it's at the most an infraction which the police have to see personally or an individual has to make a citizen's arrest.

Concerning the idea Christians should give San Francisco a wide berth, all I can say is hog wash. Unless you're going to bypass New York City, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and other big cities back East. Further, it is such thinking which has enabled evil to seemingly triumph. It is said, "Bravery is running towards the sound of battle not away from it."

19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great to Hear From You

You did a lot to clear the air. It sounds like your church is doing a great service to those who live in the city.

Thanks for the note, and blessings to you and yours! :wavey:

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for a personal perspective on what I have been saying about your church and the great work you are doing. If I ever make a trip to the US west coast it will be to visit you and see what you are doing to see what w can implement here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.