1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Arminianism and Calvinism part 2

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by MennoSota, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be possible in some cases. But the majority of these people attend these types of churches, affirm the Apostles Creed, repeat the Lord's prayer, have Christ icons in their church, get baptized, take communion, say prayers to Jesus, they are most definitely seeking the God of the Bible and Jesus.

It flat out contradicts the Calvinist's interpretation of Psalm 14:2.

How do you reconcile that?

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just not a fan of reading the Yiddish Long Translation.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am. I know it's rough but you'll just have to deal with it. :)

KJV,ASV, and YLT are the three I reference most.

4. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are the synergist. Proof of it is all these post having no confidence that the word of God can speak for itself.
    "Synergist and monergist" are Calvinist made up terms, Christians never describe themselves by those terms.

I can 100% quote scripture and say it means what it says, without any comment and a person will get it.

No body discovers Calvinism on their own. Even John Calvin interprets it from what people of the past thought.

No one reads scripture comes to a Calvinist conclusion then says wow well where is the Calvinist church where are the guys who believe what I believe?

No its always some uneducated reeled in by someone else.

What a person reads:

Romans 10:10

10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

What a Calvinist teaches:

Romans 10:10
    10for with the heart a person believes, after he is made righteous, and with the mouth he confesses, after salvation.

One of those lines above is the holy scripture with the TRUE ORDER of things. The other is FALSE a LIE, not found in the holy bible.

5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You believe everyone deserves hell, so you made God in your image.

How about letting God speak for himself rather then you putting together your own judgement?

Show us a bible verse where God declares "all deserve hell."

You don't have one because you worship a graven image of yourself.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many of them are doing works that will not merit eternal life. They are still in heart rebellion and superstition.....still lost....

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kyredneck... You just stirred me up!... AMEN BROTHER!... Brother Glen:Thumbsup

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but we can not read more than is there.
    It does not say all that God draws will come. Irresistable grace, though I know it is not your term of choice, is my only major hang up with Calvinism. If I resolved it, the minor hang ups with election would fall into place.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we not all sinners? Does not sin make us guilty before Holy God?

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple. Let God (and His word) be true and every man a liar.

They are not seeking the True God of the bible nor are they seeking the true salvation of the bible. They are seeking a god made in their own image who will save them according to their will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

John 6:44 "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Efficacious grace. What part of God's Grace is a failure? What is it that God wants to accomplish but just can't seem to get it done?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the Father "giving" the same as The Father "drawing"? Does He draw some that do not respond and thus are not given?
    No part of God's grace is a failure. If He offers that grace as irresistable, then it would fail if the person successfully resisted it. That's the point. I am not convinced that He offers it as irresistable. A local pastor I know recently said "God is sovereign. In His sovereignty, He could make a sovereign decision to offer a resistable invitation of grace to a sinner." Honestly, I don't know.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are seeking God. And not any God, but the one true God of the Bible. This contradicts the Calvinist assertion that "no one seeks God."

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure they are. They are wrong on soteriology, but they are seeking Jesus.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me they are.

All that He draws come.

I agree.

I am not sure what you mean by "He offers that grace as irresistable." His Grace is sufficient. His Grace never fails (as you stated above). I have no idea what you mean by "He offers that grace as irresistable." His Grace is His Grace. If it fails to accomplish that which He intended it to accomplish either He is not God or His Grace is not His Grace.

Sorry, but you are not making any sense. What do you mean by "He offers it as irresistable." What is not efficacious about efficacious Grace?

That is why I am trying to help.

I asked you a couple questions several posts ago, whether you were a pastor and if you are seminary trained. You did not answer either question. The questions were not merely out of curiosity. The answers would affect how I answer your questions. :)

16. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's perfectly fine that you use it. I'll just have to scrounge around to find my "How to translate Yiddish to English" dictionary.

17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are they seeking the true God of the Bible or the god of their denomination? There are many who come out of curiosity. Remember Paul at Athens when he was brought before the Aeropagus. Those who were curious were not seeking...other than to increase their own selfish pride about what they knew.
    Many atheists know the Bible better than church goers. That doesn't mean they seek God.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The God of the Bible. Jesus of Nazareth. The Alpha and Omega. The Lamb of God.

These people go to church weekly. They have Bibles. They are baptized. They take communion. They bring their children up in the church. They are not merely "curious".

When visitors come to your church would you say they are not seeking God?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

19. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Satan knows God as the God of the Bible, Jesus of Nazareth. The Alpha and Omega. The Lamb of God.
    Just knowing doesn't mean seeking.
    Just going to church doesn't mean seeking. Taking communion doesn't mean seeking. Bringing kids to church doesn't mean seeking.
    When visitors cone to my church I would say they are curious to see if they would like my church. That curiosity does not equal seeking God. Many people come to church out of curiosity and to feed their own ego, not because they are drawn by God.
    I went to Fountain Street Baptist church in Grand Rapids, MI one Sunday to hear a liberal pastor named Duncan Littlefair. He gave the gospel. Stopped. Took his Bible and threw it at the wall and began to tell everyone what a pile of **** that message was. He went on a profanity laced tirade condemning Calvinists and all who preach the gospel. His church was full. Shortly afterward the church became a Unitarian/Universalist church.
    So...going to church has no correlation to knowing whom God is urging to seek him.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many words and phrases do Calvinist's need to redefine and parse in order to make reality squeeze into their theology?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.