1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best BBQ

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Jun 5, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing our barbeque discussion started, where else, in the fundamentalist forum! All in good fun, I hope.
    While brisket is "the thing" in Texas, quite a few places have good pulled pork. I do think that has progressed more in recent years. The first time I recall eating pork bbq was on our way to Benton, Kentucky. It was in Mayfield, I think, and seems like the location had been featured in some movie. It's kind of vague in my mind now. Growing up, we ate lots of pork (bacon, sausage, ham, loin, chops) -- lots more than beef -- but very little bbq of any kind, whether beef, pork, or chicken. We were on a farm, my mother did 99% of the cooking, she didn't do any bbq-ing, and we ate what she cooked.

While in north Georgia years ago, we ate at the Purple Pig in Cherry Log one night. It was good, but they were "out of pork." Go figure! I also ate at the one in Ellijay with all the pig cutouts on the hill -- Poole's according to my Google search (I didn't remember the name, just the pigs!)

Concerning sausage, I love the different way they make it in Lockhart, Texas (different from any we can get around here). We get ours from Black's, but I think all the Lockhart bbq joints have it. Texas Monthly claims to know The Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas, but they usually forget East Texas exists when they do restaurant reviews.

Texas (and therefore probably our bbq, too) is an amalgamation of Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi. That tells you a lot about what's right about us -- and what's wrong with us! ;)

Tell us about your barbeque!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was born on Ohio, grew up eating buckwheat cakes in western Maryland.

But I've lived in eastern North Carolina longer than anywhere else. And as an adopted son of the land of the longleaf pine, I'll defend our vinegar based pork BBQ against all opponents .

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get the best BBQ at the "cook offs" they have around here. The competition cookers put the restaurants to shame.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like vinegar based sauce. That is what is very common here in North Georgia. My favorite is the mustard based sauces in the low country of SC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vinegar based sauce is pretty tasty and very southern. If I am not mistaken it is also very popular in North Carolina BBQ, as well.

6. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my neck of the woods, we have a place called, "Oscars." They are not a restaurant, but rather have a smoker cart stationed outside of a grocery store and they do BB ribs, spare ribs, pulled pork and smoked polish sausages. They use a oak and hickory for their smoke and their own secret recipe rub. I had the spare ribs and I must say, it is some of the best BBQ I have had. You don't need any sauce. In fact, sauce would ruin it. It is just that good. Serve it with baked beans and cole slaw and you have good eatin' let me tell you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kansas City has the best BBQ. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely need to try authentic KC BBQ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cincinnati style Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce is popular here. It's a tomatoey, vinergary, sweetish sauce that I keep on hand for when I do bbq. Brisket and pork both are common around here, but probably pork more so.

[add]

I like Cincinnati style chili also. Actually I'm a chili lover, have made several styles of chili (and moles). I'm also a chili head, as in right now in my garden you'll find capsicum annum, c. chinense, and c. baccatum .

#9 kyredneck, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a lot of heresy in this thread. Tasty, delicious heresy.
    :Biggrin

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That in Kansas or Missouri?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mailmandan

mailmandan Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missouri.

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All geography-based joking aside, I like any good barbeque, no matter where it is from or whether it is beef, pork, or chicken (don't think I've eaten any other meat bbq-ed). My favorite barbeque is what I am eating at the moment, if it is good barbeque.
    A couple of months ago my wife saw on Facebook that Texas Monthly recognized a guy in the town where I work as one of the top barbeques in Texas. He sells his barbeque out of a food truck, and I had never even heard of him before!
    I enjoy the trying the tastes of various barbeque sauces, but I agree with GoodTidings. If you need sauce on it, the barbeque isn't quite up to snuff.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is like deciding on the worst lima bean....impossible.

I like Carolina sauce, and generally their pulled pork.

I like Texas brisket (except for one restaurant in Evans Georgia which is the best I have ever had...but may have been a fluke, I have not had the chance to go back).

I like the ribs at The Rendezvous in Memphis (but from what I understand they are not "Memphis style).

I like my own Brunswick Stew. Second to mine is southern Georgia's stew.

15. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with @rlvaughn, I enjoy all types of BBQ, and even enjoy the brisket the Texans bring to the table in their delusional belief that cow is BBQ.
    :p:Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What? My Grandmothers vinegar based sauce is very Canadian. She had her own recipe from the plains of Manitoba no less!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what's your favorite rub then? You at least need a rub, right? I've a rub I've used for years for 'savory' roasts and ribs that consists simply of 2 parts salt, 1 part each of granulated garlic and onion, and 1 part blk pepper. I suppose an addition of brown sugar would officially transform the rub into a bbq, maybe some dry mustard and cayenne too?

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never had it, had KY burgoo though.

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...we should put on an old time Baptist potluck... :)

I'll bring a savory pork roast, shuck beans, cornbread, and cole slaw.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? I could stand to hear a little more about that. :)