1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvary Chapels largest church, Harvest of Riverside, CA, joins the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 10, 2017.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greg Laurie's Harvest Church Joins SBC, Continues Ties With Calvary Chapel

I don't know if you realize it, but the SBC just grew by approxiamately 15,000 members overnght! From what I understand, the SBC gains one of Southern Californias mega congregations, and the founding pastor, Greg Laurie will gaiin assistance in putting on Crusades throughot the country and the world!

For years,, Laurie was compared to Billy Graham. Laurie was even very tight with the Graham ministry, teaching courses at the Cove Conference Center. Many thought Laurie was a natural to take over the Billy Graham Crusades, but, it seems, Laurie has decided to throw in with the SBC in a Christian like quid pro quo!

What, if any, are your thoughts and observations about this interesting development?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has become an official strategy, assimilating churches from other traditions, as the SBC is shrinking otherwise.

Immediate past president Ronnie Floyd described how the Convention is actively recruiting congregations of other church groups:

Baptist Press - Recruiting existing churches to cooperate with the Southern Baptist Convention is among the components of convention president Ronnie Floyd's strategy

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another megachurch from the charismatic nondenomination Calvary Chapel that's been signed up for dual affiliation with the SBC, Phoenix's 12,000 member Calvary Community Church:

bpnews.net/48939/phoenix-church-planters-turning-back-darkness#

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article:
    First, the church is seeking to baptize 200 people within three years of its launch.
    Well that's easily done. Find 200 unemployed people; pay them $20 each to be baptized and Bob's your uncle!
    It doesn't say anything about preaching the Gospel to anyone. :Rolleyes

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also added to the SBC rolls recently, the churches of James MacDonald of the Harvest Bible Fellowship nondenomination and of CJ Mahaney, Apostle of the charismatic group Sovereign Grace Ministries.

As with the Calvary Chapels, there is an anti-congregational polity in these new additions that conflicts with the BF&M.

6. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to bust your bubble brother Jerome, but calvary chapels are as tame as the Baptist, they may charisma, but that's about close as they get. We would visit Harrvest once in a while, and the wildest thing them folks do is raise their hands during praise and worship.

Over the last ten years, they experimented with talking in tongues, but itas at a members home and an associate pastor was always in attendance to make sure the Holy Ghost didn't get the small groups too wound up. They did thisto keep memmbers yearning for more, to stick with Calvary.

They don't do traditional music, but are into contemporary praise hymns and a smokin' hot praise band. But, again, that does not meet the definition of charismatic.

Of course, now that Chuck Smith is passed, like the charismatic Vineyards diid after their founder John Wimber, Calvary Chapels may merge with other churches, or become more daring and test the charismatic waters.

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a secular view. If they knew Greg Laurie, he is deeply committed to getting people saved and baptised in the cool waters at Balboa cove.

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm delighted to hear it. I know nothing of Mr Laurie, but I trust he is also deeply committed to preaching the Gospel (1 Corinthians 1:21).

I tend to smell a rat when churches appear to be more interested in baptizing people than in the Lord saving them. I'm happy to learn that my suspicions are unjustified.

• Like Like x 2
  9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is a Billy Graham type of preacher! The problem with his preaching salvation all the time is, that his members get saved, Baptized. And active in the fellowship. But eventually, some of these members want to grow a little more, and they do leave his church!

I understand that the last ten years, he has put a renewed emphasis on teaching the Word and applying to the lives of those listening, sitting under him, and he slowed the loss of members to a dribble!

Probably the only thing that people leave for know, is to have more an Holy Ghost, tongue talking experience! Like I said, they offer this after Glow thing, but it is nothing like a full out Assembly of God type of church!

You know, he has numerous books in print, You may look over his books and think about getting one to read so you know the man better!

Shalom!

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

RD - You are aware that Baptists are allowed at the most - to raise only one hand at a time -and no more than three members at any one time.......

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard that rule. In all my churches we definitely broke the rule, but no one arrested us.

14. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am interested in your opinions of Harvvest SOF.
    R

15. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.

If you're familiar with this church, do you know about their history? Have they just evolved into thinking of themselves as Baptist? Their doctrinal statement appears generally baptistic, to my notion. Their communion statement seems to be "open" -- which would run afoul of the restricted communion statement of the SBC's BF&M, except that probably half of the churches already in the Convention don't practice that.

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greg was one of Chuck Smith's students. Greg started the church out meeting in homes, parks. And before you knew it, he grew quickly!

17. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where does this put Saddleback in terms of megachurches?

Whatever happened to churches founded by the Lord Jesus Christ?

Will the Lord find The Faith when He returns? Time to repent and do the first works.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY if in the program. I think RD2 was dealing with something spontaneous....like daylight savings time....it just happens.

19. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you imagine that God does not ordain the Saddleback churches as well as the small country church? God directs both to fulfill the purpose he designed. This holds true for all things. Even the bizarre cults are established by God for purposes of separating the wheat from the chaff.

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think in heaven, Baptist will unwilling, maybe, raise both hands in praise.