Calvinism started with John Calvin True or false?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Mar 23, 2017.

1. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    False is the answer. But to many anti Calvinists and those ignorant of history the answer would be true. Reading this book on the history of alcohol in the church and it's as clear as day that Luther whom came before held to Calvins views.

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism actually would not be started by just Calvin, as he was founder of pretty much just Presbyterian branch of it!

3. ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FALSE, as John Calvin himself was NOT a Calvinist as defined by those after him, as he never taught or believed in Limited Atonement.

4. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True as Lutherans coined the phrase due to differences in doctrine involving Christ's presence in Communion. False if we use Calvinism to mean unconditional election as this was the view of most of the Reformers, and false if we mean the "5 points" or TULIP as both of these were developed after Calvin.

5. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please make up your mind. True or false.

6. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Insofar as it is Calvinism (articulation, emphases, ect.) and departed from Luther on Communion....true.

7. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clear policy that ALL threads with the topic (or even the word) "Calvinism" in them get moved to the forum of that name, rather than clutter up the regular theology discussions.

Thank you.

8. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is no novelty, then, that I am preaching; no new doctrine. I love to proclaim these strong old doctrines that are called by nickname Calvinism, but which are truly and verily the revealed truth of God as it is in Christ Jesus. By this truth I make my pilgrimage into the past, and as I go, I see father after father, confessor after confessor, martyr after martyr, standing up to shake hands with me . . . Taking these things to be the standard of my faith, I see the land of the ancients peopled with my brethren; I behold multitudes who confess the same as I do, and acknowledge that this is the religion of God's own church. (Spurgeon's Sovereign Grace Sermons, Still Waters Revival Books, p. 170).

9. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism did not spring from Calvin. We believe that it sprang from the great Founder of all truth. (Charles Spurgeon, Sermons, Vol. 7, p. 298).

10. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did it originate?

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainly from teachings of jesus and Paul!

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did believe in it though!

13. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the larger picture the question is pretty much insignificant. Calvinism most often is shorthand terminology for the doctrines of grace, or TULIP. If there had not been a Calvinism, there would not be a term Calvinism. But the significant question is whether the doctrines associated with the term Calvinism are biblical or not.

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And John calvin should be seen as really being the "Father" of the Presby branch of calvinism, not we who are in the Baptist one, as we agree with him on Sotierology and the scriptures, but disagree in many other areas!

15. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just answer the question.

16. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did.

17. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But wouldn't Knox hold that title?

18. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did. But I had a typo in it, so I am re-posting it correctly.

For the larger picture the question is pretty much insignificant. Calvinism most often is shorthand terminology for the doctrines of grace, or TULIP. If there had not been a John Calvin, there would not be a term Calvinism. But the significant question is whether the doctrines associated with the term Calvinism are biblical or not.

19. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Calvin was not a Presbyterian. He was more in line with the Dutch Reformed Church.

Calvin did protect those who fled the reign of Catholic Mary Tudor in England in Geneva starting in 1555. Under the city's protection, they were able to form their own reformed church under John Knox and William Whittingham and eventually carried Calvin's ideas on doctrine and polity back to England and Scotland.

But Calvin was not interested in the English or Scottish reformations. His interest was reforming France, his homeland.

20. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting to compare Calvin's Commentaries to his elaborate doctrinal schemes in The Institutes.
    His Commentaries, by their nature, are more constrained by Scripture. As one observer noted:

"In his expositions [Calvin] is not always what moderns would call Calvinistic" —Charles Spurgeon, Commenting and Commentaries