1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Christmas"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Harold Garvey, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, RRIIGGHHTTTT, HG! The KJV has 'Christmas' in it! It follows the verses that say the KJV is the ONLY 'official' English Bible version!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I still yet have seen "Christmas" as defined by even Noah Webster in the Bible. Christmas is not the birth of Christ. It is the rememberance/celebration of the birth of Christ. I do not see that anywhere in the Bible.

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I'll read the passage once and get all I need to get me through the day.

Nice judgement call, but from you what should I expect, less?

Christmas is defined by the birth of Christ born in a manger where there was no room for him in the inn. [snipped]

#63 Harold Garvey, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Well, let's be honest, Tom, did you celebrate the birth of Christ this year, or did you just buy and receive presents and stuff your gut?

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Let's see? Christmas is the season we recognize what we see in Luke 2 as The Christmas Story. The world has taken Christmas and changed it into something totally secular.

I'll stick with the Bible [snipped]

#65 Harold Garvey, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Luke2:25And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

26And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

27And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,

28Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,

29Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:

30For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,

31Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;

32A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

Seems Simeon would disagree with your idea no one was celebrating the Birth of our Saviour:smilewinkgrin:

7. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I have to ask this: are the Beatitudes in the Bible? What about the Prodigal Son? The Ten Commandments?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Chapter and verse please.
    While your at it, can you please give me the underlying Greek word.
    I want to look it up in my Greek New Testament.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Harold, I'm still waiting for you to respond to post #53. I find it incomprehensible that you're advocating adding a word to the KJV. Don't you believe that the KJV is the perfect Word of God? If so, why are you advocating adding a word to it? If it were already perfect, why is there a need to add a word?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The angels, shepherds, wise men and I'm sure many others also celebrated the birth of Christ. But that was the birth of Christ. Not a remembrance of it on a particular day that is marked on a calendar.

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

So crucify all of us for not being able to be there and desiring to worship Christ as they did.:sleeping_2:

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I have to ask this: are the Beatitudes in the Bible? What about the Prodigal Son? The Ten Commandments?

"Christmas" describes how Christians should be celebrating as they did in Luke 2, not celebrating anyway they want and call it Christmas. Neither should Christmas be defined as something inherently pagan because not everyone celebrates Christmas the way the pagans do.

Show me where "The Beatitudes" appears in Scripture then tell me none of them belong there.

Chapter and verse please

While your at it, can you please give me the underlying Greek word.
    I want to look it up in my Greek New Testament

13. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I answered that way before post 53. I asked if it should be in the Bible as part of the Scripture, then I stated it should at least be in the footnotes.:type:

Wake up!:wavey:

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

There aren't graemlins that shake their heads and go "duh."

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I did it all. I celebrated the birth of the Lord Jesus, bought gifts, received gifts and stuffed my gut with a wonderful meal of shrimp marinaded in garlic and olive oil. mmmmmm

Thanks for asking!

So why are you always so angry? You talk about the birth of Christ with an anger in your words that is really strange.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone has problems with Harold's vile words, let me know. He is on my "ignore" list because I have not seen one positive or spiritual post by him and I don't need that negativity.

I will try to snip any attacks, questioning salvation, etc. I will do my best to stop him from spreading his pernicious ways.

17. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Why are you so rash in judgement? God would rather have mercy, so would I. Am I to conclude that I should begin and end every post apologetic as to not become so rashly judged? We had all the above with some testimony time and PRAYER! I SEE you left prayer out, is this becoming a habit?

18. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Alot of conjecture, my friend, and sakes alive! I am flabbergasted that some one so gentile and filled with such glorious wisdom AND AFFECTION would incite a riot against their brethren. MERRY CHRISTMAS BOB! HAPPY RECOGNITION OF THE NEXT NUMERICAL ADVANCE IN YEARS ACCORDING TO THE GREGORIAN CALENDER! I DOUBLE CLICKED THE CAPS BUTTON AGAIN SO PLEASE BE THE CHRISTIAN YOU WANT ME TO BE AND FORGIVE ME?

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did I ever say that? Nope. I celebrate Christmas every December 25th and then some! I love the holiday and I am taken completely at awe each year and wonder just how God can do what He did. But that still doesn't negate the fact that Christmas is not ever represented in the Bible.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I honestly do not understand this thread. :confused:

Maybe it's just me. I'm still tired from Christmas. :tongue3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.