1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Death penalty debate fueled by 'bad Ohio execution' and firing squad legislation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 20, 2014.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have answered that question before for you. Zero is acceptable. Those who deliberately execute people falsely are guilty of murder. Those who accidently execute innocent people are guilty of manslaughter.

I think that in open and shut cases the death penalty should be applied within a couple of years.

In Indiana, you yourself could be executed if you murdered a law enforcement officer or a registered Democrat. Otherwise, you should be sent to Indiana University Law School to finish your legal studies. Since California admitted an illegal alien to the bar, it is assumed that all convicted felons can now be admitted to the bar in the USA. American lawyers are breathing a sigh of relief as you read this.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Nope, not ignoring it. Not buying it.
    OK, let's look at your "proof."

Cameron Todd Willingham:
    Her emotionalism originally caused her to defend him, even after divorcing him, but she sat down, rationally examined the evidence, and determined that the jury, the police and the prosecutors were right. Result: Not proof.

Ruben Cantu:
    Again, no proof here.

Larry Griffin:
    Once again, no proof of an innocent executed.

David Wayne Spence: The studies of this case are long and convoluted, but boil down to this: Muneer Deeb was convicted of conspiracy to kill an employee, and hired Spence to do it. Apparently Spence found three teenaged girls with the employee, and killed them all. While Deeb managed to get his conviction overturned on a technicality and was found not guilty by a jury in a second trial, it wasn't because the jury thought he wasn't guilty, just that they couldn't say with absolute certainty he was guilty. This carried over into Spence's case, leading people like you to claim Spence was innocent. There is far too much evidence to the contrary, including DNA evidence on the ties around the victims' wrists. That DNA could not be found in later tests, but that proves nothing. Those latter tests were done years later, plenty of time for DNA to have degenerated to unrecognizability. This doesn't prove your point either.

Thomas and Meeks Griffin: This is the one I figured you'd find. Yeah, South Carolina pardoned them -- 94 years later. So what? It did no harm to South Carolina to do so, and creates good will with their distant descendant who talks to eight million people every day. The facts of the case never entered into the pardon. It was based solely on statements by another conspirator that he fingered the brothers and two others to save himself. It doesn't take into account that black men convicted of murder in the South in the early part of the century often met the same fate as child molesters do today. That he got four other black men convicted mollified the white inmates -- prison were the only places in the country back then not segregated. So, again -- not proof.

Like I said. You wouldn't find any.

#64 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Against capital punishment for a number of reasons, some theological, some practical, some financial, some philosophical. This conversation has touched on many, but not in any specific order - so while away, it makes it hard to catch up on the comments of others. So I'll just jump in again

If convicted of murder, life without parole.

Perhaps you missed this part of the New Testament "You have heard it said....BUT I say...."

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Capital punishment should be abolished as long as there is any chance of an innocent person being executed.

You cannot be pro-life and disagree!

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's some indictment from the guy who isn't pro-life!!

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth about the long execution of Mr. McGuire

The world’s anti-death penalty activists really outdid themselves last week. And shameless as they are, they show no signs of abating. And their star is Dennis McGuire, deceased.

Here’s the popular account of the execution of Mr. McGuire: The experimental drug cocktail administered him by the state of Ohio didn’t work as quickly or painlessly as planned, and it took the condemned 26 unhappy minutes to meet his maker — or about 11 minutes longer than the average Ohio execution takes.

Now, all of this is fact, but as with most matters of life and death — especially those matters where the left has skin in the game, so to say — the truth is something more, and the popular narrative quickly presents two important questions: Who was Mr. McGuire, and why was the prison experimenting with a new execution cocktail?

In January 2014, Mr. McGuire was a 53-year old man on death row. But in February 1989, he was a young man who murdered Joy Stewart. And who is Mrs. Stewart? She was a 22-year old newlywed pregnant woman who would have given birth to a child in just two months if Mr. McGuire hadn’t raped her in a particularly horrific way, stabbed her, slit her throat and left her to rot in the woods.

Yes, the same Mr. McGuire whose 26 minutes of pain are cause for Ohio to re-evaluate its values, we’re told.

And speaking of 26 minutes, why did it take so long? Why was the traditional three-drug painkiller and sedative cocktail unavailable to the people of Ohio? Because one American company stopped manufacturing its drug three years ago for fear of liability in lawsuits over executions. And because later that year, the European Union banned European manufacturers from exporting drugs to the United States that are to be used to execute men like Mr. McGuire. With their stockpiles aging and a number of major sources now closed to them, authorities have been forced to use two-drug cocktails for executions.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/20/b...e-long-execution-of-mr-mcguire/#ixzz2r4jIojFa

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

You don't want to go there. Let's look at the whole passage, shall we?

Matthew 5, (NASB)
    21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
    22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell." ​
    Jesus didn't negate anything here, especially not the death penalty. In fact, He equated anger, insult and slander with the crime of murder. His point is, those sins result in the spiritual death penalty. He doesn't withdraw it, He reinforces it, even expands it for the understanding of those who have none.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Following your logic, you would never leave your house, because there IS a chance that you will be hit by a car!

'Course you would never get out of bed either, cause there IS a chance that you will stumble and break your neck!

Come to think of it, the best thing you could do is shoot yourself, cause there IS a chance of something very drastic happening to you.

This reasoning rings very much of that of the liberal mantras:
    "It's for the children", or
    "If it saves one life it's worth it" !!!

Common sense is totally lacking!!!!:BangHead::BangHead:

As for your last statement, well I refer you to the sentence immediately before this one.:rolleyes:

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your reply is the most off-topic, convoluted, illogical reply I have seen in a long time. It did give me a good laugh ... which I appreciate. Laughter is very healthy for us.

How many executions of innocent people are acceptable to you?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why just capital punishment? Why is it more humane to keep someone in a cage for life if there is a chance they are innocent?

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Actually, following the logic you've used on this thread, it is the natural progression of things. Get a clue.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Why? There are plenty of times when there is a question of innocence, but also plenty of times when there really is no doubt.
    The justice system is messed up and corrupted by ridiculous laws and corrupt people.
    Fix that and you fix the problem.
    Perhaps the death penalty should be suspended while that happens, but it isn't logical to say that because some people are innocent, it should be taken away. Fix the problem that causes innocent people to be found guilty. There's no reason for that apart from ridiculous laws and corruption.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only was it illogical, it was totally off topic.
    I was saying we should be sure no innocent life is taken.
    You talk about hiding in your house.

I ask you again, how many executions of innocents is acceptable in your belief system?

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina, how many executions of innocent people are acceptable to you?

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Because as long as they are alive there is a chance that new evidence will be found and they will be set free. Execute them and there is no chance of their being free.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but I am pro life and have said so often. Quite dishonest of you to say that I am something that I am not.

I am against abortion and against capital punishment ... that is pro-life.

You, however, are selective. Against abortion, but for killing them later. That is hypocritical ... especially as you would be approving the execution of some that would be proven innocent later.

19. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

As long as they're alive in prison, there is a chance that they will rape and kill again, a guard or fellow inmate.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because for crabby it is just an excuse. He would want to end the death penalty even if there were no problems at all ever.