1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Death penalty debate fueled by 'bad Ohio execution' and firing squad legislation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 20, 2014.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never been able to figure how it couldn't have a deterrent effect on kids witnessing a public execution with the understanding, 'if you do what they did the same will happen to you'. I'm NOT convinced that it didn't/wouldn't serve as a very effective deterrent.

Even public 'caning of the buttocks' as they practice in Indonesia has to have an effect. It has to.

Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecc 8:11

#21 kyredneck, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many investigations have been conducted to see if a person already executed was actually innocent?

There have been cases where people were executed and later another person has come forward admitting they committed the crime. So the innocent were killed in those cases.

I will check into this. I am not sure you are correct on this one. If one, only one is found, will you change you mind?

Of course DNA proves some are quilty and that some are innocent. That is a given. From the experience the last number of years it is obvious that there are innocent folk on death row ... as well as guilty. Some of innocent will never be proven innocent as evidence will not be given or found. Others who are guilty will be proven guilty from future DNA tests.

But as long as it is possible that there are innocent people on death row, then capital punishment should not be allowed.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3 For rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. And wouldest thou have no fear of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise from the same:
    4 for he is a minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is a minister of God, an avenger for wrath to him that doeth evil. Ro 13

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the man who did not shed blood, but was found guilty of shedding blood?

If he is executed is the executioner guilty of shedding blood? Should the executioner be punished for shedding the blood of an innocent person?

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The state would be guilty of manslaughter under those circumstances, wouldn't they? The jury and the judge would be the ones. The Supreme Court Justices who signed the order that women could murder their babies without due process in each case are guilty of murder.

If you think that you can come to Indiana and murder a bunch of people and then spend the rest of your life in some cozy cell in Michigan City, Indiana, and work on your law degree from Indiana University you are probably right but even Democrat Evan Bayh did execute a few people so you are playing Vegas style odds if you think that you can get away with murder in Indiana.

The question that applies to you is do you think that you should be allowed to evade the death penalty for murder?

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about those innocent 'thousands extra' whose blood is shed when the death sentence is NOT imposed?

God and the Death Penalty
    by Pastor Bob Enyart

"Jeffrey Dahlmer raped, killed and ate parts of at least thirteen men. As punishment, the government was planning to feed, clothe, educate, medicate, entertain, and legally represent him for the rest of his life. Families of his victims would pay taxes, in part, to keep Dahlmer comfortable, warm in winter and cool in summer. That type of punishment should scare the dickens out of other mass murderers. Interrupting the governments plans for Dahlmer however, an inmate beat the cannibal to death in prison.

Some oppose the death penalty on practical grounds, arguing that it is not a deterrent. However, the U.S. Supreme Court had reinstituted the death penalty in July of 1976 after having struck down all state death penalty statutes almost exactly four years earlier. During those four years without the death penalty there were about 12,000 more murders as compared to the four years prior to 1972, an increase of 19 percent, and more than 10,000 additional families who had raised a child who then became a murderer.

In countries like Saudi Arabia, which enforce a swift and certain death penalty, violent crime is rare. Singapore and Los Angeles have equivalent populations, yet in one year Singapore had 58 murders (most followed by swift execution) while Los Angeles had 1,063. Criminal sub-cultures like the Mafia show that the death penalty is a powerful deterrent even among career criminals, since few will ever double-cross their superiors, fearing the repercussions.

Others oppose the death penalty on moral grounds. The "morality" arguments of atheists are not persuasive because if there is no God, then there is no absolute morality, only arbitrary and subjective opinion. The anti-death-penalty morality arguments of some Christians, on the other hand, are persuasive to many. They base their arguments on statements made by Jesus Christ and therefore many listen attentively.

These "moral" opponents of the death penalty often intimidate good people into shying away from execution. Many Christians claim society should forgive criminals and instruct them to "go and sin no more." Ideas have consequences and the popularity of this idea parallels a huge sustained crime epidemic.

There is a right way to deter criminals and to end the crime epidemic. That deterrence, however, does not lie in telling Dahlmer to "go and eat no more.".."

#27 kyredneck, Jan 21, 2014
  8. thisnumbersdisconnected

You're claiming there have been innocent men/women executed, yet you don't even know how many studies have been done? That calls into question your veracity in this discussion.
    Evidence, please. Post links. I just did a Google search. Nothing.
    You should have done that before you posted.
    No, I won't change my mind, because I know which one you will find. The information in the more prominent postings has been deliberately skewed by anti-death penalty advocates. You have to dig to find the truth, which you won't like.
    As long as it is possible people can die from cancer, they shouldn't eat, drink, smoke or breathe. Think that will happen? And its far more likely that will happen than that an innocent man will be found on death row.

#28 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 21, 2014
  9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think Crab-Mao_boy's arguments are real, think again. If I were to design a strategy to bring down a strong nation, a big part of that would be to undermine justice and morality. That is the left's goal in their opposition to capital punishment and their promotion of Sodom.

Once the tables turn, you watch how these same leftists will call for the executions of the enemies of the state.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it true that a little over a million deaths of innocents a year is acceptable to you?

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...ooouuuu, CTB is pro-abortion and harping about collateral damage with captital punishment? That's about as wrong as it gets.

#31 kyredneck, Jan 21, 2014
  12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm not debating that. The wrong person is convicted -- rarely, but it happens -- at all levels of the justice system. Justice being blind, the wronged are often freed. As your links don't prove any of them were executed, but instead were exonerated, they support my viewpoint, not yours. You nor CTB nor anyone else can find a valid case in which the wrong person has been executed.

Consider this: Your second link shows 143 exonerations of wrongfully convicted men who were on death row, but walked free. How many wrongfully executed men does it list?

NONE!!

Think there might be a reason for that? Hint: There haven't been any!!

#33 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 21, 2014
  14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks go2church.

Another where it is show that 8 were executed and later were found to be innocent:

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was briefly mentioned how some are pro-choice and anti-death penalty. I do think this an inconsistent stand on the issues. As inconsistent as being pro-life and pro-death penalty.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see how being pro capital punishment and pro life (keeping unborn babies from being murdered) are inconsistent.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    16 There are six things which Jehovah hateth; Yea, seven which are an abomination unto him:
    17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood;
    18 A heart that deviseth wicked purposes, Feet that are swift in running to mischief,
    19 A false witness that uttereth lies, And he that soweth discord among brethren. Pro 6

So who is it that's intentionally shedding the innocent blood?

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stunning to think that in your mind multiple wrongful convictions all throughout the justice system somehow stop and have never happened in death penalty cases. You really think no one has ever been convicted and put to death wrongly?

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both are taking lives and has been shown there are those who have been found innocent after spending years on death row. And, as it has been shown, there are those who have been executed who were later found innocent.

So, how can you support the taking of innocent lives through capital punishment?

If you can, how many innocents killed through capital punishment are too many?

I have said numerous times that I am anti-abortion and anti-capital punishment. I am pro-life. Come join me and not be hypocritical about life.

20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone has been put to death because they were wrongly convicted, is not that innocent blood?

You're willing to bet that flawed human beings who make up our justice system never get it wrong, never kill someone that doesn't deserve to be killed?

I'm not making that bet.