1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Death penalty debate fueled by 'bad Ohio execution' and firing squad legislation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

How is it hypocritical? The death penalty is a life for a life. They have taken a life, and that is a punishment. A baby has not taken a life.

I agree about innocent people. If there is doubt, or the system that said they are guilty is corrupt, the death penalty should not be used.

However, as noted before, there are plenty of times when there is not doubt. Just excuses. (I was made to eat my vegetables when I was 4 and now I have anger issues and get stabby)

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not suggested that those who are guilty be set free. I am saying that we now know from DNA testing and the number of people set free as they were found innocent shows there are people on death row who are innocent. Thus, there should be no capital punishment. Life in prison with no chance of parole is sufficient.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure that is true Rev. However, we both know there will never be a time when there is absolutely no doubt.

How many innocents are you willing to sacrifice?

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sorry, but I don't see it that way. Take a case where a life-style criminals is running from officers, turns around, shoots and kills an officer. Cut and dried, he did it, dash cam shows it, witnesses saw it.

Why do we keep him/her alive in a cage? It seems the only hope someone given a life sentence vs a death sentence has is that they'll escape or get it overturned or somehow get out early. Look at the suicide rates of death row inmates.

It just doesn't seem the nice thing to do, at least not when there's doubt.

Swift carrying out when no doubt...and no sitting there letting appeals drag on for 10, 20, 30 years when there is doubt. Have you followed Ryan Ferguson's story? That was wild. Talk about corruption...which is why I won't shut up about corruption in the system. Those kinds of stories.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

You're addressing the wrong person. just-want-peace posted the original to which you replied. I didn't say anything about my house.

You want to debate things and you can't even keep straight in your head who you're supposed to be talking to? Time for find something else to do, CTB, this is over your head.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sometimes you talk to people who aren't even there on the thread, so what are you getting onto him about? :smilewinkgrin:

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to my question. How many innocent people are you willing to sacrifice to be sure you get a guilty person?

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

None. I'm just saying that there are clear cut cases where the person is guilty.

There have been cases where a person calls the crime in themselves and they're still sitting there holding the gun. "I just shot my wife..."

It happens.

9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

8 innocents (maybe) in how many years compared to 12,000 in 4 years. Yeah, I'm OK with that.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for an honest reply Woody. Many have ignored the question or danced around it.

I disagree with you, but I do appreciate you answering.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never disagreed with what you said about those guilty. However, life in prison without chance of parole is still a death sentence ... and within our justice system cheaper in the long run than capital punishment.

12. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you are saying is not only against Scripture but also against common knowledge.

1. Life in prison is not a death sentence. You can get yor 3 hots and a cot and take your law degree from Indiana University and bother the court system the rest of your life about the injustice done you.

2. The death penalty would be much cheaper if laws were amended to prevent endless appeals.

3. By ignoring Scripture, you are saying that you think that you know better and you do not care to defend the image of God. In your case, people are saying that you also approve of abortion.

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How man executions of innocent people are acceptable to you?

Can you show me scripture saying it is all right to execute innocent people?

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep repeating yourself with the red herring about innocent people. Yesterday a man walked into a classroom in Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, and murdered the teaching assistant. There were plenty of witnesses and, assuming the man is sane, you want him to get away with murder!

What makes you think that you are better than Scripture?

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wasting your breath. Crabby would be against the death penalty even if no innocent people were effected.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me scripture that says it is all right to execute innocent people.

With your argument you cannot be against abortion.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

How in your mind does this command to execute murderers translate into murdering babies?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I recall God commanding the killing of entire nations including 'innocent' women and children after the exodus.

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see that as proof that it is Christ-like to kill innocent prisoners. Do you.

Killing entire nations surely included killing the unborn. So you cannot be pro-life if you hold to what you indicate.

Show me any verse where Jesus says it is all right to kill innocent prisoners.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That person is not innocent.

If you defend capital punishment, including possible innocent people, you cannot be against abortion.

I am against both.