1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Death penalty debate fueled by 'bad Ohio execution' and firing squad legislation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have missed my earlier post, so I will post it again sor your information. 8 who were executed and later were found to be innocent:

We will never know how many others as investigations are very rarely done concerning people who were executed.

The youngest person in the US to be executed was 14. His case is under serious review as new evidence may show him innocent. This is not a DNA case. It happened in the '40's.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In an imperfect world there will be wrongful convictions. This is not enough to ignore the vast majority that are rightfully convicted. Using your logic we should release everyone from prison as there are some behind bars that have been wrongfully convicted. God is against murder and requires a life for a life. Come join me in supporting Scripture.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was anyone ever wrongfully convicted in the OT? Did Gods law become obsolete due to human error?

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never advocated releasing everyone. I do advocate doing away with capital punishment as we know people who were innocent have been killed. We also know that 100+ have been released when proven innocent.

How many innocent deaths are ok with you?

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

It isn't opinion or guesswork, it's knowledge. You're arguing so many logical fallacies, I can't keep track of them all. You assume something to be true because you believe it could happen. The sun could explode, too. You want us to drop everything and start researching alternative life sources for Earth?
    I know it has never happened. You could prove me wrong, if there were any evidence, but I note that so far neither you nor CTB have done anything except argue from speculation and emotion.
    It would be, if anyone had been. But while you and CTB keep raising this specter, you've offered no proof -- nor can you find any -- that would show it has happened.
    I'm not betting anything. If you want to stop meting out punishment because of something that might happen, get ready for anarchy. It's insane thinking.

#45 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The authoritarian governments of the twentieth century murdered tens of millions of their own citizens in the name of progress.

The left would not execute the Stalins and Mussolinis of the world.

The question is why bother to arrest murderers since it is expensive to house them and let them work on their Indiana University law degrees while on death row. Why not just send murderers to Bloomington, Indiana, to attend Indiana Law School. It is a liberal university and it would be a lot cheaper than a cell in Michigan City, Indiana, although I think that we now have a modern facility somewhere else.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That didn't take long - oh, you're against the death penalty so you must want everyone to be set free. What complete and total nonsense, that by the way does not follow "logically" as you claim. Being opposed to the death penalty doesn't mean being against lawful imprisonment of wrongdoers.

So Old Testament over Jesus, when it means we get to kill someone? Is that the hermeneutic we're going with now?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are being inconsistent.

Law: death penalty for murder. Prison time for rape.

You: release everyone from death row due to human error. Do not release everyone convicted of rape due to human error.

If someone should be released from death row due to human error, why do you maintain they should live in prison for life still? If there are innocent people in prison (and there are), to be consistent with your position everyone should be released at the expense of the innocents.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

From conviction to hanging, a murderer in the Old West could expect about three days to pass.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, why don't you say what you think would be the proper punishment for you yourself for murder? Surely, leftists should not be subject to the same law as the rest of us.... Do you think that Mussolini should have been executed?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Usually when inconsistencies are exposed anger follows. Thank you for cementing that fact.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not INTENTIONALLY shedding innocent blood. Abortion on the other hand is just that.

You're willing to accept the alternative, the far much greater increase in murders, when it's not imposed?

Fortunately you're not calling the shots.

#52 kyredneck, Jan 21, 2014
  13. thisnumbersdisconnected

What makes you think the New Testament teaches anything different than the Old Testament?

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you would like to revise this statement?

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Why in the world would I want to do that? You haven't posted anything remotely proving your point.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol! So what exactly is the side you're debating for? You seem to be arguing out of both sides of your mouth! Are you for or against?

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears you are ignoring my two posts showing 8 innocent people who were executed.

Is that number of innocents executed acceptable to you? It isn't to me!

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems you are ignoring my post that during the four years the feds banned capital punishment there were 12,000 more murders as compared to the four years prior, an increase of 19 percent.

Is that number of innocents murdered acceptable to you?

But then again if you're pro-abortion this is a totally moot point anyway, sheesh.

#58 kyredneck, Jan 21, 2014
  19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have proven yourself very good at asking questions, but you are ignoring questions from several people directly to you.

Let me try again to get an answer from you. Suppose that you arrive in Indiana and go on a murder spree. Supposing that we are able to convict you here. What punishment should we give you, knowing that you are who you are?

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever the law in Indiana says.

Now, what about the 8 innocent people who were executed. Is that ok with you? How many is too many?