1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do we have free will to choose to believe and follow God?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 3rdAngel, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Indeed, it comes by believing and following God's Word *ROMANS 10:17. The Word comes first and we choose to believe it or not believe it. When we choose to believe God's Spirit does the rest.

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't believe if you must choose to believe.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  3. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    God's Word teaches that salvation is through God alone and as the scriptures in the OP show he never forces us to believe and follow His Word *JOHN 3:15-21.

4. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    That is not true Dave. God's Word says that we choose to believe or not believe *JOHN 3:15-21; PHILEMON 1:14; 1 CORINTHIANS 7:37; DEUTERONOMY 30:19; JOSHUA 24:14-15

ALL the above scripture tranlsations translate free will in the following context...

Free will is without necessity
    Free will is without compulsion
    Free will is without force
    Free will is a will not pressured
    Free will is from one own heart
    Free will is a voluntary
    Free will is of your own accord
    Free will is without constraint

Not looking so good for those who believe in robots.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are turning the gospel of grace into Law. If God saves a person, they experience Christ in their heart and cannot help but believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't force Lazarus to leave the tomb either. If he saves you you believe because you cannot doubt. It's a real experience that makes believers out of us.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you suggesting that God re-created man and his attribute during the fall to not have free will? Didn't get it right the first time, and had a do-over?
    [​IMG]

8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4) God influences, we respond. = God gets all the glory.

False dilemma fallacy.

9. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Rubbish! Your just repeating yourself without addressing the scriptures shared with you. We are saved from sin as we believe God's Word. This is God's Work in us as we believe His Word *JOHN 3:15-21. We are saved from sin not to continue to sin. If you are still in your sins you will die *ROMANS 8:13 because the wages of sin is death in all those who reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

We are only saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD by faith that works by LOVE. This is God's work in us and a part of the NEW COVENANT promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12; PHILIPPIANS 2:13. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.

The fire is the place for all those who do not believe and follow God's Word.

God's Sheep hear His Voice (the Word). Those who do not are not God's Sheep.

#69 3rdAngel, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  10. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Lazarus was dead but he already believed in JESUS before he died. Those who believe and follow God's Word will never die and JESUS will raise him up at the last day *JOHN 6:40. Best to choose to believe and follow GOd's Word and not to believe in robots.

11. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Water is free to flow uphill.

Lost man has no concept or capacity other than to 'not Come to Me', Jesus Said.

"ye will not come to me, that ye might have life." John 5:40.

12. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    We come to JESUS by believing His Word. JESUS is the Word of God *JOHN 1:1-4; 14. We are free to believe or not believe Gods' Word *JOHN 3:15-21.

13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came to the Lord in search of guidance for my life and love for His truths rather than fear. It was after that experience when my relationship began with Him, just as He promised in His Word that it would, (Matthew 7:7-8) that I felt unworthy to be child of God, guilt for my imperfections, sorrow and fear began to set in. Now that I knew Him there was no turning back, no denying all my short comings and no way that I would ever be able to hold up my shameful head up in His presence. I felt like I had become enslaved to my every thought which was unworthy of His love and now that I knew Him there was absolutely no going back. My fear began to grow to the point of being unbearable and I prayed in anguish about my unworthiness. It was then that God once again demonstrated that He heard my cries and answered in His great love to give me peace. He wrote these Words upon my heart:

(Rom 8:15) For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

It was then that I realized my enslavement was to my loving Father and that I would always be His son and even though my conscience would tear me up inside at times that I would love Him for His guidance in my life and He would always love me. My fear was that of a son toward his loving Father, a Father who would never forsake His child. His Words of warning about one losing his faith strengthen me because my fear of ever denying Him would be a most sorrowful lie to which I know I would have to answer to Him and that my friend is why I know I will always be saved! Though I believe the possibility of falling away exists and is true, those very Words keep me from ever doing so.

Kind of like if my earthly father told me not to stick my hand in the fire because I will get burnt, I know it is true and he told me this because he loves me. Therefore, those words were meant to keep it from happening.

Therefore, not you or any man (teacher) will ever convince me that I can lose my salvation. My faith in my Father will never be shaken by ANY man!

(Joh 10:28) And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    (Joh 10:29) My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

14. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

'whosoever believes"

Who is that?

Anybody?

It Says, "whosoever believeth".

15. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Whoever believe is just that. Anybody can believe. Many called but few are chosen because men loved darkness rather then light because their deeds were evil.

16. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    God never leaves us or forsakes us *HEBREWS 13:5 and is not willing that any should perish *2 PETER 3:9. We however are free to believe or not to believe and follow His Word *JOHN 3:15-21. God never forces us to believe and follow His Word and it is us that leaves and forsakes God by not believing and following God's Word *HEBREWS 6:4-8; HEBREWS 10:26-38; 2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-12. God's Sheep (believers) hear His Voice (the Word) and follow him and it is to those who believe His Word that no one plucks out of His hand and to those who believe and follow His Word that he gives everlasting life *JOHN 10:26-28.

God bless

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, God grants us saving faith before we hear the Gospel!

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, rather that God created Adam with free will and gave him the choice to obey God or not, and since the Fall, none save Jesus have had it!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would somewhat agree with that, except, for a major issue you seem to overlook, which is that once one dies to himself and is born again and becomes a child of God their All Powerful, Wise and Loving Father is NOT going to allow His child to become lost. This does not deny their free will to fall away but rather sets the condition that as an adopted child of God His providential control in your life is more than enough to keep His child’s faith within the free choices that they have.

(Joh 8:36) If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

I’m not sure what your draw is in attempting to teach believers that they can lose their salvation but in doing so, as I have told you, you have missed a very important part of the Gospel of God’s grace being free with your backtracking measuring stick interpretations and must overlook the meaning of being a child within the Loving Power of God to keep those born again to Him.

He doesn’t force His children because He doesn’t have to, regardless of their human volitional abilities, once they become a child of God the influence of their father’s loving grace is sufficient for that child’s continued free response of faith.

But, I’ll be waiting for you to show me how those saints I listed for you, who were not “following” God’s commandments not to sin, those children who were exposed as continuing in sin, …like you [​IMG], ...were not saved. I won’t hold my breath for you to do so.

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid you'll you have to show me where in the Bible God re-designed His creature's attributes after Adam so that they no longer had human volition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.