Does God love everyone?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by annsni, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Grandstanding again.

"Entertain?" You must have meant misrepresent, misquote and misunderstand:
    He never said nor did he suggest anything of the sort.

2. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pro 29:22 An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
    1Ch_28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

2Co_8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
    Yes
    I believe in the Bible and not what you try to make it say with your false interpretations. You tend to take one verse and retranslate into to something else. Just like the J.W.'S
    LOL You are really funny Rippon. God is almighty yet that does not mean that He is how you describe. Your definition of "sovereign" is your own. You accuse me of being a universalist and you your self follow the father of it "Augustine". That's a contradiction of your self. By the way the word Sovereign isn't found in scripture. And the way you define it clearly shows you intend to make it say what it clearly doesn't.
    . Only those from the tribe of Juda are elect and not all of them will be saved because they rejected the Lord Jesus Christ. Something scripture clearly states and you deny it claiming all those who are elect will be saved.

You claim I haven't learned anything from you but your wrong. I've learned that I do not want to be anything like you at all. You are a very angry person who lashes out at people who disagree with you. You have no love for anyone who would disagree with you. Just like the Pharisee's your so busy accusing others you don't have time to do anything else.

God's word is much more than "stuff" as you call it. Your ridicule of what I believe will only bring me reward.
    I believe in scripture and not what you say about it..
    MB

3. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he said it in the assumption that God does not chastise those he does not love. I corrected the assumption, because I consider the assumption is attempting to support what is not supportable.

By stating that God does chastises, it follows that the chastisement is an extension of His love. Therefore, the assumption that "Does God love those He does not chastise" is not a statement of credibility.

Perhaps you can give an answer to the question that I asked of Rippon?
    Does God require from the believer what He does not of Himself?
    "love your enemies."

Surely, there are those of note who would (as shown by a quote by Jay Adams) make the claim that God does not love all humankind. I disagree.

If one agrees, then God is certainly requiring of the believer what He does not require or demonstrate as characteristic of Himself.

4. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong MB.
    In the NLT the word "sovereign" occurs 291 times.
    In the NIV ________________________ 297 times
    In the NET ________________________368 times

5. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's typical MB stuff.

I had quoted Romans 9:18 :Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

I had asked if you believed it because from your posts you seemed to oppose the doctrine. I believe what the Word of God says. God does not show mercy to every single person. He mercies those whom He wants and hardens those He so desires. If you differ then you are in opposition to Holy Writ.
    It's hard to get around your statements favoring that position.
    You make the claim that I follow Augustine. I have not said it. I do think many of his works are quite valuable. And I think a number are in error.

Please support your charge that Augustine was the "father of universalism." He believed in particular redemption and biblical election. Therefore, he certainly was opposed to universalism.
    You are in La La land.
    I do believe that all the elect will be saved. If you are a believer you are elect. What's your problem with that?

You had said;"after all, if you have been foreknown of God then you must be a Jew."

I then asked in response :"How long you have believed this stuff?" I had asked the question because your words have no foundation in the Word of God.

6. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see well in that case throw them away because they aren't scripture but paraphrase's

7. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see, but you don't see. That reminds me of some other verses.

8. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe all scripture but as a whole not like a one verse Charlie who get's his whole doctrine from a few passages instead of the whole.
    I'm not getting around my position. I quoted scripture Here it is again.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    Then you falsely accuse me of being what you clearly are. A universalist Don't you believe what is said in !st Tim 2:4. Of course you don't because you don't believe all of the Bible do you?
    He is still a universalist and so are you because you just admitted it. The same is true of Calvin. He loved Augustine. So do you I've read your post as well.

Yet he authored the Catholic Faith. Catholic means universal
    I'm chosen for Salvation that does not mean I;m a member of the elect Jews or even that I have replaced them as you obviously do..There has never been a Gentile called elect.
    Yet another reason I do not want to be like you.
    I don't remember saying the first line of this quote.
    I know what you mean example !st Tim 2:4. My God given foundation disproving your garb about God not loving all men. and not wanting all men to be saved.
    None of your particular brand of Calvinism has any foundation in the word of God
    There is no comparison in what I believe and what you believe. I've tried to explain it to you but you reject it. You hate me for telling you about it you're afraid I'm right..

You know I believe there are Calvinist who are saved. I've met quite a few. All we have to do is believe. Salvation that is true Salvation changes a man and makes him more like Christ. You on the other hand do not display any Christian attitude at all. You may think you act like a Christian but believe me you don't. I do not see any Christ Likeness in you. Just hatred and vengeance and a sad attempt at domination.
    MB

9. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those three are translations of the orginal languages of Scripture. For you to deny that is not only completely wacky, but in violation of the rules of the BB.

10. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know the above is entirely false. Take a look at the many passages I have brought up in this thread alone. But by pretending that I deal with just a handful of verses is so juvenile. You very well know how dishonest you are.
    Since I believe that Christ died only for His elect, how could I possibly be a Universalist?
    In context, yes. I will explain that inmy next post.
    Back to your old antics.

Tell me, do you believe that God hates some people?
    If you don't, then you are in opposition to God's Word.

Do you believe that we should tell everyone we come into contact with evangelistically that Christ died for that person and that God loves them?
    If you agree, then you are in opposition to God's Word.
    What post are you responding to --certainly not my post #305. I somehow admitted that Augustine was a Universalist, and that I somehow admitted it?! That's crazy MB. I said nothing of the kind. Re-read my post.
    So the trio of Augustine, Calvin and myself are considered Universalists by the esteemed theologian MB. Well sure, that makes sense. :-O

I hereby order you to go forthwith to a well-stocked Church History library.
    Hmm..deep. You are aware that Paul was sent to the Gentiles, right? His Epistles are written to largely Gentile believers. Do you believe that Ephesians 1:4,5 also applies to you? Do you believe that Romans 8:28-39 applies to you? Is that an encouraging promise for you? In verse 33 Paul writes : Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? Who are the chosen MB? Yes, that's right --the elect. Nothing will separate us from the love of Christ. It does not refer to the elect and the non-elect --but only to the elect.

Have you made your calling and election sure? as 2 Peter 1:10 enjoins us to do? And of course 2 Cor. 13:5 is related to the former.
    You are just trying your best to bad-mouth me because you have no argument.

It's more of a contrast.

11. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post is regarding 1 Timothy 2:4-6. Since MB claims he doesn't believe my form of Calvinism I will quote another's exposition of the text. This is from By His Grace and for His Glory by Thomas J. Nettles (with a very slight modification).

The phases "all people to be saved" (v.4) and "ransom for all people" (v.6) pose the reputed problem here. The "therefore" of verse 1 picks up the entire argument of 1 Timothy 1, wherein the law is related to the ungodly (vv. 5-10) and the commission of Paul as apostle to the Gentiles and protector of the purity of the gospel (vv.11-20). The request for prayers "for all people" (2:1) refers to people in all kinds of authoriative positions, for the specific purpose of maintaining external peace and quiet so that God's people might enjoy opportunity for the proper development of godliness and honesty. Thus, the application of law to civil societry by the authorities, for whom Christains should pray, becomes the application of 1:5-10. The "all people" and "all people" of 2:4,6 constitute the fulfillment of Jesus' ministry into the world to save sinners and the justification of Paul's mission to the Gentiles (2:7). Jesus' death to save sinners is for Gentiles as well as Jew; otherwise, Paul has no justification, for his minsrty. "All," therefore, need not refer to each and every individual who ever lived (many of whom were already suffering the wrath of God but only to many people from all nations. (pgs. 2:29,30).

12. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Good post. It doesn't seem Rippon has an answer for it.

13. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God chastises or disciplines His own children --not everyone outside the family of God.
    Rev. 3:19 : Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.
    Heb. 12:5-11 : And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses his son?It says,
    My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
    and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
    because the lord disciplines the one he loves
    and he chastens everyone he accepts as his child.
    Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children.
    For what children are not disciplined by their father?
    If you are not disciplined --and everyone undergoes discipline
    --then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.
    Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and
    we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the
    Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they
    thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may
    share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.
    Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those
    who have been trained by it.

The Lord's discipline or chastisement is for His own children. It means one belongs to God in
    counterdistinction to those who He does not discipline.
    God loves the elect before they are made regenerate. But for those who remain in their reprobate state He does not love them. One who lives a life never fearing God? Then God's love is not in them.

I looked through the book of Acts and found many expressions such as "God-fearing Jews" --"God-fearing Gentiles" --"God-fearing Greeks" "God-fearing women" "God-fearing man". No, those outside of God all their lives are not loved of God.
    It is beyond question that those whom the Lord is said to not know are not loved by God. To know is an intimacy. Those who are not so regarded by the Lord are hated by God.
    You say He provided a place for them. I had to laugh (and still am laughing). No, He doesn't love them. He hates them as much as He hates Satan and his demons.
    Does God require us to be jealous? God is jealous, but His jealousy is entirely pure.
    God revels in His glory. Does God require us to have ourselves as the first priority in our lives? Of course not. But God thinks of Himself first and foremost --He is self-centered in the most appropriate sense of the term. He can't requre that of ourselves.

God has loved us when we were still enemies with Him. but Scripture doesn't say He has love for every single person who is his enemy throughout their lifetime.

There are many verses in Scripture stating that God hates some people. Therefore He does not love all.

John Owen (1616-1683) "We deny that all mankind are the object of that love of God."
    Herman Witsius (1636-1708) "He therefore separates from himself, and from his chosen people, all he cannot make partakers of his favour; and so he cannot but inflict upon them that punishment which is the effect of his hatred."
    Robert Haldane (1754-1842) "Nothing, then, is said of Esau but that might not be said of every man who shall finally perish."

14. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a liar I have never agreed with you on any thing You are just a clanging symbol. Making noise
    Here you go trying to make scripture favor you J.W. view Your misspelled words show your inability to use the spell check and your lack of education.
    MB

15. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it isn't false. You must have a hard time reading.and understanding what you read.
    You're are a warm over Catholic
    Don't bother your distorted view isn't worth while reading..
    Then
    Your the one in opposition to God's word. If He doesn't Love everyone then why did He say;.

1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    Your distorted view of God's Holy Word. Christ said;

Mar_16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    The way I read it you dd.
    I can't believe it we agree

I thank God I don't believe in your false doctrine.
    MB

16. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, perhaps some do not look at the rebuke one has for sinful living, and ultimately the hell, and the lake of fire as chastisement.

Did God not send Jonah to Nineveh? Why? Was there in that city those that were "outside the family of God?" Or what of Babylon? What of Jerusalem, Sodom, Gomorrah, Jerico, Ai, Egypt?

God often brought chastisement upon those that were "outside the family" throughout the Scriptures.

Scripture please.

You are assuming that God doesn't love whom He demands believers to love.

So, because you didn't find it, then the demand by Christ to "love your enemies" is invalidated?

Here is a difficulty in what you present.

If one holds as value the statement above, then it in some respect diminishes the authority of God to intimately be acquainted with even the thoughts of a person before they are even thought, and every motive and agenda of all the Creation. He would have some how missed that Satan had iniquity in the heart, for he would have not known because God (according to you) doesn't love outside of His family.

I remind you that embrace the Doctrines of Grace, but in a modified form. This is one of the areas in which I consider that the fore folks got it wrong because (as was with some) the times they lived were as reactionary as could ever be found. So some statements of belief must be a product of the times and yet there are those theologians who would attempt to bring such into application irregardless of the truth and in direct opposition to the Scriptures.

This is why though I embrace the Doctrines of Grace, I also am unashamed to say that I do so in a modified form. I take Scriptures at face value. When the Scriptures say, God is Love, then God is love. When the Scriptures say, love your enemies, then the God in heaven must certainly love His enemies, too.

One cannot cling to some human construction that violates the core of the personality of God, and expect that construction to be correct.

Satan is the father of all lies. There is judgment prepared for Satan and all of his. Would you show scripture that God hates Satan? Does not God's love provided justice and truth, and in justice and truth certainly God provided a place for those that follow the father of lies and the father of lies?

Such does not diminish the love of God, but shows that character of love that must also extend through the believer when He expressed we are to love our enemies. Therefore, the believer can resolutely show care and concern (even love) and yet understand that sinful behavior has consequences. That the enemy, though loved, will suffer.

That God is a jealous God is towards folks placing idols made of creation above Him. It is not that God is "self-centered." God wants folks to place Him in the appropriate relationship to all the creation - as the creator. That is not "self-centered." :(
    Then you make Christ a liar, by requiring of believers what God does not do, Himself.
    Really? Perhaps you should list some. And then prove that believers should not love when Christ states that we are to love - even our enemies.

"Jacob I loved, Esau I hated." is showing that God placed the younger over the older, not that God despised in the manner of hate some would assign. Some would assign hate as detest, rather the word "hate" can also mean "love less." I hate liver, and love steak. It isn't that I "detest" liver, but that in comparison to steak, there is little favor shown.

Jacob I loved, and Esau I loved less" is just as accurate a translation.

As a scholar, you should know this.

You can quote old dead theologians until the sun goes down. But that doesn't change the facts.

"God is love" Christ said, "Love your enemies..."

Therefore, it is expected that the believer as an emulation of God is to follow the righteousness of God and love whom He loves - even the enemies.

Until you can demonstrate either God requiring something of the believer that He does not require of Himself, or that Christ lied, was saying what He said, or in some manner discredit what He said, then it remains that the character of God is Love and that He loves even His enemies and believers are to emulate that character.

17. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Just opinion and the philosophy of men. Notice that no scripture is quoted.

18. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MB, I had simply made a typo that I have since corrected. You get hot under the collar for nothing. You'd better watch your blood pressure.

I had quoted Tom Nettles. Any reasonable person could tell it has absolutely nothing to do with the beliefs of the JWs.

19. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia, in post 30 above, posted some relevant Scripture.

20. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've already covered that.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the above, but especially as it is expressed in Matthew 28:18-20.

Nothing in all that I have posted would leave any reader of my posts to believe that I do not believe in the Great Commission.
    We do not agree. I was using sarcasm,but I guess it went over your head.

I had referenced Scripture :Ephesians 1:4,5;Romans 8:28-39;2 Cor. 13:5 and 2 Peter 1:10.
    I had asked you specific questions about each. If, in fact, you believe those passages --why do you rail against me for holding to them?