Free will makes God appear impotent.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by convicted1, Aug 9, 2014.

1. convicted1 Guest

Not being arrogant or nasty whatsoever...just stating the truth...truth is never arrogant...nasty? Yes. The truth hurts...cuts deep...

2. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And that goes both ways, correct? Do you see that Adam having freewill did not usurp God's sovereignty?

3. convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup:

Freewill? Yes. Usurp His authority? No. But that doesn't strengthen you case whatsoever. After Adam sinned, he fled from God. He wanted nothing to do with Him. He hid, and so did Eve.

4. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It absolutely MAKES my case. All Calvinist became Calvinist BASED upon the sovereignty of God, this is their foundation for accepting all of the TULIP demands. Every Calvinist will begin with "God is Sovereign" when they start their arguments.

5. convicted1 Guest

Where was Adam's freewill to come to God? He ran like a scared rabbit....

6. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I challenge you! You take away your belief that freewill usurps God's sovereignty (and you have admitted it does not) and then see if TULIP stands for you.

7. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are allowed to argue that there is no freewill allowed post fall, just don't claim it because of God's sovereignty and see how TULIP stands up then.

8. convicted1 Guest

Are you going to answer my question or deflect?

Where was Adam's freewill when God came to him?

9. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Deflect what? Adam had freewill before he sinned, this you agree with. So I say it was still there after he sinned, you say it wasn't. We both know it was there, so it is up to you to prove it was gone. Hiding from God does not say anything about freewill, it only shows a disconnect from holiness.

10. convicted1 Guest

Adam was born upright, was perfect, complete, holy. None of us possess these attributes now. The only way we attain these attributes is via Christ's atonement via the cross. Adam forfeited all those for himself, and all his posterity. The first Adam is of the earth, is earthly; the Last Adam, Jesus Christ, is quickening Spirit.

Free mean no restrictions. We can do anything, being free. If we are free in that manner, then we could have approached God w/o any unctioning of the Spirit.

That's why Jesus said no man can come unto Me, except My Father which sent Me, draws him. We aren't free to approach God unless He first beckons us.

Again, where was Adam's freewill when he fled fro God calling out to him?

11. convicted1 Guest

The truth shall make you free....

I AM the truth....

Both are biblical truths....

12. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, this is a good start. We can debate whether or not man has a freewill post fall, just as long as there is no premise that it is because freewill goes against God's sovereignty.

Ok, just so we move forward understanding the same, what does this conclude then? Is freewill restored in Christ? And if not, then being in Christ does not return us to the state of Adam pre-fall, correct?

13. convicted1 Guest

I see it that the will and nature are intertwined. We, as sinners, have a fallen will. We acted in the bounds of that nature freely. We did as Adam did, fled from God. In His time, He quickened us, changed our nature, and conversely our will. Now that we have a new will, it is "Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven." Change the nature, change the will.

14. convicted1 Guest

What I'm driving at, Brother Steaver, is that no amount of witnessing, no amount of testifying, no amount of preaching makes a sinner desire God unless He first draws them. When God changes their "want to", they will seek for Him. If they were truly free, free has no restraints, then how is it necessary to be first drawn? That's not freedom, that's not free will in the least, imo...

15. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe in part, but we see our will divided oftentimes don't we, even as Christians, we do not always do God's will, we freely choose to disobey many times, even by the sin nature that still reigns in our flesh. Is this not freewill?

16. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But freewill is having the freedom to make choices. If there are no choices, then there is no freewill necessary. And I'm sorry, but to say man has a choice but man has no choice but to always choose one way, that is not a choice and imo is a silly argument.

17. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey, good chatting with you brother. I have to get to bed for now. :wavey:

18. convicted1 Guest

This is where understanding regeneration being the starting point and not the finish line is important. The will to choose God, from our part, is after regeneration has taken place. We then freely choose Him, because He has given us the ability to do so.

Good night dear Brother. :sleep:

I am flattered you used me in your signature. :laugh:

19. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there you have it folks:thumbs:

20. steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And this is indeed the sticking point between Cals and Non-Cals. Imo this must be presumed by the Calvinist, for I don't see this laid out in the Scriptures. What I see is God over and over giving the people space/grace to repent. I see God convicting people of their sins, I see God drawing people to believe and repent. I do not see anywhere in the Scripture saying Adam lost his freewill to make positive choices towards God. You agree freewill was created in Adam, imo you cannot prove freewill was lost at the fall.

Please consider those thoughts Calvinism has led you to embrace. If they were true, would Jesus Christ Himself not have spoken it in the Gospels? God is Love we read from the Scriptures, making just judgments is not Hate.