1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have you heard the voice of God? Or, if He talks, what ways do you hear Him?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CJ Mahaney is not a Southern Baptist pastor, he was the head of Sovereign Grace Ministries, and pastor of Sovereign Grace Church in Louisville. Considering that Sovereign Grace is (clear thinking) charismatic it is no surprise that he believes in hearing g from God. That does not change the fact that to believe God gives direct Revelation today is a direct attack on the Suffiency of Scripture. All the experience in the world will not change that fact. Either the Bible is all we need for faith and practice or it is not. If you say it is not then what do you stand on since the Bible is not enough?

• Like Like x 2
  2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh great man of grammar, why do you not copy and paste the entire sentence. If you had pasted the entire sentence you wouldn't be making a donkey's rear-end mistake. Roflmao

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Jealous are you? Soon and very soon, you will audibly hear the voice of God. Let's hope you don't have this funny little cartoon in your pocket that day????

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a man that professes to be cut from the same clothe ( made in the image of God) as all others believers, Tom does not seem to be practicing what he preaches. Should we not pray for the sick? So why are you so quick to mock the sick?

#25 righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  6. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how exactly do you know this as truth? After all, he is created in the same image of God as you and I.; is he not?

8. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Tim 3:16-17
    16All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Either the Scripture is complete with the 66 books of the canon, or men of God have not been completely equipped for the last 2000 years, and we still may not be thoroughly equipped if Revelation is still being given.
    I'm going to stand with the Bible on this and boldly say that Christians have been fully equipped since the canon was closed. What do you stand with?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes I'm hearing a voice right now tell me that rm has used the scripture out of context that was a promise given to the apostles not to every Christian. The voice is also telling me that this is in conflict with scripture then taking it out of context and misguided it is in conflict with Scripture.

• Like Like x 2
  10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as he thus proceeded with his defense, Festus called out loudly, Paul, you are mad! Your great learning is driving you insane! Acts 26:24

Thanks Tom. I'm in good company, being "mentally unhinged!" So does this make you and your mocking followers ALL pharisee's?

Now we all know the truth about you. Shall we call you Festus?

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again this is merely your opinion, so tell me Icon, who died and made you all knowledgeable? All knowing? Master theologian? The final authority on all things scriptural? Your "out of context" may just mean, not to your liking?

Oh, and to finally answer your snarky, mocking question, yes, God has spoken to me. If He could speak to Noah; to Jonah; to Moses; to Joshua; to Daniel; to the Disciples; to Paul; to John on Patmos. Whom are you to question whom God speaks to, and how those who hear His voice when we read His word, pray and meditate? Moi thinks those who have not heard His voice are jealous, and along with MOCKING others created in the same image you were created in, jealousy is the sin of coveting. God does speak to those who willing to listen. The rest are passed by, and left to their critical minds.

#31 righteousdude2, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My own experience would be very similar - I can remember twice while I was out walking and did not have a Bible in hand where God answered my prayer with very clear reminders from His word. Both involved the frustration of a slow and plodding church plant that we are in. Once the impression was 'I'll let you know when I want you to move on' and the second was when I remembered the verse that says 'take heed to the ministry that you have received from the Lord and do not lose heart' followed by the impression 'why don't you work on loving the people I have given you instead of fretting about the size?'

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that some may want to interpret God speaking to us as being audible. I do believe God does still speak in audible ways to us, as he did throughout the history of the Old and New Testament. However, I agree with those who also say God speaks through other ways. We just need to be obedient to the point of listening when the word is sent to us. Scarlett makes a great observation, as does C4K. Shalom!

14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...well, much ado over nothing. Personally, I'm so thankful I'm not a theologian. Ain't got much book learnin' but I can say this. God spoke directly to His Priests, as per the Old Testament..., He spoke to us through Jesus in the flesh..., He sent the Comforter who effectively speaks to us today and we have His complete Written Word which speaks to us..., but to some on here He doesn't speak to at all short of the written word? Good thing they can read.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I heard from God in a very similar way. It was prior to being called to my first church. I was about to candidate in view of a call and I was out mowing the lawn. While doing so I was going over the up and coming time I would spend with the church wondering about different things to include if I would be called. The impression I received was "Mark don't worry about all of that. If you are called just love them."

• Like Like x 1
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - And God spoke again. Your hearing from God has blessed me this morning. This is what I needed to hear today and I'm going to share it with my husband. I think it's a common struggle in small church plants/new campuses and this is very much where we are in our mission here! Thank you C4K!

• Like Like x 1
  17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can one be "Called to preach" if they don't "hear?"

The Lord Jesus Christ said, "He that has ears let him hear?" Apparently some do not hear?

Yes the Scriptures are "cannoned" but who put the cannon together?

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work," is not a verse to indicate that the cannon of 66 books is all that God will ever say on any subject concerning humankind. The verse just can't be used that way. The verse is stating that the Scriptures are "profitable, useful, a tool" but in no way is the verse exclusive.

It would be difficult to sit under a pastor who has not walked intimately with God and heard directly from God, seeks out the wisdom and direction of God, and is given direct insight by God.

Not saying that the typical charismatic thinking is correct, nor is much of anything in that camp to be emulated, or assumed as normally Scriptural.

Just encouraging the readers to trust that God does directly hear and answer the prayers of those He calls His, and that He speaks to the heart and living of every believer, if they are listening.

But remember that, like Moses standing on Holy ground, the Creator doesn't tolerate fools. Come humbly, come earnestly, come honestly, come in worship with an open heart and Bible, and don't be in a hurry. David waited three days, the Lord Jesus Christ would spend hours in prayer. Often the believer who is too busy with the fleshly, will only reap what is fleshly.

18. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This entire thread is just tragic to me. Previous generations fought for the infallibility of the Bible and yet this generation is determined to destroy the Suffiency of Scripture.

You can tell me I'm jealous if it makes you feel better. But even I have stories I could tell of "hearing" things. But the thing is I don't think experience mean anything because they are subjective. I view my experience through the Bible, not the Bible through my experiences because that is the only way to stay in solid ground. So we either stand on absolute truth, the word of God or we will be tossed around by every wind of doctrine.

It's also tragic to me that the root of the Reformation was getting back to the Bible, and doing away with all the extras the RCC had added and now here we are just 500 years later wanting desperately to have more then the Bible. Why is the Bible not enough for us? Why are we not satisfied with this wonderful letter that God has preserved for us throughout the centuries.

I would say that this is one of my biggest passions, the importance of the Scriptures and their Suffiency, because I have seen first hand what happens when we abandon it for subjective experience.

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I believe we can hear the voice of God through scripture or by His Spirit bearing witness to our spirit which would comfort out spirit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As hard as it may be to hear those who have never heard from God have never served God in a sacrificial way. I do not mean a sacrifice like someone gave up a television show to be at church. I mean great sacrifices that cost them money, anguished prayer, serving continuously until one is both physically and mentally tired to the point of feeling like I just cannot take any more and yet kept serving. Someone who got involved with people's lives to minister to them and disciple them who afterwards you needed to take a shower or felt like you did because of the literal and emotional filth in their lives. I could go on but I believe my point is made. The Christian life is to be more than just studying doctrine and then making claims on the internet about doctrine of which one has nor real knowledge of because they never had to actually apply it to their lives in a sacrificial way.

So they criticize others for what they do not really know because they have made little to no sacrifice for God in their lives. Failure to serve God sacrificially will always lead to errant doctrines and Pharisaical attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.