1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have you heard the voice of God? Or, if He talks, what ways do you hear Him?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one in this thread has abandoned the sufficiency of scripture for subjective experience. That is a false charge and bearing false witness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Lord, I thank you that I'm not like those who have never sacrificed like I have. I thank you that I'm not like those who have never kept going when they felt like giving up like I have. I thank you that I'm not like those who spend their time on the internet. I thank you that I'm not like...

Yep no Pharisaical attitude here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Umm...I did not say that. You are completely misrepresenting my post. Again bearing false witness. However, you have leveled some very strong and unsubstantiated accusations against those with whom you disagree. You further compound your error and gross sin by misrepresenting what I have posted.

4. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I forgot that only you are allowed to make claim that you can't back up. Like those of us who are contending for the faith, and standing up for the Suffiency of Scripture have never sacrificed themselves, or pushed beyond all human endurance, depending on God's strength, or have been so involved with people's lives that we needed a shower afterwards etc.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you missed post 27 where I was asked how I knew that CJ Mahaney's words were not Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ok now that we have established your misrepresentation of what I said I will further say your own words tell on you. When one is inexperienced that is what happens. Also, when you try to stand on the sufficiency of scripture while ignoring the role of the HG while doing it that will lead to your errant view. That is what is a shame.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was post # 26 and nothing Jerome posted shows and abandonment of the sufficiency of scripture. Your errant application of that doctrine does not impose that on anyone.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanks brother - that blessed me today.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks Ann - your post as well touched my heart :)

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't think that is the mindset - at least it is not for me. The two times I remember clearly the 'impression' was tied to scripture I knew - 'do not be weary in well doing...' and 'take heed to the ministry you have received...'

The personal 'impressions' were in totally conformity to the word of God, not an abandonment of it.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I certainly understand, though I may not agree totally.

The two times where God has impressed my heart with specific words which aligned with scripture were time of great turmoil and near despair. I deserved a slap across the head, but I got words of comfort. I am grateful for a Father who knows just how to break though my doubts and fears. Sure it does in His word daily (like He is right now with 'is the arm of the Lord shortened?') but there are times when He takes that unusual (I think) step of comforting us in a special way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one has accused you of" great learning". The comparison fails at this point.WinkRedfaceWhistling

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that people are talking past one another in this thread.

God does not speak to us in an audible voice today. Hebrews 1:1 "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;"

Nobody is claiming that God does not lead us, guide us, instruct us, illuminate us, and direct us. But that is not speech. That is leading, guiding, instructing, illuminating and directing. Psalm 32:8 "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye."

One of the problems we have today is the imprecise use of language. We say "God spoke to me" when, in fact, He didn't. He led you, or guided you, or instructed you, or illuminated you, or directed you.

An earlier post mentioned our calling. Did God speak to me in an audible voice when he called me into full time vocational ministry in 1974? No. He used the preaching of the word of God and the convicting ministry of the Holy Spirit to lead me, guide me, instruct me, and illuminate me to the point that I knew, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that He wanted me to serve Him, full time, for the rest of my days.

He did a very similar thing when he saved me. He, through the preaching of His word, drew me unto Himself and caused me to believe in His sacrifice on my behalf. He "spoke" to me, not in audible words, but through His word that (John 1:12) "as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

And he did it again when he called me to His service via Matthew 28:18 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

And with 1 Peter 5:1 "The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
    2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
    3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock."

But in all that leading, guiding, instructing, illuminating and directing never once did a hear His audible voice, not in my head nor out of it.

#53 TCassidy, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, you have a great mind when it comes to knowing the scripture. And while we disagree on you version versus my version, the fact of the matter is, you have potential. The only thing missing is your penchant for understanding the supernatural abilities of God. Abilities that are always going to be unexplanable to mere folks.

Your own lack of faith in what God can and cannot do is the only thing keeping you from hearing him speak to you. AND THAT IS YOUR LOSS!!!!!!!!!!

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For sure that can be said of you, but just because you may lack academic skills does not mean I am at your level of intellect. You have a bad problem Icon. And that problem is transferring your weakness and inferior ways upon others in order to not feel less than your peers.

Truth is. Academically, intellectually and accomplishment in hand, you do not come anywhere close to my level of academia. Sorry, but just because you are intellectually inferior to many of your peers, please don't try to pull me down to your level in the world of smarts.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh man - I forgot about that!! Yep - that was one of those "crying out to God" times and where I got a smack upside the head during it.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    dude

(Again this is merely your opinion, )
    Wait....I am getting an impression....I feel words forming...here they are-
    Actually Dude.....it is scriptural fact.

(so tell me Icon, who died and made you all knowledgeable?)
    Jesus died and rose again. He ascended and sent the Spirit to indwelling Christuans. The indwelling Spirit allows regular everyday Christian's to understand the Scriptures , to understand what He had the men write.

Super Christians like you are not bound by these rules.
    You are just like the super apostles Paul.mentioned in 2 Cor 11,12

( All knowing? Master theologian?)

While I have not made such a claim.....compared to the unbiblical fluff you offer.....maybe I should consider myself as such.
    (The final authority on all things scriptural? )

Offer your thoughts big boy....or wait to hear some new direct revelation, or hold out for another of your out of body experiences. ...that will be.more authoritative.
    As TC posted Isa 8:20....unless you can answer scriptural ly you have nothing to say.

(Your "out of context" may just mean, not to your liking?)

Or....it can indeed be out of context. Anyone with scriptural acumen knows who was being spoken to and what was being said.

(Oh, and to finally answer your snarky, mocking question, yes, God has spoken to me. If He could speak to Noah; to Jonah; to Moses; to Joshua; to Daniel; to the Disciples; to Paul; to John on Patmos. )
    Of course....you are just the same as these men who.scripture speaks of.....lol....dream on .....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#57 Iconoclast, Nov 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

If it is all the same to you Dude... I will take my chances and go with what I have been given....

#58 Iconoclast, Nov 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Hey, this was a good thread guys. Any chance you could get back to the topic and quit picking at each other?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Well said TC.......most are content with the truth if God never leaving or forsaking us. God working through prayer, providence, the Spirit illuminating the word, angels ministering to us.....
    These other claims of impressions ,etc.....do they claim the same if the thoughts are sinful?

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.