1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrews 9:27

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    George said:
    Thomas asked:
    George replied:
    Thomas is not satisfied:

I will admit that I'm not a learned theologian so I'm having a hard time understanding this doctrine. Looking at it with kids eyes at what Jesus told Nicodemus (speaking about the new birth) in John 3:10 "Are you a teacher of Israel, and do not know these things?" Seems like our Lord is implying that Nicodemus should have known about the new birth. Without consulting the commentaries I would simply think that Jesus is really saying that if one fully trusts in Jehovah for all his needs and seeking forgiveness of sin then one would know that they need transformation which can only come from God. Even the unbelieving Jews knew that only Jehovah forgives sin, they just didn't want to trust.

Jesus doesn't say to Nicodemus that he is spiritually blind like he does to the other religious leaders but he does say he must be be born again and that this should be something he should know something about. If Nicodemus had said to Jesus "I want to be born again", what would Jesus have said? I think it would have been something along the lines of "believe in God and also believe in me". I doubt Jesus would have said "Nicodemus, wait another 3 years for me to be crucified and raised from the dead, then believe on me then you will be born again".

I don't have to win this argument but would it not be easier to conclude that the righteous prior to the resurrection of Jesus were saved the same way we today are saved, by the shed blood of Christ? If so then could not the OT saints be Born Again on what could be considered something like credit? Their sin debt is paid by Christ and Him crucified credited to their account before payment was actually received?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, of course, you are right. As already stated, the new birth was prophesied in the O.T. but as a future reality.

Yep. Many things Christ spoke of were future, and note that only John ever mentions that new birth among the evangelists.

No it would not, that oft repeated mantra flies in the face of scores of verses and in the face of the fact that the apostles themselves had no idea what Christ was talking about when he prophesied his death and resurrection and some even tried to stop it.

I don't have to win the argument either, and I respect your cordial spirit. I realize this is a huge topic and maybe some day we can broach more fully. I realize that such snippets won't satisfy you now, even as they did not satisfy me when I first heard such things, but it got me praying and digging in the word :)

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would the basis for those terms jopse be based upon the will of God or upon Foreknowledge?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL who have even been saved, either Old or new, were saved by being under the NC!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All who have been saved are included under the NC, as only in Adam or in Christ!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God authors sin per you?

7. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Predestination in the Bible is never that of a lost man unto salvation, but always of a saved man unto a resurrection body bearing Christ's physical image. God predestinated the believers, those he foreknew would believe, to obtain a Christ-like resurrection body. That's what the verses say. Please take the time to consider the study here for proof:

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, I am pretty sure all Calvinists lean toward exhaustive determinism, God's knowledge of the future fixes the future and no other outcome is possible. However, that view is malarkey. God causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass...

What the verse seems to me to be saying is there are no second chances for salvation after we physically die. Judgment is swift and sure, and the lost are condemned already. John 3:18.

OTOH, God is the God of continuing chances as long as we live, therefore repent and believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We certainly do not know the mind of God nor do we know when his redemptive choice will be enacted. For some, like myself, that redemption was at age 4. For others, like the thief on the cross, that redemption was just prior to death.

God is not a God of chance. He's not sitting back, wondering if someone will choose him. God knows that all humans, given their own willful choice, would rebel and reject unto death.

But God...even when we were dead in our trespasses and sins...made us alive with Christ.

That is not a God of chances, but it is a God of Sovereign choice within His Sovereign time.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone say God is a God of Chance? Nope so yet another misrepresentation...
    God does not know whether all humans will rebel and reject God.
    Psalms 14:2 - The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of mankind To see if there are any who understand, Who seek God

Psalms 14:5 There they are in great dread,
    For God is with a righteous generation

Pay no attention to Calvinist claims not supported by specific references to scripture.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did. Let's quote you for good measure:

12. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait. Are you reframing @Van 's use of the word "chance" in "God is the God of continuing chances" as if he meant "randomness"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, I am saying God is not giving "chances." God knows exactly who is saved and when, on a historical timeline, they will respond in hearing God's voice. There is no teaching in scripture that God gives "chances" as though he were a barker at the county fair calling out for men to take their best shot at winning the big stuffed bear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you then an Open theist? is God surprised, or does He learn more things?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some seem to see God tha father as giving his Son jesus to save us, and yet he keeps watching from afar, pleading with and hoping some lost sinners will come to their senses and accept Jesus to save them!

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. Perhaps they just don't understand what it means to be the Supreme ruler over all things. Rulers don't plead with rebels.

17. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyrants don't. My loving God does. I am sincerely deeply sorry that's how you view God.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your God loves holiness and righteousness. Your God loves those whom He has graciously chosen to redeem and purchase with His blood. Your God is the Sovereign over all and He will not turn his back on justly casting unrepentant rebels into eternal hell. That is a God of love. That is the God who chose you, despite your wretchedness. I pity you if you do not understand the God of grace.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Together with Christ is the accepted translation of syzōopoieō which is a compound word with one component meaning union with fellowship, and the other component meaning to be made alive. Thus "made alive together with Christ" captures the whole meaning. Here, in Ephesians 2:5 and in Colossians 2:13 the idea is the same. Thus the translations that leave out the idea of union (together with) leave part of the inspired word untranslated.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, God providing the lost with the continuing chance for salvation does not make God a God of chance. Your assertion is bogus nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.