1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In what area's of life should disciples of Christ be concerned with?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CalTech, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, I actually thought of you and other ex-military Christians when I responded with that quote. I know all too well from my own life experiences how God blesses in ways and places unexpected. Looking back, it was His guiding hand directing my path.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings, thank you for the response.

However this statement by you " When I meet anyone, they are a child of God to me... A sinner?... We are ALL sinners by nature... They need love and instruction, not criticism... There is plenty of that even among believers... NONE are Heaven bound by anything they did... Brother Glen"

First, the Lord's word has something to say about that, anyone who is NOT a believer is a child of the devil because they are of and in the flesh and dead in their trespasses and sins.
    Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God:

Secondly, nothing within your statement has anything to do with the Original Post. There is not one instance where I am criticizing unbeliever's as you are intimating here: "They need love and instruction, not criticism."
    I am discussing in what area's of life does the LORD expect of His children to keep separated from.

I hope this clears up your obvious mis-understanding of the OP.

The Lord bless you......
    In His Love.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Your response does not answer the question, and those "scriptures given" truly have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

It is just being rather "evasive" to the question put forth.........because your statement about "balance" does not answer anything specific.

The Lord bless you.
    In His Love...

4. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Thank you for responding.....

"Disciples of Christ should serve in whatever capacity the Lord where Christ leads them. If this means serving in the military, serving in public office, serving in the local church, serving at a food bank, or serving by doing home projects for widows and the elderly. There is nothing wrong with serving as a soldier, government official, police officer, firefighter, etc. per se"

The Lord would lead them ONLY according to His desire's and His Will as laid out by Him and His Apostles teachings. So since they instruct us NOT to, then how is the Lord leading them to be involved with various government institution's and services as mentioned above. I never included "Volunteer Firefighter's" unless they are being paid and must live at the station periodically away from their families, and it is still questionable if a "dangerous" occupation is allowed. And you have only given your thoughts,without any scriptural content to support your standing.

"Absolutely yes! We must do our due diligence, especially in the Primaries, and vote for the candidates who best represent Biblical values. We should not lose heart when it seems there are no good candidates. Again, we must pray about the candidates, as well as propositions and other issues that come up on the ballot."

Again, since "Christians and non-Christians" have protested for decades against abortion, why has the Lord not honored the desires of His People to stop such a evil practice? Since when are Disciples of the Lord to command unbeliever's to NOT sin against their bodies and murder unborn babies? We are just commanded to be witnesses of His Gospel and to preach salvation to them as the Lord leads us. And where are we instructed to be involved with "Elections"? You give no scriptural support to back up your "opinion". Also how has that involvement with Elections worked out for "believer's? Corruption within the Government has increase for over 100 years......

"A Biblical basis for government is also found in Genesis 9:5-6, where God provides general authorization for action against murderers. This passage implies that communities must form or support governments capable of administering justice. As followers of Christ, we should be model citizens. If Christians had not been involved, slavery could still be the law of the land."

First of all the "instructions" given to Noah after the flood was for that time period, before the Law. And at one time that was carried out in the United States, however the various "elected" men in Governments began to "end" the death penalty over 100 years ago. And then was re-established in some states in the late 80's. With the exception of Washington DC.
    I agree we the Disciples of Christ should be model "citizens" that reflect the desires of the Lord's Heavenly Kingdom while on the earth, according to HIS and His Apostles teachings.........again you have failed to give Scriptural support to your "human reasoning". Slavery is still the law of the Land......one law for the masses which governmental leaders do not and have not followed. They are ALL lawless.....

Now as for "Carmen", thank you for sharing, I did attend a concert in the very early 90's in Virginia, and was not impressed at all and due to that concert, I did some research on him, he was "ecumenical" and popular on the TBN network. So I have no desire to hear anything from him.

The Lord bless you....
    In His Love....

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just have to ask, if Christians voice no opposition to abortion, what do you think the result will be?

Should we wait for the world to voice opposition and hope they can see changes made?

Are you opposed to abortion?

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

yes, a Christian is free to accept or decline all of the above!

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Principles of God's will are found before the establishment of the Covenant of Law. The principle of supporting those who preach, teach, minister the Word of God is an example. That is seen before, during, and after the Law. Vicarious death is another: that begins in the Garden, continues through the Law, and is ultimately fulfilled in Christ.

Ideally, God is to be the Governor, but He still had those who governed. A Judge might be a good example. Israel rejected God as their Sole Governor and clamored for a king like other nations. And unfortunately, that is the state we find ourselves in today.

In another thread dealing with the death penalty, something came up I will present for your consideration: while some would refuse to sit on a jury for such a case, wouldn't it be beneficial for those with a Biblical view to sit as "judges" of the proceedings? That is the basic principle of trial by a jury of our peers, right? We should have the discernment to perceive corrupt proceedings. And wouldn't we want a just judge? Would a judge be more prone to condemn if he/she were a racist?

Could you explain to me why it simply doesn't matter whether we have Bible-believing people making decisions that have a great impact on our lives as Christians?

You understand that our freedom to post your views on a public forum is due to the fact that God-fearing men felt it necessary to stipulate your freedom of speech, right?

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could I ask what radio show that would be? Hope its not one of the ones I call from time to time, lol.

God bless.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you mind expanding on what you mean by this?

God bless.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I

Its been well over 15 years since I hosted my show
    and it was just a local show - and well before radio being on the internet.

The Name was SOS - The School of Scrutiny

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it be due to the increase in power in the Liberal Agenda and the infiltration and takeover of the Government by people who do not fear God?

And I would suggest that the growth of power in the Liberal Agenda is due directly to Christians sitting on their fannies while the world literally goes to Hell in a hand-picked basket.

And there is a way, if one is actually against the murder of infants in the womb, to combat such evil men and women being in power.

But you suggest Christians should not be involved in removing such evil from the government.

Would that be because you are actually supporting those who are evil? Because from my own perspective one who has the power to influence good and evil in our country and in our world and does nothing is just as much a supporter of the evil as those who are actively supporting it through their efforts.

Like those who go out and perform the work of a missionary and seek to persuade the views and actions of others.

Are you suggesting God has not stopped the evil practice of abortion because He doesn't want Christians interacting with the world?

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's awesome. I would love to have that opportunity. I call some of the "Bible Answer Men" sometimes. Matt Slick is one of them. Dr. Michael Brown is another. Love both of those guys but some of the things they teach... lol

God bless

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are assuming the Lord instructs us NOT to join the military or be involved in the government. I don't believe Scripture prohibits anyone from serving in the military or any government service. Joshua was a soldier. David was a king. Esther was a queen. Each of the Judges served in a civil capacity. Romans 13:1-7 speaks of the responsibilities of citizenship. I believe that serving in the military, serving in law enforcement, and serving in public office are part of being a good citizen. A quote attributed to Edmund Burke states "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

To keep silent is to condone these terrible sins. We know the "pro-life" Scriptures - Jeremiah 1:5; Jeremiah 14:5; Psalms 139:13-16, and many others. Who stands up for the unborn if not Christ's disciples? Our calling does not end with preaching salvation and making disciples. History shows that it's Christian influence that has changed the world for the better since the time of Christ. The abolition of slavery is a prime example. Who will change laws unless we do? Who will stand for Christ in the public arena if not His followers? Who will vote for Christian values unless we do?

I know you are not being literal here, since the 13th Amendment abolished slavery. We definitely have different standards for different groups, but that is just more evidence that Christians need to step up to the plate and fulfill Christ's prayer - "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done - on Earth as it is in Heaven".

We may have to agree to disagree, and that's okay. Unity in purpose does not mean uniformity in our views.

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize this wasn't aimed at me, but I'd like to reply to it anyway:

IMO, the result of no one standing up to abortion, for example, would be the exact same as it has been since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973...
    and professing believers ( as well as others ) have opposed it and tried to convince people against it for decades.
    Nothing has changed, and abortions continue.

What's more:

From my observations, when the Supreme Court's internal opinion paper was made public via a leak not more than a few weeks ago, the public backlash ( especially by the media ) from those who support it was far worse than I have ever seen it before;
    The simple fact of the matter is, God's children are far outnumbered in this world... and their voices don't matter in the public eye.

Even if outlawed, abortion will continue.

One cannot influence spiritually dead people to care about the things of God, my friend.
    That takes the power of the Lord Himself to do, through His work of the new birth.

May His blessings be upon you.

#34 Dave G, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I appreciate the response. No fun in everybody agreeing, right?

;)

Plus, I don't expect a response from the OP. I'm thinking he has me on ignore.

I would have to disagree with that.

First, I would ask you, are our efforts in vain if only a few lives are saved? What I mean is this: numerous pro-life groups do their very best to persuade women planning to have an abortion to carry the child to term. Would you consider that as "nothing changed?"

Secondly, it's pretty obvious that the Republican Party caters to the Christian and conservative people of this country, seeing it has been a focal issue in their campaigns for quite some time. Do you think they would do that if it were not for the opposition that believers, as well as unbelievers, have presented against abortion?

If you want to see change, simply get all of the Christians who currently voice their opinion on the issue to quit, and it is very likely we might see the Republican party stop running on this issue.

Third, we are to oppose evil no matter what others think, and the murder of the unborn is an evil we can make a difference about.

Lastly, can you tell me that the opposition of Christians against abortion doesn't change anything? Do you think it would be as big an issue if Christians stopped voicing their opinions about it?

I've heard story after story of mothers and children whose lives were affected by the Christians not only speaking out against abortion, pro-actively ministering to those who have been brain-washed by the Liberal Agenda.

How so?

Do we base our opposition on what the Supreme Court has to say on the matter, or what the Word of God has to say? The Supreme Court is always going to change, by reason of death, but the Word of God and the principles therein are timeless.

I hate to tell you this, but our voice certainly matters to them.

Who do you think they went to war against?

And they are winning. They have stopped the mouths of many Christians. They have normalized what not so long ago was accepted as evil.

So having those who advocate a further retreat from the fight against evil (and that is precisely what I see the OP doing, I do not see anything remotely Christian about it) is in my view ridiculous. Particularly when it is supposedly a Christian doing it.

And before I break my soapbox, I will also mention what I view to be probably the worst result of the Liberal and anti-biblical propositions of the OP: there are many people I believe who falsely believe they are Christians, but aren't. We see them advocating a further retreat from what we are called to do, and that is to preach the Gospel. As you mention, a core element of the Gospel is that we are preaching and teaching to those who are dead. I have a hard time believing those who reject Scripture's teaching that homosexuality, murder, and being light in the darkness of this world are in fact Christians. How someone can be a Christian and not only embrace evil doctrine so blatantly unbiblical but go out and seek to subvert others with their false doctrine is beyond me.

And I'll be honest, the OP seems more like the ministry of Atheism than a Christian discussion.

And even if outlawed, adultery will continue. Murder will continue. Hatred will continue.

Doesn't mean we stop preaching and teaching that it is wrong.

On the contrary, who exactly do you think God uses to bring men to the truth?

If we step away from our responsibilities the only thing we have accomplished is that we have given the other side free reign.

And that is precisely what the Body of Christ has done in the last forty years. That is why the Liberal Agenda is so powerful. You may not remember the Johnson and Johnson boycott not too terribly long ago. There was a call for Christians to boycott because they were supporting the Homosexual Agenda (which is just one horn of that beast, the Liberal Agenda). J and J caved in.

Seems like Christians had an impact there.

There is no new birth apart from the Gospel. And how shall they hear, Dave?

And you, my friend. I appreciate the response.

God bless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Respectfully, it seems to me that you act as if life giving and life taking are "what-ifs" that we as men govern...
    They aren't.

According to God's word, He gives life and He takes it.
    A man's days are in the hands of the Lord ( Job 12:10, Job 14:5 ).

He sees all that is happening, and He will execute Judgement when it is time.
    Not one thing.

As Christians we can stand in the road in front of the "truck" that is this world, and except the Lord deliver us from evil men and / or answer our prayers for peace, they will roll over the top of us and keep right on going without even looking back....
    They are not interested in listening to you and to me, they are interested in having their own way no matter what.

That is mankind according to Romans 1, for example, except the Lord be gracious to any of us.

#36 Dave G, May 18, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I see it, believers should stop worrying about what goes on in this world, and concern themselves with obeying the Lord...
    We have plenty on our plates without being concerned with who is going to win the next election, for example;

Which the Lord determines anyway ( Daniel 2:21 ).
    The word of God says we are to be separate from this world, my friend.
    Not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers in any agenda.
    And does that surprise you?
    God's people being outnumbered by unbelievers, and "winning"?

Of course they will...right up until He comes again.
    God will send preachers ( Romans 10:8-17, 1 Corinthians 1:21 ) to gather His elect to Himself.

My friend,
    At the end of the day, this isn't our world, and it's not our fight.
    Again, as God's people, we have no interest in what goes on here.
    It's their world, not ours.
    Ours will come soon enough, and I can tell you with all my heart, I will breathe a sigh of relief. :)

Good evening to you.

#37 Dave G, May 18, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

AMEN!!

Let every word be established by two witnesses.

Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

Joh 8:15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
    Joh 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
    Joh 8:17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
    2Co 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Exactly, but carnal Christians will be more interested in the world, because they are NOT being taught the ways of the Lord!
    And they shall pay a price for that, as Paul wrote, EVERYTHING that is not done according to the Lord's will and His Ways......but according to human fleshly understanding they have not built upon His sure foundation:

1Co 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
    1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
    1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
    1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
    1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
    1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
    1Co 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
    1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

The Lord bless you......
    In His Love.....

19. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

I do believe I already mentioned that I in

Greetings,

That question is NOT in line with the Present Posting, so please keep to the topic, and may I suggest you "Private Message" him, to ask for particular's.

Thank you.....remember "let's follow the rules"!!!!!!!!

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....

20. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

Please supply the Scriptures that support we are free to be involved with the affairs of this world?
    Otherwise, your view is pointless and meaningless.

Thank you....
    The Lord bless you....
    In His Love....

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.