Is Drinking Wine Wrong??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=836341&postcount=166 The above link will explain why the wine and strong drink in Deuteronomy could not have been fermented.

BTW, the wine in both accounts of Deuteronomy, Psalm 104, and in Prov. 20:1; 23:31 are 'yayin,' which further proves the word 'wine' must be generic.

Why would God tell us to stay away from fermented wine in one passage and to partake of it in another? The answer... He wouldn't. We are to stay away from the fermented wine, and partake of non-fermented wine.

They make non-alcoholic wine's and beers today. Why don't the proponents of wine drinking stand for that kind of wine instead of that which is a result of decay-- fermentation?

2. Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. mojoala New Member

Not really.

Word for "Strong Drink"

H7941
    שׁכר
    shêkâr
    shay-kawr'
    From H7937; an intoxicant, that is, intensely alcoholic liquor: - strong drink, + drunkard, strong wine.

4. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
  5. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That totally didn't make any sense!!

yayin (wine in 14:26) is a word that means 'wine' (it's also translated as banqueting and winebibbers). It's from an unused root meaning to effervesce - non-alcoholic juice doesnt' effervesce unless you add carbon dioxide to it or it's fermenting.

shekar (strong drink in 14:26) means "strong drink, intoxicating drink, fermented or intoxicating liquor" according to Strongs. The word is translated as 'strong drink', 'strong wine' or 'drunkard' in the KVJ.

I don't understand this 'generic' thing making it NOT wine. It says what it says.

As for the other verse, it's got totally nothing to do with this OR drinking! He drank the 'blood of the grapes" - the juice, is how I read it. The words mean "blood... of grapes" (figuratively)(dam) and grape (`enab) - one time it's translated as wine (Hosea 3:1) but the rest of the time it's 'grape', That's not wine. The words are completely different in both verses. But then again, he drank oil and honey from the rocks, so I think it's a bit of a different situation from what we normally encounter, don't you think?

6. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - I see the second Deut verse I have is wrong - let me look at the 29 verse. The 32 verse TOTALLY didn't work!

7. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    just as water is a generic word (filtered, non filtered, pure, spring, distilled, muddy, etc...) and milk is also generic (chocolate, skim, homogenized, etc...) so also is wine a generic word.

8. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - I don't see how the chapter 29 verse says that the words in the chapter 14 verse can't be regular wine and strong drink. In chapter 14, the Israelites are getting their 'rules' to live by and in chapter 29 verse 6, it is looking back at the 40 years in the dessert. BOTH are talking of wine and strong drink. Strong drink is SPECIFICALLY an alcoholic beverage that intoxicates - that can't be a word meaning something else. It's NEVER used as anything being NON-alcoholic - EVER. I think your reasoning is completely wrong.

9. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    According to Ariel Vineyards, their 'non-alcoholic' wine has been judged best tasting wine over several alcoholic wines.

The fact that the 'non-alcoholic' wine has less than half of one percent alcohol in it tells me that it is closest to being made in Biblical fashion. The scripture tells us that one would have to drink all day long before it would inflame them. Much less intoxicating than the wines and beers that are sold in most stores today.

10. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

11. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HUH? So the best wine is Ariel Vineyard's non-alcoholic so the 'best wine' in the Bible is non-alcoholic??

Where does it say in Scritpure that wine has less than a 1/2 % alcohol? Where does it say that one would have to drink all day long before it would inflame them?? I don't understand!

Ann

12. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now you admit that even non alcholic wine STILL has alcohol in it! I thought all alcohol was wrong...even .00001%?! I would like how they made this non alcholic wine in biblical times...absent the tools we have today.

13. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005

14. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

15. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

16. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's what they must have been carrying inside the Ark of the Covenant :laugh:

17. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Isaiah 5:11Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

One had to drink great quantities to get drunk in Bible times... not today.

18. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    They very well could have. It is quite evident they had to drink great amounts before the wine inflamed them.

19. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005

20. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To me, that sounds like an alcoholic - like some people I know. When they wake up, they start on the Bloody Marys - and work their way through lots of stuff throughout the day. They don't even seem drunk at all - until after dinner. Believe me - they're drinking WAY more than 1/2% alcohol yet are not inflamed until evening.