1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is faith a work?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kyredneck, Feb 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where and how is, "sin" acknowledged in CONVICTION?

Galatians 3:

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22 But
    the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterward be revealed.

24 Wherefore
    the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

Romans 7:

7 "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid.
    Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law:

for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."

HOLY SPIRIT WROUGHT CONVICTION of personal sin, through the Word of God, and The Gift of REPENTANCE and FAITH is The New Birth.

"Decisionism", Baptist Board
    Search Results for Query: decisionism

In applying The "Free Will" process of Duty Faith/ Easy "Believism"/ Decisionism, a dead soul just "gives their consent" to something, without acknowledgment of their sin, by CONVICTION of the Word of God, being Granted REPENTANCE from their sin debt against God, or Regenerated by the Holy Spirit?

Is this expressing that when a person "changes" from living in sin, they have raised THEMSELVES from the Biblically called, "dead", Spiritually?

@RighteousnessTemperance&

How do you think you "came to be a Christian?"

Can you share a testimony of salvation?

2. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    KYR, I enjoy reading your observations, interpretations, opinions as much as anyone’s (including my own :Wink) and feel you have done some considerable, worthwhile investigation into the scriptures. I very much liked RC Sproul (still do), even if I couldn’t adopt his Calvinism.

The faith I’m referring to is only at that initial confrontation where one becomes a believer. The ensuing transformation changes everything. While I don’t see that faith as a work at all, God credits Christ’s righteousness to us at that point. He even becomes our righteousness. See 1 Corinthians 1:30f.

“It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God: our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.’” (NIV)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I'm getting somewhere close to:

when I see:

Ephesians 2:12 "And you hath he quickened,
    who were dead in trespasses and sins;
    "

changed to:
    "And you hath he quickened,
    who were living dead in trespasses and sins;
    "

living dead

Physically, mentally, in the flesh, not Born Again, "not alive in Christ", as you said, I could "hear" and "communicate with God", if Jesus, Personally, came walking to me, "in the cool of the day"

That's Him, Jesus: "Then the man and his wife heard the sound
    of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day,"

However, we know He doesn't speak to us that way, today.

He uses The Bible and the Holy Spirit.

And I am going to say that we can not hear Him, in Salvation, until He first talks to us and gives the lost soul acknowledgment of their sin, by CONVICTION of the Word of God, being Granted REPENTANCE from their sin debt against God and Regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

No ability to "hear", that we "could well understand" when only physically, mentally, in the flesh, not Born Again, "not alive in Christ".

I what way. Living dead.

Question: Why is it that God has to initiate the "Quickening"?

Ephesians 2:12 "And you hath he quickened,
    who were dead in trespasses and sins;
    "

That is a good question, isn't it?

Does God have to initiate Quickening, (Making Alive), from their "living dead"?

I believe the answer is what you said, when you posted:

"Living dead" includes an addition and is clearly not the meaning of, "not alive in Christ".

I say they were, "not alive in Christ", because they were Spiritually dead, to Christ.

Then, we would have, "
    Ephesians 2:12 "And you hath he (Spiritually) quickened,
    who were (Spiritually) dead in trespasses and sins;
    "

I am going to go with the lost, physically, mentally, in the flesh, not Born Again, "not alive in Christ", being Spiritually dead, as the Bible Teaching.

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Address that to me in a new thread and I'll answer. But not here. It is too off topic.

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enough already. Though I said to take up the matter in another thread and I'd respond, I see it’s already too late for that.

That post is enough for me to ban you from further replies, except perhaps for some harsh rebukes, where necessary. Your non-sequiturs and missed points were bad enough. But you have now earned a most unenviable reputation.

Your post does what my posts most emphatically did not do, namely insert words into scripture itself and attribute that to mine.

Since you imply you saw it in reference to my post, that appears to make you a false witness of the most egregious sort. Looks like we’re done discussing.

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider that to be questioning my salvation, especially given the context, and am flagging it as such.

7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spiritual dead "faith" is a work and a lost soul has no "Free Will" that is not dead, also.

Free-Will dead faith or "belief" or a decision or commitment card or praying the sinners prayer, making Jesus your Lord and even "believe on the Lord", will still be a dead work, if the lost soul is not brought to acknowledgment of their sin, by CONVICTION of the Word of God, being Granted REPENTANCE from their sin debt against God and Regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

How do you think "church buildings" got unregenerate congregations, sometimes called "liberals"?

That is a concern to me.

The topic is, "is Faith a work?"

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without the Holy Spirit, we can’t work at faith… too many distractions… women, drink, drugs, gambling, careers, politics, cars etc. all leading to our ignoring the Lord. It’s God that does the work…. Cause if He didn’t do it then we wouldn’t and you can take that to da bank brother.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite the entrepreneur Elder Craig was indeed. What do you expect from the Welsh! The recipe ain’t scotch but it ain’t bad neither:Geek :Wink

11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not questioning your salvation.
    It's you responding because answering honestly may prove your free-will theory to be wrong. It may actually cause you to admit that it was God, 100%, who caused you to repent and believe.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, so, did you have a 'road to Damascus experience'?

Not so with me. I grew up going to church and from my earliest memories Jesus Christ has always been my hero. Oh, there's been many 'corrections' along the way, but I can't remember ever not being a believer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2

24 Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?
    25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I of myself with the mind, indeed, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Ro 7

#114 kyredneck, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you point to one other person, besides Jesus, who has perfectly done the law so as to be justified by keeping it perfectly?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that really what you mean? Yes or no?

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I come from its called the walk of faith!... Brother Glen:)

1 Corinthians 11: 1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I actually said was this:
    It's not questioning your salvation.
    It's you responding because answering honestly may prove your free-will theory to be wrong. It may actually cause you to admit that
    it was God, 100%, who caused you to repent and believe.

Yes, I really mean that it was God, 100%, who caused you to repent and believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @KenH
    Yakity yak, the bloviator bloviates.

Who said anything about 'perfectly' keeping the law? Does this sound like perfectly keeping the law?

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2

24 Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?
    25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I of myself with the mind, indeed, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Ro 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.