Liberal or not?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Reynolds, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only example we have is of a man serving.

2. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is the case - are there any examples of a woman receiving communion?

3. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about you, but for me if I have a man that could not teach his way out of a wet paper bag or a women that has the gift of teaching then I would rather learn from her than struggle with him.

Do you not think that God Holy Spirit knows what He is doing when He distributes the various gifts or do you think these are only for men as they might put a women in authority over men?

1Co 12:4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
    1Co 12:5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.
    1Co 12:6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
    1Co 12:7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
    1Co 12:8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
    1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
    1Co 12:10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
    1Co 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

I am sorry if your frail male ego is damaged by a women teaching or handing out the elements but I trust that God does know what He is doing and perhaps so should you.

4. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a negative example of people actually eating a meal, but being selfish and uncaring toward others.
    1 Corinthians 11:20-34
    When you come together, it is not the Lord’s supper that you eat. For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not. For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is foryou. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another— if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home—so that when you come together it will not be for judgment. About the other things I will give directions when I come.

There is no regulation stating that deacons must serve communion and that there must be plates of cut up bread and shot glass holders of grape juice to represent the blood of Jesus. All these things are traditions, mostly of pragmatism to keep an orderly church service.
    When Jesus served his disciples, it was likely a seder meal with matzo bread and a communal cup of wine.

5. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree on all of this.

6. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are putting man's thinking above Scripture. Scripture plainly prohibits a woman to teach or be in a position of authority over a man. If you perceive The Holy Spirit to be contradicting Scripture, you definitely need to examine your perceptions. You are confusing natural and Spiritual gifts. Some people are just naturally gifted to teach anything they teach. When they teach Scripture, that has nothing to do with The Holy Spirit. The Spirit NEVER contradicts The Word.

Nothing in the above passage supports the conclusion you are trying to make.

It has nothing to do with male ego. It has to do with the plain command of Scripture

I guess you also support women Pastors?
    Are you Pentecostal or Baptist? Between this view and your hyper Arminianism, I wonder.

7. FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with non-Deacons performing communion. The Deacons should include women.

8. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was asked to be a deacon at 23 years of age, I objected on the grounds that I was too young and not married.

9. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Holy Spirit is the one that gives the gifts who are to question it.
    1Co 12:8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;. Both of these gifts relate to teaching and note it does not say to males only. So why do you question what the Holy Spirit does?

"You are confusing natural and Spiritual gifts." That is a rather telling line, if it is a woman then it is natural gift but if it is a man then it is a Spiritual gift, have I got that right? In Christ Jesus we are all the same but when the Holy Spirit gives a gift then we are not all the same, got ya. Your double standard is showing. And I agree you should not question the Holy Spirit, so why do you?

If a woman was gifted to be a pastor so what. If she teaches from the bible and is true to the text then I have no problem with whomever God has called to preach. It is not the gender that I am concerned with but the message.

Bible believing Baptist and not hyper anything.

10. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHY? Based on what Scripture

11. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul would tend to disagree with you....
    11 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), 1 Ti 2:11–15.

12. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you tend to disagree with the Holy Spirit. God has made us all one in Christ Jesus and when the Holy Spirit gives gifts to any of us those gifts are to be used to build up the body. Who are you to tell the Holy Spirit who can are can not teach?

13. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does the Holy Spirit contradict himself then? Or do you not believe the Bible to be inspired? Because with what you just said you have to hold at least one of those positions.

14. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Tim 3:2 A bishop .must be...the husband of ONE WIFE...
    I Tim 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of ONE WIFE

If a woman has a wife - well, she has another problem......

15. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible is inspired and not just the parts that you like. The Holy Spirit gives gifts to all but you seem to think that some are only meant for men. Why do you not trust that the Holy Spirit actually knows what He is doing and whom He wants to fill various positions.

Quiet learning (1Ti_2:11).
    “Silence” is an unfortunate translation because it gives the impression that believing women were never to open their mouths in the assembly. This is the same word that is translated “peaceable” in 1Ti_2:2. Some of the women abused their newfound freedom in Christ and created disturbances in the services by interrupting. It is this problem that Paul addressed in this admonition. It appears that women were in danger of upsetting the church by trying to “enjoy” their freedom. Paul wrote a similar admonition to the church in Corinth (1Co_14:34), though this admonition may apply primarily to speaking in tongues. Wiersbe Bible Commentary

The Holy Spirit does not contradict Himself but you want to limit what He can do. I have no problem trusting what God wants to do but you on the other hand seem to.

16. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A little selective with Wiersbe aren't you? Here is the very next paragraphs:

Respecting authority (vv. 12–15). Women are permitted to teach. Older women should teach the younger women (Titus 2:3–4). Timothy was taught at home by his mother and grandmother (2 Tim. 1:5; 3:15). But in their teaching ministry, they must not “lord it over” men. There is nothing wrong with a godly woman instructing a man in private (Acts 18:24–28), but she must not assume authority in the church and try to take the place of a man. She should exercise “quietness” and help keep order in the church. Paul gave several arguments to back up this admonition that the Christian men in the church should be the spiritual leaders. The first is an argument from creation: Adam was formed first, and then Eve (1 Tim. 2:12–13). (Paul used this same argument in 1 Cor. 11:1–10.) We must keep in mind that priority does not mean superiority. Man and woman were both created by God and in God’s image. The issue is only authority: man was created first. The second argument has to do with man’s fall into sin. Satan deceived the woman into sinning (Gen. 3:1ff.; 2 Cor. 11:3); the man sinned with his eyes wide open. Because Adam rejected the God-given order, h....

17. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do Baptists.....just differently.

I think @Reynolds is speaking of what some call the Lord's Supper. In Baptist churches the Lord's Supper and Communion refer to the same observation. It is partaking of bread and wine (usually grape juice is substituted for wine) in rememberance of that last communion or supper Jesus had with His Disciples prior to the Cross.

Some Baptist churches practice open communion, others closed communion.

Open communion is a communion where all believers are invited to participate while closed communion typically refers to the participants being members of the particular church.

18. FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a great question. After doing some research I have to admit that's a custom I've shared with all the Baptist churches I've attended. I can't find anything in the Bible that requires that Communion be served by the Deacons. It must be administered by a Christion, of course, but that's it. Thanks for the enlightenment.

19. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Our church officially calls it $communion" and is referred to as such in the bilaws.

20. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So What?" I guess what you should ask if what do you do with the writings of Paul? You believe they are inspired? You believe the Holy Spirit is Bi-POLAR? You have some serious theologial issues to reconcile. You really think The Holy Spirit calls people to act in rebellion to The Word?