1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Murder in The Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would see God permitting this for Murder 1 cases, if there is absolute proof of their guilt!

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so, are you saying that if a state in the US, for example, which has a Christian Governor, and the death penalty is carried out for captial crimes, in accordance with the explicit Word of God, that the Governor is not "ordained" by the Lord as an authority to take this action? Your argument seems moot!

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not guilty of death penalty!

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    was not adultery punishable by death under the Law of Moses, as directed by the Lord Himself?

"You shall not commit adultery" (Exodus 20:14)

"If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death." (Leviticus 20:10)

“If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman. So you shall purge the evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:22)

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No longer under Mosaic law and penalty!

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are VERY WRONG!

ONLY the sacrificial part of the Law of Moses was nailed to the cross of Jesus, as He is the Lamb of God. Are you suggesting the all the Ten Commandments no longer apply to Christians? Very dangerous thinking!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we are still under Moral law of God, but NOT the death penalties for sin given to Israel by God!

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? that IS part of the MORAL LAW!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That part was just given to israel!

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    and your Bible support is?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under Grace, not law now!

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly governments acting according to biblical instruction can impose the death penalty for the willful taking of another's life.
    But, as in California, the death penalty can be reserved for crimes with "special circumstances" and not be applied in other cases.
    And so, I agree with Canadyjd, I voted against the death penalty (and as usual lost) because too many times it is the poor or black or feeble minded that get sentenced with the needle. Since we make mistakes in our pursuit of justice, erring on the side of mercy seems wise.

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    meaning what? brutal rape, murder, etc, should no longer be punished? I think that this "Under Grace" thing is a smokescreen! Are you and others who follow this thinking, suggesting that we do not punish anyone for crimes? So, by using one passage in the Bible, for example, John 7:53-8:11, where Jesus "forgives" (Grace) this woman, that all adultery should no longer be punished in our society? And murder should also simply be "forgiven"? We will then have a more lawless world!

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the US, Christians have a civic responsibility to serve on juries. Some Christians also serve in capacities as judges. Both could hear cases involving the death penalty.

The 1 Tim. 1:15-16 passage seems clear to me. As stated by someone else, we err on side of mercy. God doesn’t need to use Christians to implement the death penalty.

Personally, if on jury duty hearing a death penalty case, I would ask to be excused.

peace to you

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    injustices should not be what guides us. When the Bible is very clear on anything, as it is on murder, then as Christians we are obliged by the Lord to carry out His Just demands, or else we are guilty of ignoring the Word of God, because of some faults with society!

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since some murderers were granted mercy (David) to claim mercy is not allowed by scripture is twaddle.

17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said what I said. Feel free to "what if?" it to death.

I am saying that civil authority exists, though it is not perfect. The rod God uses one day may be broken and cast aside the next day. Like Assyria, for the obvious example.

18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can choose to do anything that He wants to, because He IS God. He has told us in His Word in both Testaments what the penalty is for crimes like murder, which the Bible verses in the OP affirm. Anyone who disregards or excuses this from misapplication of the Bible, will be held accountable by the Lord!

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is your personal opinion, the Bible very clearly says what it does, as shown in the texts in the OP.

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 1

15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

NOTHING here is against God's own punishment for murder. This passage is being misused to justify peoples private views which go against the Word of God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.