1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Murder in The Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, Isaiah 10:5-16 is my personal opinion. :rolleyes:

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The view I hold, as I have already said, acknowledges God has given the authority to impose the death penalty to governments. I don’t believe Christians should support it.

The passage from 1Tim gives a clear command that Christians are to follow as an example.

“I received mercy for this reason”..... What reason? “...That....Jesus Christ might display His perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in Him for eternal life.”

Jesus showed mercy to Paul (a murderer) as an example of demonstrating mercy to the worst of sinners that future Christians are commanded to follow.

peace to you

3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    this does not change what the Lord has instructed us Christians in His word. There is no Biblical argument that can be made that goes against the clear commands of the Lord, as per the passages in the OP. there is NO contradictions in the Bible, only misunderstandings and misapplications by users of the Word! End of.

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    only as "applied" by yourself and others who hold your view. The texts in the OP are very clear, which are for US Christians. My last word with you on this.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse clearly states it is an example of mercy given by Jesus for future Christians to follow.

It isn’t very hard to figure out how it is to be applied.

Thanks for the conversation

peace to you

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in the written word of God where God has rescinded His command as given in Genesis 9:6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is saying that there are contradictions? Quoting Scripture that you refuse to deal with is not the same thing as claiming the Bible has contradictions

8. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    indeed, and there are those who are trying to rewrite the Infallible Word of God!

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under the NC , would say that the death penalty for murder 1 can be enforced still, but that would be before the Mosaic Lee, so all other crimes mean jail time!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY crime that still has the death penalty!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True as that would be a Universal truth. before law even was given!

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so who changed the law for rape, kidnapping, etc, that also in the Law of God, carries the death penalty? It still stands in the Bible!

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
    Romans 12:19

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you and some others did not understand what I said in the OP? It is the Law as given by the Lord in His Word, that we have a responsibility to carry out. It is the Lord's Law, so He is The Avenger, even though we are carrying out His orders.

16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I think nobody has disputed that murder is a heinous crime that the civil authorities can properly punish. Go back and read my first post. I have no issue with the death penalty. I am not a pacifist.

But I believe as Christians, we are called to forgiveness. Look at the Amish School shooting. The forgiveness that community showed to the killer and his family honored God in a way much greater than demands of justice would have.

#56 Rob_BW, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Murder special case, before Mosaic Law!

18. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... and rape:

[Gen 34:2, 26-27 NASB] 2 When Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, the prince of the land, saw her, he took her and lay with her by force. ... 26 They killed Hamor and his son Shechem with the edge of the sword, and took Dinah from Shechem's house, and went forth. 27 Jacob's sons came upon the slain and looted the city, because they had defiled their sister.

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    if the Bible clearly says that the Just punishment as God demands for murder, is death, then why are we as Christians, who are meant to obey the Word of God, seek to do any different? God make the rules and not us. if the Lord says that we can simply forgive a murderer, and not punish them, then we do so. It is not an option that God has given us, it is very clear.

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    it looks like you don't know what you really believe! One minute you say that the Moral Law of Moses still stands today, which captial punishments are part of, then you say that anything before this Law was enforced, does not fall under this Law? It appears from what we know, that the Lord used incest to propagate the human race, this He did before there was any "Law". However, this is in the Moral Law that He gave Moses; are you suggesting that incest is ok because it first happened before the Law of Moses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.