1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nursing Mothers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oral sex is mentioned in SoS, too, but I don't want that going on among the congregation.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about some "hang ups" that many have in their baggage. :(

A mother nursing her baby is a part of life. I have no issue with such normal behavior.

To liken it to some "scatalogical" or "sexual" event gives it a dirty connotation that says more about YOU than about the mother breastfeeding.

If any more inference (like trying to link a nursing baby to oral sex - that is sick) shows up we will close the thread.

3. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Proper in church? Probably not as long as there are adolescent boys in attendance. Just my opinion.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If it so offends you look then other way and mind your own business. There's much greater things to be concerned about. At my church there aren't any little babies to be nursed. I pray that one day we will have nursing mothers, an over flowing nursery, and children banging on the walls. I'd love to have those "problems." If you are having a problem with nursing mothers in your church then send them to mine, we'd be glad to have them.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's a blessing for our church. Ten years ago we had very few children. Now childcare is something we have to plan carefully. We almost always have enough workers to handle things efficiently (thanks to responsible husbands pitching in to help), and women are respected for their tireless efforts to raise their children well.

sag38, if you continue to have that fine family-friendly attitude, I'm guessing the Lord will send children to bless your congregation as well.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Feeling is mutual Annsni - I just don't get this problem at all - maybe I am a weirdo :)

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I think the phrase "it says more about you than about the mother breastfeeding" is one of the best thoughts I have seen in a long, long time. Both of our kids were breast fed.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And I'll bet they turned out just fine, not psychologically scarred or anything! :laugh:

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are lots of distractions in church. People blowing their noses, chewing gum, kids coloring (even quietly), ladies unzipping their purses, etc. "Distractions" are all around us.

Distracting others, to me, is not the same as being immodest, if one is properly covered.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

When I was a younger teen I got in trouble for even breathing wrong but Ms. Elaine, well no one said anything to her about her clipping her fingernails during the middle of the sermon. Talk about distracting!!!

#50 sag38, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ewwwwww!!! Give me a nursing mother any day over that!!

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

They both turned out great. I got married at age 25 and my wife 24. The years passed, and we had no kids. I even got on an adoption list. Finally, when I was 32, here comes the first one. At 34, here comes the second one. My wife had to have a histo at the same time the last one was born, because of fibroid tumors. I took us off the adoption list at that point anyhow.

As far as the feeding, she did so. In fact, we were working two different shifts, and I fed them with her milk that she had pre-made in bottles. One is married and one not. As we close in on age 60, still no grandkids.

13. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Just curious, are you using Biblical wisdom here or your own? How does this mesh with what the Holy Spirit through Paul has taught? If we know an avoidable action causes another to lust, are we to stand on our rights? If so, is the person emphasizing their own liberty, over the concerns of sin (i.e. your example of lust) within the fellowship really not going to be held to account? Again, is this what the Scripture says?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are we to stop doing everything that causes someone to lust?

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spoke these things, a certain woman of the crowd lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which you have nursed.

:eek:

Oh my. She said it right there in public and to Jesus nonetheless.

I wonder if there were any nursing babies in this crowd.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#57 Don, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.

Me personally, a woman breast-feeding doesn't cause feelings of lust. And I can certainly tell which men are straining to get an eyeful, and say something to them about it. BUT--If we know something causes a problem, should we do it?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I haven't read all the posts here. But I can tell you what goes on in our church. Mothers with children typically sit near the back. There they can breastfeed their children being relatively unnoticed by the rest of the church. They also do it discreetly with a small blanket that covers that particular part of the body along with the head of the baby. Why would that offend anyone?

If the woman is deliberately showing off her breast because she has the chance to breastfeed, then shame on her! Some people are carnal enough to have an excuse to be immodest. I am sorry to have to say that, but that is the way it is. Modesty is key here.

Others want the chance to show off. They may deliberately sit near the front of the church in order to garner attention. That also is wrong.

There is a place for everything. It is not wrong if done discretely, not drawing attention to oneself. Sometimes the mother feels uncomfortable, and she ends up going to the nursery anyway. But in some churches that is not practical for all nursing mothers. However, if the infant is colicky and starts to fuss loudly, disturbing others, then the mother should take the baby out of the church and allow others to listen to the Word of God without disturbance.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know men who struggle with different things. Should I stop these things so as to not cause them to lust? One man I know has a hard time with lust regarding women with long hair. Up or down, covered or uncovered - he absolutely is turned on by long hair. It's a daily struggle for him. Shall I cut my hair short?

What about the man I know who is totally into feet? It doesn't matter if there are shoes on a woman or not - he still loves feet and has to work hard daily to not lust after feet. Shall I cut off my feet?

How about the woman I know who LOVES a man in a suit and she is turned on by men in suits. It's really an issue for her. Shall we skip suits? Oh - yes we should. ;)

See, there's a line. I seek to please God and do what else I can but there are some things that I just am not responsible for. Yes, I have breastfed my children everywhere I have been. Legally, a woman is allowed to breastfeed wherever she is. I was always discreet and would not have offended anyone because there was nothing to offend them with other than a baby under a lightweight blanket or my shirt. If they wish to lust after that, that's honestly not my problem. Maybe if they are exposed to it more, it will become just another thing in his life and no longer something that causes him to lust. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.