1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensacola Christian College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by cheerfreakus, Jul 13, 2003.

1. cheerfreakus

cheerfreakus New Member

I have started looking at colleges. I am looking at Pensacola Christian College in Florida. If anyone has gone there or knows anyone who attended that school it would be a big help if you could give me any information. It is very nice to hear what its like from people that have went to school there. I went down and visited the campus and i got a great feeling. So just wondering what people who attend or have attened that school thought.Thanks a bunch
    In Christ Name
    Ashley

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Friend, in my opinion there are some serious things you need to hear about PCC before you decide upon it. Give me a PM if you'd like more information.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

PM me as well and I can share my insights.

4. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

5. Code Red

Code Red New Member

My two brothers went there, They loved it..great college. Strong standards though. I am attending there '04.

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

PCC is a TR school as likewise as Heritage Baptist University in Indiana.

TR is Textus Receptus. :D [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a supporter of PCC. I am editing out my comments since they were unnecessary and could be hurtful.

[ July 16, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

PCC was the W/H college, but now PCC is the TR college. PTL! :D

9. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've seen in this thread, I guess I'm glad I didn't enroll at PCC in the early '90s. I thought about doing graduate studies there during the summer when i wasn't teaching school.

BTW, what is "W/H"???

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    W/H = Westcott/Hort (many modern versions)
    TR = Textus Receptus (KJV)

To put it simply, this is an in-house battle among various Christian groups over differences in Greek texts.

Rob

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Correct! Thank you! :D [​IMG]

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Ashley,

Have you checked out Cedarville College? See their website at Cedarville College Link. I am sure that Dr. Bob can fill you in on Cedarville better than I can. However, I understand that it is a very good Baptist College. Likewise, if you are a Southern Baptist you may want to consider attending one of the colleges attached to an SBC Seminary. I just completed my undergraduate degree at Southeastern College at Wake Forest (it shares the campus with Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary). I would not trade the experience and education that I received here for anything. See Southeastern's webiste at Southeastern College Link. I tend to be a bit cautious about PCC in the light of some of the theological positions that I have seen graduates from that school state on the Internet. :eek: If you are dead set on attending college in Florida you may be interested in Baptist College of Florist. See their website at Baptist College of Florida Link. I understand that it is a very fine school.

[ July 18, 2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: BibleboyII ]

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I just noticed that in the previous post I called the Baptist College of Florida the Baptist College of Florist! [​IMG] OOOOPS! Anyway, the 15 min edit rule has expired so I am correcting my post herein.

Hello Ashley,

Have you checked out Cedarville College? See their website at Cedarville College Link. I am sure that Dr. Bob can fill you in on Cedarville better than I can. However, I understand that it is a very good Baptist College. Likewise, if you are a Southern Baptist you may want to consider attending one of the colleges attached to an SBC Seminary. I just completed my undergraduate degree at Southeastern College at Wake Forest (it shares the campus with Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary). I would not trade the experience and education that I received here for anything. See Southeastern's webiste at Southeastern College Link. I tend to be a bit cautious about PCC in the light of some of the theological positions that I have seen graduates from that school state on the Internet. :eek: If you are dead set on attending college in Florida you may be interested in Baptist College of Florida. See their website at Baptist College of Florida Link. I understand that it is a very fine school.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

14. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Just to be "fair and balanced," it must be said that there are several alumni of PCC that are happy with their experience there. Maybe there are some that find that the amount of structure and regulation provide comfort for them somehow.

15. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

that is the same reason I have issues with Bob Jones University. they are too full of their rules and regulations for my taste. But academically they are both solid from what I have seen.

16. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ashley,

There will be detractors for every college, and there will be people who "know someone" who has a "horror story" about their experience in any college you choose. If the Lord directs you to PCC, you can confidently go knowing you will receive a quality Christian education. I don't like everything about PCC, but I'm sure they probably wouldn't like everything about me either. (I know I don't!)As for the rules, the only ones who have a problem are those who plan to break them.

17. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Exactly...you must make inquiries to determine if you can live within their boundries before you sign on.

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, PCC sounds like a place fit for budding legalists or a place for exasperated parents to send their rebellious children.

One of the most important maturing experiences that a student experiences when they go off to college come as they begin to exercise a measure of autonomous decision-making in their lives. While students often make mistakes, they usually learn quickly about the consequences of poor decision-making.

People do not learn responsibility (or faith) by having strict rules imposed on them from higher authorities. While a number of biblical rules (as distinguished from a number of extra-biblical rules in the PCC student handbook) are helpful for spiritual infants, the imposition of legalistic standards on maturing believers actually undermines faith.

19. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I visited PCC in 1991, one of their "rules" was that a female student could not come within 12 inches of a male student.

20. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Um, just a point of clarification - that is to prevent a guy from saving a girl's life who is drowning in water so she does not fall in love with him for the wrong reasons.