Pit Stop----the Saga continues

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by blackbird, Nov 1, 2007.

1. padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relax Dan. It's just the hypothermia talking.

2. blackbird Active Member

You need to take a road trip south!!!

To the beautiful land of Alabama---we hold dear to our hearts!!!

Alabama, Alabama

We will aie be true to thee

From the Southern shore where groweth

By the Sea an Orange tree

To the Northern shore where floweth

Deep and blue the Tennessee

Alabama, Alabama

We will aie be true to thee!!

Heavy rain here tonite!!! We need it--we've been under Level #3 Drought alert all Summer!!!!

3. Dan Todd Active Member

We took our daughters to Florida in 1972 - that's the only time we've been south of Washington DC - unfortunately the girls don't remember the trip - as they were inutero at the time.

We took the trip April - they weren't born until December!

I mention that on occasion - and they don't think it's funny!

The thing I remember about the trip - besides morning sickness - was the sun poisoning Jan suffered - and how big the bugs get!

I also remember white birds sitting on the hind quarters of skinny cows.

Oh yes - the orange blossem aroma - is one of God's most lovely creations!

I get to watch big boys - drive fast cars - around what's basically an oval - come Saturday night at 8:00 PM!

4. ccrobinson Active Member

Right on, Dan. :thumbs:

Now we can get down to the business of real racing now that this piddling little game called the Super Bowl is over.

5. blackbird Active Member

Jealous that Eli & Co. won, are we CC????

Also active in the game for the winning side

Former LSU Tiger standouts----Cory Webster and Kevin Faulk

6. blackbird Active Member

Update on house construction for Blackbird

Fenced in 1 1/2 acres --- Barbed wire---complete

Electric power to site ---- complete

Perculation tests----75% complete

Next two steps once Perc test is complete

1. Foundation work

2. Water well to be drilled

7. Dan Todd Active Member

Barbed wire??? :confused:

Who you tryin' to keep out????:rolleyes:

8. Gayla New Member

What's a perculation and why are you testing it?:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

9. menageriekeeper Active Member

A perc test gauges how fast the water drains off a piece of land. Can't put in a foundation until you ensure that the water doesn't just sit in the ground the foundation will be sitting on.

You building on a hill or down in a hollar, Blackbird?

Barbed wire keeps out trespassers! Most folks are smart enough to stay on the far side of a barbed wire fence. Those that ain't are up to no good. That's how the law sees it on my side of the state and I doubt Blackbird's side is any different. This mean that anyone dumb enough to cross that fence is a fair target for Blackbird's shotgun. :eek;

10. PastorSBC1303 Active Member

You might wanna stick to the house building there BB :laugh:....

Kevin Faulk plays for the Patriots

11. ccrobinson Active Member

Annoyed that the Bears weren't in the Super Bowl, but that wasn't my point anyway. The Super Bowl is such an overhyped thing and so big, but the bigger event (in my puny mind anyway) is the Daytona 500.

12. padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least New York has one thing to be proud of.... oh, that's right. The Giants play in New Jersey. Know why New Yorkers are always cranky? The light at the end of their tunnel is Newark.

...and the other 35 races that follow.

Hey, Bird. About that perc test. I did a perc test once. After I burned up my 30th Black and Decker coffee maker, I bought myself a Bunn. If you ever have a hankerin for a pot of coffee in 3 minutes or less - just stop by.

13. blackbird Active Member

My "Cajun" momma bought me a Bunn for a wedding present----lasted about 10 years and then the Bunn died!!! Just fell over dead!!!

To answer the many questions

A Perc test is kinda sorta a geological "ground" test for residential "cess pool" coverage!!! Residentials come equipped with what is called a Septic tank----discharge is released from the Septic tank into a "Fill Line"---which is an area filled with gravel that allows a slow release from the tank into the ground----the Perc test "times" the release of the water into the soil so that calculations can be made as to how wide, deep, and long the "Fill Line" needs to be

The Barbed wire fence??? Yes!!!! My wife's dad has cattle on the farm on which we are building---approximately 125 head of Beef cows---enough to keep 3 Brangus bulls busy!!! Cows are like dogs sometimes---in that they love to "congregate" where humans are---and I know that if the fence is not built---they will "herd up" underneath the carport/garage, near the back door, and outside underneath the bedroom window!!! So I had to build the fence---no offense to dogs---I just used them as examples of what cows are like on a larger scale!!!!

Why not chain link fence??? 1) Too flimsy!!! The cows will knock it down on cold days looking to get underneath the carport to knock the North wind off of their backs!!! 2) Barbed wire has these little pointed needle looking metal thing-a-ma-jigs that serve as reminders to the cows----"This far--and no farther!!!"

And we're building on a hill---instead of a holler!!! The way the house is situated---we can see whos coming up the drive---from a mile away!!!!

14. Dan Todd Active Member

Blackbird - Are you going to add a little electricity to that barbed wire?

Think fertilizer - you could grow a "whale" of a garden - with all the fertilizer from 125 head of cattle!:thumbs:

PS - ain't you goin' to be a little too close to the in-laws?

15. blackbird Active Member

1. I have one of those Solar powered fence chargers-----runs off a rechargable battery----When you touch it---it'll "spark" ya!!!!! Just don't touch it when the switch is on---its got a little indicator light on the charger box that blinks when its on.

2. Yes---cow dung is a terrific grower of garden stuff---makes for better photosynthesis and all of those other Biology terms. Trouble is---we don't shut the cows up---even in the Winter---and they roam over 150 acres--thats a lot of fertilizer spred out that would have to be gathered in!!!! Easier to go to the garden supply store and buy a couple bags of Triple 13!!!

3. I never thought about that until it was too late!!! Its too late!!! We have a quarter mile drive from the house to the road---then its another 2 miles to the in-laws once you're on the main road

16. ccrobinson Active Member

2.25 miles to the in-laws?! :eek:

Need to move that decimal a couple of places to the right to get the minimum distance I want to be from my in-laws.

Since you're so close to yours, I'll be praying for you, Bro. Blackbird. :praying:

17. padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to go to rehab and eat ice cream!!!!

Oops, wrong thread.... hey, that one's closed?!

CCR sayz, " 2.25 miles to the in-laws?! Need to move that decimal a couple of places to the right to get the minimum distance I want to be from my in-laws."

CCR, even if you move the decimal all the way to the right you're still too close! My MIL lives 325 miles away which was fine until my stupid brother-out-law bought her a cell phone with unlimited minutes. That woman yammers so much my answering machine has started to hang up on her. She got a sore throat and couldn't talk last month. We sent the doctor money not to treat her.

18. blackbird Active Member

Yes!! I appreciate the prayers, CC----covet them, in fact

My Mother in Law has two basic uses for her broom

One is to sweep

The other---------------well-------suffice to say----does October 31 mean anything to anyone!!! Candy----costumes!!!!??? And someone riding a broom---------siluated by a Fall Full Moon!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

And speaking of Halloween----------April 15 is creeping up on us

I've started filling my return tonite----------and does anyone know where the box is that says

Would you like for $1.00 to be donated toward the Presidential Election fund???--------Blackbird can't find the box to check NO!!!!

19. Dan Todd Active Member

You should be grateful that you don't live in the snowy north - you'd want a pickup with a plow blade or a big snowblower or about 20 energetic children to keep that driveway open in bad weather!:laugh: :laugh:

20. padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get the pickup!! Mash the gas and listen to the radio. You have to feed 20 children. Snowblowers are pretty good until you locate that 50 foot extension cord leftover from Christmas decorating.