Spiritual Interpretation....pt4

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Apr 25, 2017.

1. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you not think context is important? Or is it important only when YOU are denigrating other's proof texts?

Do you not think the continuity of the metaphor is important? If it doesn't mean wrath/anger, what is it signifying in your spin of the text?

2. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <------------> Disregard. Was texting my neighbor on the BB!

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It states that it will happen at his appearance, so that would be the Second Coming, and israel will have rebuilt the temple before that happens!

4. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church has always faced hard times since Acts, but the Great Tribulation will be world wide, as wrath of God poured out!

5. Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder where @Yeshua1 gets his comments from? If they were from Scripture, he would tell us.

6. Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In previous threads I have tried to introduce the subject of Gabriel's seventy weeks. Daniel 9.

This I understand to be readily taken literally as referring to the saving work of Jesus, his confirmation of the covenant, & the destruction of Jerusalem & the temple.

70 weeks or 490 years would be expected to end soon after Jesus' saving ministry. Why do dispensationalists claiming "literal interpretation" separate the 70th week from the 69 by 2,000 years?

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt that EVERY word posted here all the time by anyone is just from the scriptures!

8. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where does it say this?

9. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Slain at His appearing...

10. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are the main culprit.....you just make things up....1pet.3:15
    Does it say appearing, or coming?

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same thing!

12. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think this is so; not for this Amil, anyway! :)
    The Scriptures teach both that the Gospel will be preached all over the world and that people of every tribe, tongue and nation will be saved, but also that there will be terrible times in the Last days with persecution rising, and the love of the greater number will growing cold etc.

Is this not exactly what we see today, and have seen all through history? That the Gospel is moving in great power in various lands, but in others, dreadful persecution of Christians and a falling away in many places. Why should we be surprised or discouraged? The sovereign God who cleared all the missionaries out of China and then brought amazing revival may yet do something even greater in Europe or the Middle East before the end.

Are we all praying regularly for God to bring revival to our land?

13. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    17th century Keach uses quite different terminology from what we use nowadays, so I don't think of him as being much help. But to each his own.

Let me ask this again. Did Keach tell you the purpose of figures of speech? If you don't know why the figures of speech are in Scripture, you can't interpret them correctly.

Did Keach tell you the various words used for figures of speech in the New Testament?

14. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be honest, I don't have any of Chilton's books, but I am repelled by him for the following reasons:

1. His M.Div. and Ph.D. are from Whitefield Theological Seminary, which certainly looks like an Internet degree mill. For crying out loud, there are not even any faculty members listed in the catalog--apparently one guy runs the whole thing. How can I trust Chilton if he is dishonest in his education? I would happily be proven wrong about this, but having spent a huge effort and much money to get my degrees, I don't have much patience with degree mills.
    2. If Chilton wrote the publisher's blurb, it shows grave misunderstanding of not only dispensational theology, but any premil position. It's very insulting to my theology.
    3. He was involved in the Dominion movement, which is filled with problematic actions and teachings.

Besides, I would much rather learn what you think and know than Keatch or Chilton. Do original Bible study. You are capable of that. That's how I came to my own positions: hundreds of hours of personal Bible study.

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank that BOTh Amils/pre Mils see that the world is getting worse until the Second Coming events, while post mils see us ushering in the Golden Age to give to Jesus at His coming!

16. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Reconstructionist Movement is very dangerous, as it blends together with Domenion theology!

17. Calv1 Active Member

Good topic, about time:) Literalist; "Satan get behind me", "See, Jesus called Peter Satan so I believe every word, so Peter is Satan", lack of Hermaneutics and good exegesis is what brings out all of these crazy cults and theories.

SCRIPTURE IS LITERATURE, and is to be treated that way, was it a literal Rooster that crowed, or did they in the first century have a man who'd come down, yell out "Hear oh Israel your sacrifice is here", which was called "The Rooster" or "The Cock Crow"

Good topic!

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold to taking the literal meaning, but I would not call jesus a literal door, or Lamb!

19. Calv1 Active Member

Yes there is, from Olivet Discourse, the verse Atheists SUCCESSFULLY USE against naive Christians, "ALL OF THESE THINGS WILL HAPPEN BEFORE THIS GENERATION PASSES AWAY", a Jewish Generation was 40 years, AND CHRIST WAS RIGHT, but what of modern interpretation? Well "Coming in the Clouds" is NOT A GOOD THING, happened twice in the OT, once the destruction of Egypt, once of Israel to the Babylonians, so when Jesus, under arrest said "Soon hereafter you shall see the Son of Man COMING IN THE CLOUDS", the Chief Priest tore his clothes, see HE KNEW WHAT JESUS MEANT, Jesus said "I, the Son of Man, am coming in Judgement to you", which He did in 70AD, and while I haven't read everything this fellow has wrote, yes the majority of Revelation occurred up and unto 70AD, which is the historical view, it wasn't until mid-1800's when a literal nut case "We are the only true Church", condemned by Spurgeon and anyone with a brain, INVENTED Dispensationalism, Scofield somehow kept it, then with "Late Great Planet Earth" it became the new norm.

There is no AntiChrist coming, AntiChrist is used 3 times in the epistles of John, it refers to anyone who denies Jesus came, anyone who denies He came in the flesh, or rejects Christ, the term "Anti-Christ" is not found in book of Revelation, same author John, but Beast is, number of the beast, 666 or 616, there is debate on this variant, but 666 is the name Ceasar Nero, trust me the Churches in the first century KNEW who John was talking about.

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Angels in Acts told us that the same jesus will be returning same way he left, and all eyes shall see Him, and the dead in him will arise, and those alive be glorified, was all that AD 70?