1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas judge under fire over discipline video

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If someone is determined to be a fool, there is nothing you can do to help them as long as they think they have all the answers.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This will probably get lost here on the 8th or 9th page, but oh, well.

Freeatlast, I've read this thread and found at least three times where you refer to "spare the rod spoil the child" as God's Word.

You are not choosing nor quoting nor defending the Word of God.

You are quoting and defending a phrase from a 17th century epic poem by Samuel Butler. And he isn't promoting discipline of children with that phrase. He is discussing sexuality.

If one is going to defend spanking from a Biblical standpoint, and I believe that one can, then one should use the Bible to do so.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

ann twisting what someone says is no less a lie and I have noticed in your liberal walk you seem to have no problem with lying about people.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You need to read your bible.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cite for me the chapter and verse where you can find the phrase in question and I will read it. :flower::flower:

I'm not picking at you, FAL. I'm only suggesting that you use actual scripture references to defend scriptural assertions.

No one is immune from misquoting or mis-attributing scriptures from time to time.

We should ALL read our Bibles more.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I was using scripture although As you know translations vary and saying it the way I said it is accurate to the meaning even if it is not exactly like the translation you use. If I say Jesus cried it is no different then saying Jesus wept. The same with this passage.

Proverbs 13:24
    New International Version (NIV)
    24 Whoever spares the rod hates (spoils) added for clarification) their children,
    but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them. ,

22:15,
    15 Folly is bound up in the heart of a child,
    but the rod of discipline will drive it far away.

23:13,14,
    13 Do not withhold discipline from a child;
    if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.
    14 Punish them with the rod
    and save them from death.

#86 freeatlast, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I suppose if you see a Wiccan, you will kill them, since the Bible says you should not allow a witch to live. I suppose you also kill adulterers as proscribed?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Unlike you there is nothing in God's law for man that I see God giving being evil.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your own words betray you. And show me one time on this board where I lied. Otherwise, you are guilty of what you accuse me of.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your post #79 is an outright lie.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you mean that all the posts I quoted in post #79 were lies? You stated clearly - everyone can read it for themselves - that you feel the mother needed a beating as well as the daughter. That says that you would beat your wife had she been like that mother. Am I wrong?

Additionally, you have accused me of lying elsewhere and I've asked you to show me where. If you cannot produce the evidence, you are lying yourself.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you changed "Whoever spares the rod hates their children" to "spare the rod and spoil the child" for clarification's sake? What exactly needed clarifying?

In my mind - changing the word "hates" to "spoils" only muddies the interpretation as those two words do not mean the same thing.

The Bible in saying "hates" their child is exposing the underlying problem in a parent's heart who will not discipline his own children. It exposes the parent's sin. And "hates" their child is the converse of the REST of the verse which teaches the proper parental role which is to love your children by showing them the Godly way to live and disciplining them.

You, by changing it to "spoils" the child, implies a consequence that the child bears. You switched the focus from the parent to the child. And a "spoiled child" cannot be the converse of a "loving parent" and cannot fit the rest of the verse.

Lastly, the word "spoil" in the Bible can be found many times and it's referring to "plunder or booty" from wartime - not a defiant child.

You did not paraphrase a "Jesus wept" into a "Jesus cried". You changed the meaning and intent of the verse.

And you did this by unintentionally citing a non-existent passage of scripture and now trying to pidgeon-hole that secular piece of bawdy poetry into the Word of God and forcing a square peg into a round hole.

I used to go around quoting "spare the rod and spoil the child" as holy scripture, myself, FAL. And I was wrong.

We've all done it.

But neither the words "spoil the child" nor your implication of those words are in the Bible.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If I did change the intent of the verse by using spoil instead of hate I certainly repent of it. However I personally see no difference. If a parent is guilty of hating their child because they have not levied the proper discipline then they also are spoiling them (ruining them) and the guilt is still on the parent for their lack of proper action while the result is on the child. That is the point intended. However for the sake of accuracy and to not cause confusion I will seek to use the word "hate" in the future or some other phrase from another translation. Thank you for the correction.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your lie was your adding to what I said in your assessment statement. Why are you now trying so hard to wiggle out of your lie? You always do that. You tell a lie on someone and then seek to put the lie off by twisting things around. Just admit that you lied and be done with it as lying is not limited to you alone, we all have done it at some point.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I posted your own words - words you hang yourself with. I do not try to wiggle out of anything.

Show me one other thread where I "always do that". I dare you.

I did not lie. I posted your own words. Unless those words were lies, you said what you said.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It was not my words that were lies. It was yours that was a lie. You sure are wiggling now like a night crawler.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So no proof, huh?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You already showed in in post #79
    Here is your lie you old wiggly worm, you;
    "Yes - you answered the question that yes, you would beat your wife because you say that this woman needs a beating over and over again."

That was a lie as I never suggested or stated that. In fact I never suggested or stated a that any wife should be beaten by their husband. You lied clear and simple.

#98 freeatlast, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you are saying that you would not beat your wife? That contradicts the statements in your posts. Unless you mean that you wouldn't beat your wife but if she was not your wife you would beat her? Or maybe you mean that you don't want to be accused of beating a woman but you will stand and cheer when another man beats a woman? Which is it? Because your words stand accusing you very badly.

Now I challenge you again:

You have stated that I have lied before. Prove it. If not, you are very much a liar.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I just proved you lied here in post 79 in clear print for all to see and still you deny it so why would to accept your lies from other posts? Ann you lied! Admit it.

#100 freeatlast, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.