1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The connection between: Loving Jesus—Obedience—Eternal Life

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Samuels, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not hating anyone, You attack my character because you have no substance on the content we debate.

2. utilyan

Site Supporter

Easy to refute. I'm going to let you interpret this, cause only an idiot could interpret it anyways otherwise.

1 Corinthians 10
    13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More with this hateful attitude

4. utilyan

Site Supporter

The book of James is why so many hate the bible.

It targets the theme we are covering. Its no surprise why Martin Luther hated this book.

A BAPTIST didn't write James and sure the heck wasn't a Calvinist Baptist. They would lose their job in a heartbeat.

James 1

12Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. 14But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.

^God doesn't tempt anyone.

James 1
    2Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Endurance is required.

James 1

22But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. 23For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

^if you ever said anything close to that I would eat my own shoe!

Everyone knows BAPTISTS don't say these things.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting but I led my ladies through a VERY thorough study of James and I'm sorry to tell you that we said each and every one of these things that James is speaking of. Of course, it does not read as "if you do this, you will earn eternal life". No, sorry. That is not at all what any of these verses are speaking of. If you'd like, I can send you the study us ladies did. It was very good and faithful to the whole counsel of Scripture.

6. utilyan

Site Supporter

If you could send me your study for:

James 1

22But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. 23For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

That would be interesting. Like explaining a hearer of the law who delude themselves and not a doer.
    Or what does a unsaved "forgetter" forget? If he never had it and could never get it in the first place.

Maybe give me your study for Next page

James 2

26For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

Body = Faith

Spirit = Works

If you stack some dead bodies the spirit comes afterwards right?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh that's easy but I will give you the notes and podcast at the end. Have you ever spoken to someone of the Gospel? Have you ever shown them who they really are in light of God's holiness? What has been the result? In some people, there becomes a heart change and they become a child of God, receiving faith from God for their salvation. But others see, agree with you and turn and walk away, forgetting that they are sinful in the light of a holy God and later tell you that they are fine in God's eyes and they don't need to follow that religion stuff because they are better than the next guy and they are all good. What are the evidences that we have in these two as to the state of their souls? Their behavior, actions and beliefs. It is not their behavior, action and beliefs that save but those are the results of their salvation .

HUH? I dont' understand your question.

What is a person who thinks they are saved but does not obey God, doesn't care about His law and ignores His Word? A person who is delusional and unsaved. If this person started taking care of the homeless and building homes for those in need and giving up all he owns for those who need it more, is he suddenly saved? No. He has no faith. Faith is the life giving key. It is faith - the gift of God - that brings life, not works. But when Christ changes a heart, we see a life change. What do we see in the lives of the apostles? Life changes. What do we see in the life of the believer? Life changes. Just as breathing is the result of life in the body, so does works show us that there is faith life in the body.

Here is the study we did. I can highly recommend it and would suggest you listen to the teaching as well. VERY good stuff:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz9B5nB_gRN8bmNERmVGUDEwNTQ/edit

http://jenwilkin.podbean.com/category/james/

Oh and note that this Bible study is done by Jen Wilkin - a member of a Baptist church. ;)

8. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Everywhere I go, there are some who hate my message and hate me!

Paul said, "Why do you hate me for telling you the truth?"

"There is nothing new under the sun." (Solomon).

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who has hated you and your message here? And what exactly is your message?

10. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not judging or any such thing ... just sayin' ...
    It depends on how you interpret "the whole counsel of Scripture".

Was it done with absolutely NO previous biases, etc.?

Would you agree that this is critically important (or not so)?

11. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I probably missed this part in your deliberations ...

James 1:
    14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
    15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin;
    and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
    16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

To summarize the above, which is the same olde story: Sin results in eternal death.

But, my favorite still remains ...
    Romans 6:
    16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
    you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether
    (slaves) of sin leading to death, or
    (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?

Romans 6 teaches us: obedience > righteousness > holiness > eternal life.
    So much for the righteous standing before God that your pastor says you have!

Warning:
    Please keep in mind that Paul majors in presenting his dire warnings ...
    with a hearty mixture of copious amounts of edifications, exhortations, encouragements, etc.
    They are mucho more palatable this way!

#91 Samuels, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you a Jesse Morrell follower too?

13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Luther was a Baptist, was he?
    Baptists preach on James as often as they preach on anything else. It's a small book in a big Bible, but it entirely endorses Reformed Baptist theology. Of course it does. James was a Baptist. :)

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If my "good moral character" results in salvation then Christ died in vain. Do we live Holy After we are saved? Absolutely, CHRIST LIVES IN ME and THROUGH ME. Am i Mature and Perfect in conduct and attitude? Nope. Am i striving to Be? yes. Because that is the new nature within me.

Are toddlers ready for full time jobs and raising their own families? Do infants feed themselves and make their own omlets? Do 5 year olds master the art of conflict resolution? No, they must mature and learn to grow up.

Same thing for Christians, man. We must mature and become who God wants us to be in Christ. The maturation process for a believer takes time. With that being said, it is God who Works in you to will and to do of His good pleasure. NO boasting even if you are doing what you are called to do.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated that He will NONE that He ever saves, do you agree with Him then?

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James and paul taught same thing, as did Calvin, as ALL agreed that a real saving faith evidenced by good works. Byproducy of salvation, NOT cause of it!

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonderful! :Rolleyes How about the rest of the post?
    Just to remind you of the verse you are responding to: 'For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you"' (Heb. 13:5). The promise is God's to Joshua (Deuteronomy 31:8; Joshua 1:5). So you are saying that the verse really means, "I may very well leave you or forsake you." Is that your interpretation?
    So do you believe therefore that the indwelling of the Spirit is in fact totally ineffective?
    Amen! But God says, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep my judgements and do them" (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and also
    '"But this is the covenant that I will make with them after those days," says the Lord: "I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them." Then He adds, "Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more"' (Hebrews 10:16-17).

Now, how about responding to the rest of my post?[/QUOTE]

18. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, of course ... I always agree with Jesus.
    (E.G. He says those who LOVE Him will OBEY Him.
    IMO, no one gets into heaven who does not love Jesus!)

Re: your question:
    It depends on who really is saved ... who Jesus knows will be saved.
    He has informed us that BOTH wheat and tares(weeds) live together
    in that wonderful place called the Kingdom of God(heaven).
    He asks us to NOT uproot the weeds because ...
    His angels will do so at the end of the age, and cast them into the fire!

19. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, of course ... as 1 John says:
    Those who actually practice righteousness are actually righteous!
    (In God's eyes ... not in yours, or in mine.)

This is one proof that a person is correctly proceeding down
    that narrow road of salvation ... Yes, salvation is a process!

E.G. 10 NT verses warn that we must ENDURE in our faith
    until the end of our lives ... to be given eternal life.

20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honest question here, have you ever thought that what you believe about salvation might be wrong? And the person or denomination that taught it to you might be wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.