The rapture

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I am A-Mil, as in I don't think the 1,000 years of Rev 21 is to be taken literally. I just also believe that most of the "End Times" prophecies have been fulfilled.

2. xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the Jews that will flee when the Antichrist falsely shows himself as god and the persecution begins.

3. xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Antichrist is not going to rule from:

Rome
    Brussels
    London
    New York
    Washington
    Ankara
    Cairo
    Tehran
    Mecca
    Beijing
    Moscow

He shall rule from JERUSALEM

If folks could stop looking everywhere but where the scriptures identifies, they might finally get on the right track.

4. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because that was a different event. it was part of the "days of vengeance" against that generation of Jews.

Only in some people's imaginations.

Obviously, preterism was invented by men & is false.

JESUS HIMSELF proves the standard partial pret myth false:
    Matt. 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Obviouslt, those events haven't yet happened, so if the trib has already occurred, Jesus is long-overdue.

Also, notice He said "all the tribes of the EARTH", not just the tribes of Israel. That's in keeping with His later statement in Rev that every eye will see His return.

See how easy it is to prove the preterism myth false? You're smart; you should see the falsehood in it with the same ease I do. I have three encyclopediae in fronta me, & not one of them has any account of any of the eschatological events in it.

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is main difference between partial Preterism and A Mil then?

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greta Tribulation was NOT AD 70 and Israel, as far as I know, not a worldwide event!

7. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haw! What a typo; Greta was my mom's name ! She woulda thought it hilarious!

8. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus prophesied "days of vengeance " against THAT generation of Jews, holding them responsible for ALL the murders of righteous people, from Abel up to that time. The Romanj siege of J was part of that. And it certainly wasn't worldwide, nor the greatest worldwide calamity ever. Nor was it cut short; the Romans sacked J & went home in triumph, erecting an arch to Titus, which stands to this day.

9. Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Is "eternal life" to be taken literally?

10. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the contrary, the "days of vengeance" is the exact same event; this is the time frame for the entire Olivet Discourse. That is why Christians could escape by fleeing to the mountains.

To the contrary, the tribulation of those days ended in AD 70. The "cosmic language" (darkened sun, moon, falling stars) is prophetic (figurative) language. Heavenly bodies often symbolize earthly rulers and governments. See Ezekiel 5:9 and Isaiah 13:9-10 for examples of this type of prophetic language.

To discuss Rev. 1:7, "All the tribes of the Earth" is properly translated as "all the tribes of the Land" (of Israel). The will "see" could also mean "to comprehend or understand". Also, note that the "tribes" will see Him - Israel has tribes, but not the whole world. Finally, the phrase "even those who pierced Him" does not refer to a distant future generation, but could only refer to 1st Century Israel, who had Christ crucified. Incidentally, in verse 9, John refers to himself as a "fellow partaker in the tribulation". This makes it clear the tribulation was in his day, not our future.

If it was that easy to "prove" preterism to be false, why has it remained such a popular view for centuries? I do not look in encyclopedia for fulfilled prophesies, but history. It's our job to recognize when history is a fulfillment of Biblical prophecy. I really do recognize that you are a very learned man, and I know you have given your views a great deal of study and prayer. We clearly will not agree when it comes to the "end times" or the rapture. All the best to you, good sir.

11. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Disclaimer - I am no theologian:( As I understand them, an "amillennialist" is one who does not believe the millennium of Rev 21 to be a literal 1,000 years. Partial Preterists believe that most prophesies in the Bible (especially regarding the "end times" were fulfilled with the AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem. Many (most?) Partial Preterists hold the "amillennial" view, but not everyone who holds the A-Mil view believes in any form of Preterism. Clear as mud???

12. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Why do you ask? I'm not sure I see any co-relation between this and my view of eschatology.

13. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think RC Sproul moved to that view before his death....

14. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are correct. Sproul wrote "The Last Days According to Jesus", where he discusses the Partial Preterist view. I highly recommend this, and could easily name several more.

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to see the Prophets though in a more literal fashion, and that the Messianic Age has not yet arrived, as that will be like Paradise restored!

16. Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because that's a major part of eschatology-- the result thereof, or the final part, as far as we know. But if some parts are not literal, any may not be.

17. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By "Messianic Age", I take it you mean the reign of Christ. That being the case, Paradise would be restored indeed.

18. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christians believe in a literal eternal life. Many Christians do not believe in a literal millennium. I don't see any problems or conflicts. A lot of Revelation is written in symbolic language. For that matter, a lot of prophecies in general use symbolic language.

19. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it isn't. First, there were some 8 months between the Roman sieges, while Jesus urged a speedy escape from the coming event. And we see His prophecy about the days of vengeance was directed mainly against the Jews in Jerusalem, although almost all Jews in the empire were affected at least some.

Oh, REALLY? Then, WHERE'S JESUS?????
    Remember, He said He'd return IMMEDIATELY after the trib ended!

Typical pret tactic. having NO evidence to support their assertions, prets often reduce Scripture to "figurative/symbolic" status while having no license nor valid reason to do so, and/or make up new meanings for certain Scriptures. That hippo won't fly!
    (Cont. next post, for brevity)

20. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Cont. from post # 59)
    Lodic:
    Your prob-JESUS DID NOT RETURN THEN! And those who pierced Him are long-dead. But they will see His return from hades, as will the whole living population of the earth. If man-made satellite TV can show the Super Bowl to the whole world as it happens, how much more can JESUS do to cause all to see His return, alive or dead, from anywhere?

That's not the GREAT trib. There's tribulation all over the world right now, including the pandemic. But the GREAT trib will be the worst set of catastrophes to heve ever, or will ever, hit the whole world. SO SAID JESUS! I believe HIM over any of those pret quax. Remember, Jesus said that if the trib wasn't cut short, NO FLESH (sark, man or animal flesh) would survive. There have been MUCH-GREATER tribs than thew destruction of J & the temple; for example, WW2.

Because of people's ignorance, just as there are over a billion Moslems, & 2 billion members of other false religions. People just don't take time to study history, instead, just taking some quack demagogue's word for it.

Encyclopediae ARE history boox! But they're not my only source of knowledge of history. For instance, I learned much from the late Dr. Thomas Cassidy, who was an administrator here. And the prophesied eschatological events simply HAVEN'T HAPPENED YET! With all due respect, Sir, you can't show me any differently. I have carefully read Jewish, Roman, & 3rd-party accounts of the siege & destruction of Jerusalem, & the plagues of the great trib simply didn't happen then!

You seem to be an erudite person yourself; that's why I can't figure out how you can believe something so obviously false & phony as the pret schtick. It's all man-made & false. Scripture says the events WILL happen, & I 110% believe they will. But they simply haven't happened yet.

If they have, please tell us who the antichrist was. Please tell us who his sidekick, the false prophet was. Please tell us when the sun scorched men with fire, such as from a solar flare, etc. Please tell us when Jerusalem was split into 3 parts by an earthquake since Jesus was here. plwase tell us when every mountain & island was moved from its place. And that's just a short list of "Please tell us...".

And, back to the theme of this thread, the raprure hasn't yet occurred, but it will when it's about time for the antichrist to implement the marka the beast.

But, most of all, if you're a partial pret, please tell us WHEN JESUS RETURNED & WAS SEEN BY ALL, as He said He'd be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!