Where Does Faith Come From?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Jun 29, 2019.

1. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    idiot
    noun
    id·i·ot | \ ˈi-dē-ət \

Definition of idiot

1 : a foolish or stupid person

2 dated, now offensive : a person affected with extreme mental retardation

Untrue. The word has a legitimate meaning.

However, it is speaks volumes that you choose to be offended on behalf of another, yet care nothing about the facts of what was actually said or what is true.

Have you thought about a career as a Social Justice Warrior?
    You seem to have the temperament for it.

2. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    tu quoque
    You avoided having to engage with criticism by turning it back on the accuser - you answered criticism with criticism.
    Pronounced too-kwo-kwee. Literally translating as 'you too' this fallacy is also known as the appeal to hypocrisy. It is commonly employed as an effective red herring because it takes the heat off someone having to defend their argument, and instead shifts the focus back on to the person making the criticism.

Your logical fallacy is tu quoque

3. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back home we just called it "tit for tat".

You treat me with respect and I treat you with respect.
    You treat me dismissively and I respond in kind.

[Proverbs 18:17] "The first to plead his case seems right, Until another comes and examines him."

• (you made it clear that you had no interest in hearing more than one side)

4. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    16 And when even was come, they brought unto him many possessed with demons: and he cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all that were sick: Mt 8

5. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I saw both sides. It matters not. Even if every accusation you leveled was absolutely correct, your description of him as an idiot is unnecessary, uncalled for, and ungodly. In other words morally wrong.

6. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello RM,
    First I want to thank you for being honest enough to stick to your view and post it publically.
    We differ substantially and that is no secret to anyone.I did however appreciate you not trying to twist my words, or change yours just for the sake of trying to distort what was said as certain others have done.Thank you.
    Now as far as my view of the scriptures, I believe they are the greatest gift God has given to mankind.
    I understand the ideas you and others have offered but find them seriously defective to a point that would affect any presentation of the gospel.

When you and others speak of the word of God alone being sufficient in and of itself it is not true. The word of God is perfect yes, but it does not save everyone all by itself.
    The position I and every real Calvinist offer is that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation, as God the Holy Spirit does his hidden unseen work as Jesus describes in John3:3-12.
    Without that work no one is saved, not one.

In what I see as a partial reply you mentioned that men have everything they need, both Adam and us.
    When asked about the "fall"...
    You spoke of it as interference???
    I enquired about this as it gets to in large part the core of our disagreement.
    You did not clarify this, perhaps another thread or two will help. Thanks again for your honesty which not all display on here.

7. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for this post helping clarify the issue SG.

8. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody else?

9. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When you have sent your pm's there is no reply button. So your posts accusing me of things that are not so cannot get a reply.
    I am speaking to you as a poster, not as a moderator.
    In fact in.light of your activities it is better to speak out in the open as I have no secrets here.
    While anyone can post anywhere on the forum,I believe it is in everyone's best interest if you ignore my posts and me personally.
    You have a habit of going off topic and making me the topic of several threads.
    That you are listed as a moderator complicates things.
    As A poster I can deal with anything you offer.
    Salty, Rsr, and Squire do not do this to me or anyone else.
    They like, or dislike or ignore my posts let anyone else is free to do.
    I do not think as a poster you understand my posts correctly as you have a jaundiced eye when you "follow" my posts.
    I have asked you several times to not do this but you cannot help yourself.
    As a poster you have recently claimed to be a "Calvinist".
    Well anyone can Claim to be anything I suppose these days.
    I do not know of any Calvinist on this board who would identify you with such a label:Cautious
    In fact I doubt anyone on here among the non cals would make such an identification.
    I asked you one time to show 3 or 4 of you strongest teachings and defense's of the position as I cannot recall any.
    Is there any non cal who recalls JonC opposing what they have posted? Maybe it slipped by un noticed.
    To see you are right there with Dr. White is more than a stretch as a poster...:oops:

10. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No what's happening here is everyone of the calvinist the real Calvinists understand the historic position of the church more or less and they agree with the scripture where everyone else is opposing major parts of scripture at some point or another and they need correction.
    It is not so much an echo chamber as you like to say but it just one believer feeding off the other believers and contributing along the same line to show the more less Unity of belief.
    Your comment you don't like it any more than you men is assuming most people are on board with you and you are point of view. That is not correct in fact I would say most are not with you on this issue

11. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jerome I can agree with this statement. If I understand the statement as it's written these things occur simultaneously not one in front of another one behind the other simultaneously then I could agree with the statement just fine
    If the receiving of Christ by Bayou a true faith is according to John 113 then is not a problem they all happened at one point in time you go from Death to life from Darkness to light so there you go

12. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You totally mistake the passage and the meaning of the passage there's no other way to say this

13. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Squire, thanks for allowing this thread to stsy open for awhile.
    Despite a rocky start it actually had some positive dialogue in working through some thorny issues.

14. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does that have to do with this topic? Who of us never said we were saved by faith?

15. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you believe Calvinism as it's been preached here that we are saved so that we can believe. Then there is no doubt that you believe you are saved with out faith. MB

16. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT me! Only the living can exercise faith and 'receive' Him.

17. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of one person here who preaches that. This is a false accusation.

18. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, who of us has ever said we are saved without faith. Name names and posts please. If you are going to make the accusation you better have proof to back it up.

19. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. He wrote to different audiences. However, what he wrote to the Romans is clarified for our benefit in 1 Corinthians.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

20. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, which is why theologically I agree with you. BUT at the same time the common sense you employ here goes out the window with some who cannot handle opposing views.

For example, Flowers says that the gospel is all that is needed, not some special drawing. BUT he also says that the Spirit has worked in the gospel message and in the indwelling of the believer. Why do we take Paul's words to two different audiences together yet divide words by an opposing view?

It is a matter of the heart, not the head.