Would this be a fair statement?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by saved and sure, Dec 15, 2017.

1. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed that it is not of myself and in fact I resisted and kicked against the goads.
    However, I personally did the "tap out" and He respected it and gave me immediate release of my anguish.

I presently have no problem whatsoever with Jesus being in complete control of everything in the life He has given me.
    It gives me joy and comfort.

HankD

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Calvinism states and holds that all humans are sinners and all of us deserve hell, but that God choose to save some out to be His own people, and allows the rest to have their own will and stay lost.

3. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures teach that. The difference is that Calvinists teach that God chose his people without any conditions, meaning God's people were not chosen based on them choosing Him. This mean people do not have the free will to choose him.

4. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Jesus loved, sought and saved me, without conditions, and that unconditional love is responded to by His elect. Calvinists do believe that they chose Christ. We just understand the reason we do is that He first chose us. "We love because He first loved us".

5. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea but Calvinists teach that the reason we choose God is because He makes us alive FIRST before we chose Him. They believe you are saved, born again and given eternal life BEFORE you call on the name of the Lord. They will tell you: How can a dead man rise from the dead unless he is made alive first?
    So you are right, salvation is Unconditional from God's part, but it is Conditional from our part.

6. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very Word of God makes alive what was dead. "Lazarus, come forth". . .

The call of the gospel makes God's elect alive, and then they happily and willing come to Him. Many people, not all, obviously, hear the outward call - the Good News, but only those for whom the Spirit quickens it, are made new creations. If you don't believe that you are left with something to boast about when trying to explain why you are saved but the guy next to you, who heard the same words, is not.

7. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are assuming I would be left with something to boast about. I'm not a Calvinist and I would never boast of my salvation. I'm saved because He saved me, even though I chose Him.

8. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you chose Him? Hmmmm.

He chose me.

Is there something to brag about? That you made the right choice and the lost guy did not?

And how does an evil man, given over entirely to evil, make a Godly choice?

9. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, Jesus differs with that position: "You did not choose me, but I chose you. . ."

May I ask, why is it that you "choose Him", but others did not?

10. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He enabled me to choose Him or reject Him. That happen at the point of conviction! That happened to you as well :)

11. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free will

12. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I call that enablement "regeneration." What do you call it?

Yes, His regeneration/enablement allowed me to see that I was guilty, IE, convicted, found guilty.

You don't know what happened to me and to say you do is hubris of the worst sort.

So, do you deny your will was in bondage to the law of sin and death before you were saved?

13. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not deny my will was in bondage before salvation. I deny the Calvinistic belief that we do not have a choice BEFORE he saves us.

14. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We always have a choice. I don't believe we don't have a choice. I believe the lost man always makes the wrong choice.

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only God has absolute Free Will, correct?

16. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do have a will, but we will always reject Jesus, and stay in darkness.

17. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "saved and sure,
    Nope...not really...there is a few that speak of unsaved wicked persons being appointed;

1pet;
    7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light

3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;[/QUOTE]

18. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Incorrect.....

19. Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason that I would choose one fruit or vegetable over the other is how fresh they looked. Your analogy seems to say that God chooses one person over another based on something special about them. I have posed that question to people who believe in election. Why you?.

20. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your answer to your own loaded and leaning question?