COMMON GROUND COFFEE HOUSE #61

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by I Am Blessed 24, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Gib Active Member

The restructuring of a company trying to come out of bankruptcy has it's ups and downs. The one down is a reduction of staff. My position was eliminated across the board. Many without today.

I'm sitting here cleaning out my office. Placing all the knick-knacks of cable and channel paraphernalia I've collected over the years, in several boxes. Hats, coffee mugs, pens, pictures, and other general items.

The "Big Cheese" comes to me and takes me to his office. I'm thinking, "how much worse can it be?" They've already let me go. It was not his decision to let me go and I could tell he was choked up about the whole ordeal.

Anywho, he offered me another position and asked what I thought about it. After all I've been through. I looked him square in the eye and said, "When do I start!" It's official, I start tomorrow. Praise God!

2. dianetavegia Guest

My mouse broke so I'm having a very hard time posting today.... but just had to jump in a PRAISE THE LORD

3. dianetavegia Guest

Okay... trying this again. Praise the Lord for the new job Gib! I know that must really relieve some concerns for your family! We've been under so much 'job' stress for 3 years now that we've pretty much lost any hope for ever retiring or seeing our grandchildren, paying off our home... I'm just thankful we'll have insurance even if we can only afford it for a short time. We certainly don't wish any of those concerns on you, dear friend!

So..... I've got four loose pieces inside my mouse. Jim bangs it when it doesn't move fast enough and he left here today with it not working at all. I shook it.... and out falls parts. So where do the springs go??? LOL

Diane

4. Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats, Gib!
    It's nice when someone thinks enough of you to go to bat for you.

5. TaterTot Guest

yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is really good! I am so happy for you, Gib!

We are having a good day here today. The weather is nice - 72 right now. We have played outside in the leaves, ridden in the Barbie Jeep grandma bought the girls for Christmas last year and then we had our "family day" lunch at a local pizza place. We love to go there b/c we all eat for less than $12.
    DH is working on a major paper that is due tomorrow (around 75 pages single spaced), so our family day was cut short. But we certainly dont mind. It will be worth it in the end.

We had a great day at church yesterday, too. It was my day for children's worship, and I took them on a worship walk. They had never done one before. We had five stops -
    1)an empty field that used to be an old Indian trash site. We have found arrowheads and lots pottery shards there. Our scripte for that stop was about God's love and faithfulness enduring thru all gerenrations. (Ps. 100)
    2) cemetery - verse was also from Psalms - "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints".
    3) the creek behind the church - scripture was about the how the Godly man is like a tree planted by streams of water
    4) Under a tree with lots of leaves - Scripture was Is. 64, emphasis on how we shrivel like a leaf and are blown about like the wind blowas leaves
    5) another open field that is seasonally full of wildflowers. People come from all over to see it. Scripture was "Grass withers, flowers fall but the word of our God stands forever.
    There, we had prayer with eyes open looking at God's creation. I think it threw them for a loop!

Well, the great outdoors is calling again. Gotta go play for a while.

Tater

6. dianetavegia Guest

Sounds like a lovely day TaterTot! The kids here have played outside all day too. It's dropped to 65° now and is supposed to near freezing tonight but I LOVE that kind of weather!

I get to sleep in tomorrow. Ty isn't coming tomorrow but will come on Friday. That sort of works out better because the new little one will be here for a few hours tomorrow and it'll give me a chance to get to know him better.

Diane

7. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gib - obviously the boss knows a great worker.

Of course, it's too bad he settled for YOU!

8. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Congrats Gib! God is good - ALL the time!

Made the "Two Ingredient Cake" for supper tonight and iced it with cream cheese frosting. It was delicious and SO easy to make!!!

We are about finished baking our pumpkin cookies too. We made 12 dozen... One more cookie sheet to go and we're done for tonight.

Tomorrow, we are baking "Cornflake Christmas Wreath" cookies. They're messy to make - but they taste good and look pretty!

Since Brent and I both still have our colds and we are both out in this cold weather every day, we are going to bed early again tonight (around 8 which is 9 the old time and that's what my body is still running on!).

Pleasant dreams all!

§ue

9. dianetavegia Guest

I got used to staying up late and don't like having to go to bed early. Glad I can stay up tonight!

It's going to be quite chilly tonight so should be good sleeping weather!

My cat is acting very ill again. Not eating... drinking some... but just not even moving around. Last time he was so ill, he snapped out of it in about 3 days. Hope he does again.

Diane

10. Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane, hope the cat is feeling better. I guess he's taken himself off the carbs, that's good if his sugar is high.

And speaking of cookies - Saturday is when we turn the church kitchen into a cookie factory. My daughter and her girls' group, and anybody else who wants to drop in for any length of time, turn out tons of cookies for the Rescue Mission and Rehab Program we have helped support. The men there will have our cookies as a part of their Thanksgiving dinner. We usually fill two of those big popcorn tins you get at Walmart. We make a mess, but we have fun, and the men really appreciate it. Additional cookies get put up in small tins for our shut-ins.

Anybody have cookie recipies as simple as Sue's Two-Ingredient cake? We usually do a mix of all-from-scratch and purchased cookie dough. And some boxed mixes. But they require measuring, just like the scratch recipies do. Something REALLY simple would be great for the young ones to mix up.

11. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Hi Debby:

You just caught me on my way to bed!

I have a recipe for peanut butter balls that requires NO BAKING. Brent (10) made them all by himself and they are delicious!

I will post the recipe in the BB Recipe Thread tomorrow when I get up.

The kids can mix them, roll them and dip them all by themselves. It will keep them busy and they will have fun too!

§ue (REALLY going to bed this time!)

12. dianetavegia Guest

I don't think I have any easy recipes for cookies. We have a wonderful Hard Molasses Cookie Recipe from Jim's grandmother but they are HARD work! The batter is so firm that halfway through... you have to get your hands into the batter to fully mix it. YUM tho!

13. shawna w New Member

Well, nothing going on here tonight. Just got done watching CSI. Gonna read for a while then to sleepy town I go! Talk to you all tomorrow!

14. dianetavegia Guest

There's a 1 1/2 hour CSI on right now Shawna. Boring so far tho.

Hubby has started going to bed before 9:00 because he has to be up at 5:00 to make it to the far side of Atlanta by 7:30. Makes for a lonely night here....

15. blackbird Active Member

I just got home from an Associational Men's Meeting---somebody was there to talk about Habitat for Humanity---looking for volunteers to build houses for underpriviledged men and women!

16. TaterTot Guest

I put the girls to bed early tonight. They missed their nap today and were a little cranky. I have gotten some laundry done as well as the dusting, mopping, and straightening up. I clean on Monday evenings so the house will be clean since Tuesday is piano lesson day. The girls and I are going on a picnic before it gets crazy,though.

Hubby is still working on his paper - he is coming home for a supper break at 10:30.

Well, I am about to head to the recipe forum!!

17. fireweed59 New Member

Greetings friends I am very new to this board (check out my low post numbers) and after arriving in the greet new members place I thought I'd take you up on the coffee invitation. Not sure how it works, I'm very new at these things, am I supposed to make the coffee and what does that really mean???
    Anyway, I came here because of the warm and friendly spirit of those ladies who seem to run this place, thanks, I feel very welcomed. Also, because somewhere else on this board in another topic, I read that all the nice and interesting people were here. I mean, given a choice of nice and interesting or mean, grumpy, and combative, what would you choose? :rolleyes:

18. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Good morning all and WELCOME fireweed! I hope you will become a regular here. The coffee is always on and the chat is always friendly!

32º here this morning heading for a high of 56º. No wonder we all have colds! Friday and Saturday night - 21º. It's going to be just lovely delivering papers the next mornings...

Off to check other forums,
    §ue

19. Gib Active Member

Blackbird-Alabama has a group of volunteers called Carpenters For Christ. That group would travel to churches that could not afford to build much needed additions or space and do a build in a week or so. I spent 2 weeks one summer slinging mud. There were 2-300 volunteers at each build.

We have had several Habitat homes built in this area. Even the great Peanut President was here to get one started. Many churches offered volunteers for work, food and the such.

20. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Habitat for Humanity is a worthwhile organization. We have several homes in our town as well.

It not only provides families with homes that would never be able to have one otherwise, but it seems to bring the community together.

If I want my 'blesser' blessed, I do something for someone else. It's also a good cure for a 'pity party'...