KJV is well loved and used

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor Sam, Mar 22, 2018.

1. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sam, I am still waiting for your response to my post on page 1 of this thread.

I then asked:
    "But aren't you doing the same thing, Sam by saying
    You have not demonstrated, using your own original exegesis, that all, or even any, modern translations are watered down. You seem to be repeating what others have said. Like some Democrats. :)

2. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I'm confused. I thought you meant 99.9% do not associate the word "let" as meaning hinder?
    Oh, and if you're bolding the .1% because I said 99% instead of 99.9%, be aware that I was responding the simpler 99% in two other people's posts.
    As the old saying goes, "There's a first time for everything!" :)

3. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reviewing the data I've changed my number to 94%.

Tennis Participation in the U.S. Grows To 17.9 Million Players | Tennis Industry Association

:p:Roflmao

4. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Member 1: "By brother is visiting from out of town and wanted to practice on the courts."

Guard: "So, let him."

Will the guest enter the court to play tennis because "let him" means "allow him", or will they find another court to practice on because a "let" is when a ball hits the net and "let him" means "he is forbidden"?

5. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just had to chuckle at some of the above posts, after seeing this in a newspaper just today:

The Times - Passport Deal Hailed

"...anyone in possession of a soon-to-be-blue-again passport to pass freely without let or hindrance..."

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still looking for those passages where the Nas/Nkjv have denied the deity of Jesus, or any other Christian doctrine of the Faith!

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The easiest way to show that the KJVO position is faulty, would be to have them apply their own logic towards the Kjv itself!

8. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are the master at finding things on the interwebz

9. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One example would be the Kjv uses the term letteth for the Holy Spirit and the coming antichrist, while modern versions uses hinders....

10. Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be fair, there are plenty of incomprehensible words in the newer translations as well. Consider one example out of dozens:

Esther 1:6 Where were white, green, and blue, hangings, fastened with cords of fine linen and purple to silver rings and pillars of marble: the beds were of gold and silver, upon a pavement of red, and blue, and white, and black, marble. (KJV)

Esther 1:6 The garden had hangings of white and blue linen, fastened with cords of white linen and purple material to silver rings on marble pillars. There were couches of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and other costly stones. (NIV)

Granted, a quick look in the dictionary would solve the problem. It's the same with the KJV or any translation. I would personally like to see the "hard to understand" indictment put to rest.

11. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting discovery as I continued to look at the word "let": This is not exactly a case of a word altering its meaning over time. Let ("to allow") and let ("to hinder") are actually two different English words that are spelled the same but mean something different, homonyms. You can do a search and check the KJV and see that the "to allow" version of "let" was in use in 1611 also (2 Thessalonians 2:3, e.g.).

Let(1)
    Old English lǣtan ‘leave behind, leave out’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch laten and German lassen
    Let(2)
    Old English lettan ‘hinder’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch letten

Probably no one cares at this point; but your knowledge has increased exponentially! :Geek

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most people reading the Kjv let would not see it mean to hinder!

13. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Kjv was using the language of its time, why not also use translations that reflect the English of the present time? The Elizabethan English was not more inspired than modern English . was it?

14. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are detracting from the real issue at hand. Read the KJV, Read the NKJV, Read the NASB--stop pitting the Word against the Word, JUST READ THE BIBLE and be thankful we have amazing English translations.

15. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ultimately, let's try not to be "most people" -- regardless of which version we are reading -- if "most people" are not studying the words of the Bible in addition to reading it.

16. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God spare my life, ere many yeares I wyl cause a boy that driveth the plough, and have an online subscription to the Oxford English Dictionary, to know more of the Scripture, than he doust. -- William Tyndale

17. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God spare my life, ere many yeares I wyl cause a boy that driveth the plough, who cannot read and doesn't know the meaning of any words, to know more of the Scripture, than he doust. -- William Tyndale

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some who have graduated in USA unable to read even the NIV readers edition, how can they understand Kjv?

19. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The average Brit with an English Literature degree knows exactly what that means. :Laugh

20. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that can't be possible! Our resident bible expert has assured us that 99.9% of English speaking people are too dumb to know what those words mean.

But, of course, the new "easier to read" and "easier to understand" versions never have any words that all of the 99.9% are not familiar with.

For instance, everybody knows what this means, "Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the slime of the purslane?"

LOL! ROFLOL! Yep. I hear "slime of the purslane" every day in general conversation. Not to mention your example of the often heard and very popular porphyry, :D:D:D:D:D