KJV is well loved and used

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor Sam, Mar 22, 2018.

1. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife's the tennis player in my family, so you can draw your own conclusions.
    :D

3. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how do you know that? Did you ask most of the KJV users what they understood "let" in that context means?

Can we see the research you published showing that most KJV users are less knowledgeable than you regarding English vocabulary?

And, quite frankly, after reading your posts for these many years my opinion of the level of your knowledge regarding English vocabulary is much worse than my youngest grandson's. :)

4. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmmm. Well. She did marry you. :D

5. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So all those people, down to and including the plough boy, automatically understood the meaning of "Passover" a word invented by Tyndale?

6. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe not immediately. But change occurred, and it entered common usage.

Some new words appear, some old words disappear, and some meanings change. Echoes of Babel, I reckon.

7. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Went back and touched up the Tyndale lingo. Some of that I added didn't sound like him! :Biggrin

Actually, I was going to translate Tyndale's statement into modern English so we could all understand it, but I ran into two problems.
    1. I found I was not qualified to translate it into modern English (my modern is so 70s).
    2. I found no modern group of which I could imply they do not know how to read well; ploughboys are kind of archaic, and boys possibly derogatory. I didn't want to get sued for offending anyone (too many snowflakes).

8. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I let this one pass earlier. I'm sure there are some who don't know what "let" means in 2 Thess. 2:7. But in my personal experience I've not run across any of them. (Or those who don't know that prevent can mean go before, or that quick means living or alive.)
    Perhaps we could start with Picture Bibles and English lessons. If they can't read the easiest reading Bibles, what will you do about it?

[Edited to add: the above statement is not just for argument. We have a serious reading problem in the US, and I'm not sure modern vernacular Bibles are helping much in this regard. And there is both "can't read" and also "don't read" problems. Audio Bibles might help with some of this, though those who don't want to read probably don't want to listen either.]

9. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use hinder.

10. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no equivalence between the number of KJV's antiquated renderings vs. the antiquated readings in the newer versions. The KJV has an overwhelming number of incomprehensible readings.
    Have you thought of the possibility that the NIV reading might be more accurate here?

11. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You meant Reader's Edition --commonly known as the NIrV. You need to become familiar with this translation. It will help you improve your English.

12. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW! What a perversion of what I had said. Your interpretation of the words of others is truly a twisting of the original.
    The above is an example of the strawmen you constantly erect.

Why can't you deal honestly with any given subject?

13. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I notice that of the 50-something versions and sub-versions (sub as in "below", revisions of versions) at Bible Gateway, only one -- but not modern -- uses hinder (and in brackets, at that). I was surprised "hinder" wasn't used more, but perhaps the connotation is weaker.
    The preferred newer words seem to be restrain and hold back.

14. Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it the same when readers think that they know the meaning of some words used in the KJV with different meanings and thus do not look them up but they would likely look up an uncommon or difficult word in another English translation?

Is it the same when readers cannot find the word used in the KJV in a typical one-volume English dictionary or cannot find the meaning of how the word is used in the KJV in that dictionary but readers can find the word in the other English translation in the dictionary?

15. Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At one time, there were two different words spelled "bravery" that came into English with different meanings. If I recall correctly, one word came into English from Latin and the other word came into English from French. The two words may have been spelled in different ways during the time when English did not have set spelling rules, but both came to be spelled the same. Only one of the words may be in present use, but the other word with the different meaning was used in the KJV.

16. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but we have fixed that in early 21st century English. Well, except for:

address
    arm
    back
    bank
    bark
    base
    bat
    beam
    beams
    bear
    board
    bolt
    book
    bore
    bow
    box
    bustier
    cabinet
    can
    case
    cast
    cave
    chair
    change
    check
    chicken
    chip
    circular
    clear
    cleave
    close
    club
    command
    content
    cool
    cordial
    current
    crane
    dance
    dear
    deck
    down
    duck
    dust
    employ
    entrance
    even
    evening
    exact
    fair

Well, there are the first 50 of about 250 still in common use. :)

17. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But how often is "let" used for 'hinder' in modern speech outside of tennis? About as often as "love" is used for 'zero' outside of tennis.

I believe we all know the KJV contains many words still in common use whose meanings have drastically changed over the years, and many English users today don't know those old meanings.

18. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention a modern rock band playing their sistrums...

19. Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antiquated does not always means incomprehensible nor does incomprehensible always mean antiquated. My point is, the newer versions have their share of difficult words as well. To say that the KJV should be put out to pasture because it is hard to understand is a very hypocritical position, in my humble opinion.

Would that really matter? If I can't understand the more accurate rendering, what's the point? ;)

20. Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Objection! Calls for speculation! There's no way I could possibly know this. From my experience as a teacher, if someone does not know what a word means, they ask.

For example, one of our college freshman ladies asked me just yesterday, "What is the difference when people say that God is Holy and that He is a 'thrice Holy' God?" It was a very good question for which I was able to give her a very quick explanation and the matter was settled.

A good teacher will, in any given subject, automatically explain difficult or seldom used words. A preacher would have to do that regardless of what version he uses in the pulpit. This is not an exclusively KJV concern.

I don't think too many people today are limited to a single dictionary. We have junior high kids in our Christian school who bring their smart phones to school with them. So, no, I don't think it is the same.