KJV is well loved and used

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor Sam, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would agree that most scholars of the NT text would see the TR as being the worst source for use in translation of the English bible? Not that its bad, but the others are to be preferred?

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are words that have a different meaning now than from the time of the Kjv, correct? Are there any errors/mistakes in the Kjv?
    Do you agree with the 1611 translators, who saw their work as revising prior versions, was not perfect, and that others would revise their own work in the future?

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many of today's students cannot understand current English well, much less than English over 400 years old, with all of its changes over the years!

4. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I wouldn't. Can you share the research you did that caused you to conclude that "most scholars of the NT text would see the TR as being the worst source for use in translation of the English bible?"

How many textual scholars did you interview and what, exactly, were the questions you asked them? Have you published the replies yet? If not, when are you planning to publish?

5. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you avoiding answering my question? Here it is again.

And how do you know that? Did you ask most of the KJV users what they understood "let" in that context means?

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but why would they be expected to understand the word used, when its meaning itself has changed totally?

7. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still no answer. Why not admit you just stated a biased opinion with no factual basis?

8. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can a majority know how a term was used when no longer even used that way?

9. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same way one can know it.

10. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where would they learn it from?

11. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a way of knowing what words mean?

12. Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you a King James Version ONLY person?

13. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that?

14. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would they not?

15. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, how many of you guys use the word "let" to mean hinder in your day to day (and off tennis court) language?

I don't. I've never noticed my wife, the tennis player, do it. So I would not expect my children to know that it is a viable meaning.

16. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, actually, it's a model of Dodge auto.

My wife watches a lotta cooking shows, and sometimes so do I. On one show, a chef served the main course of a meal placced on a covered platter he called a charger, & no one present had any difficulty with the term. "Fancy" meals are often served on chargers. (Not the "General Lee"!)

I see no prob with the term. It had/has multiple English meanings. if one wantsta criticize archaic KJV words, why not pick in cauls, broid, chambering, trow, wist, , etc. or words still commonly used whose meanings have changed from their KJV usage, such as assay, attendance, conversation, bowels, carriage, earnest, overcharge, shambles, etc.

Now, that's NOT a "fault" of the KJV's. Those words are simply part of the everyday English of Britain at that time.And, as the majority of readers here use American English, some other words or terms in the KJV will be strange to us, just as some modern British terms are strange to Yankees today.

Let's never forget the KJV is 400 years old, having been "modernized" in 1769. It was written for the British of 400 years ago. While it's an excellent translation with not too many booboos, it's nonetheless antiquated, and we are better-served by modern Bible translations in OUR language style & terminology. Still, I won't discard the KJV, as it is still used by quite a few people.

17. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, and we need to remember that context helps us pick the right definition of the word. IN a charger wouldn't be likely re a fast steed! The head could have been delivered in a Dodge Charger -- had one existed in that day. The word that fits the context and the period is the likely pick!
    And it is also worthwhile to keep in mind that there is a difference in the words whose meaning has changed versus words we don't normally use in our common speech with that meaning, or that some terms may be used in one geographical area and not another, as in shambles.

18. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having the right expectation is the beginning of knowing what we need to teach our children. If you're using a Bible with a different word in 2 Thessalonians 2:7, you won't have to worry about "let" (just the places that have words you don't expect them to understand). If we are using the KJV, we need to teach them the words we don't expect them to understand, such as "let" in 2 Thessalonians 2:7. Same principle, even if we have more words to deal with.
    I'll try to work that word in at my Mother's birthday today, if there are children there whose parents need to let them -- thereby removing the objection. :D

19. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some words in the English language can take on almost contradictory meanings.

When we do not eat we fast from food.
    When we are hungry we will often eat fast.

The boat went fast across the lake.
    The boat was tied fast to the dock.

20. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every reader uses prior knowledge to discern meaning.

Therefore, one who is mechanical will typically consider “charger” in terms of a bourse, auto, air booster,...

One who is athletic will primarily consider the word in terms of skill and pursuit.

One who is technology oriented will probably have electrical source come to mind.

The Scriptures need to be practical in selecting the absolute most basically used definition when choosing which word to print.

People may like flowery, may be intrigued by majestic, and may even prefer the fancy, but God’s Word is to be presented that even the simple child can understand.

That child is going to see the word “let” in terms of permission of approval, and in one turning loose.

That child is going to see “charger” as the card parent’s use at the check out counter.

Those folks that dwell on an island near the North Sea should conjure up what they define when hearing or reading about Texas.

We want the cattle hindered by fences, and the charger to keep the battery ready in the truck.