New Testament Quotations of the Old Testament

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. However, these other authors are commonly believed to depend on the quote from Papias for their statements. In other words, Papias said it, and they believed it with no proof (Hebrew mss, etc.).

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Jews considered the LXX to be inspired. Some Christians also did so, down to Augustine in his exchange with Jerome, who used the Hebrew OT for his Vulgate translation.

On the other hand, if you are asking whether or not the LXX quotes in the NT should be considered by us to be inspired, my answer is "Yes."

3. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LXX cannot be "inspired" as is the Hebrew OT and Greek NT, as it is a Greek "translation" made from the Hebrew Mss of the time. I believe that the writers of the NT used the Hebrew "text" that underlies the LXX translation, hence the equivalent readings. This is known as the Hebrew Vorlage text.

4. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then we we come to a NT quote of the LXX, we should say to ourselves, "That's not inspired," then go on reading. Is that what you are saying? Really? Because it is very clear that many NT quotes of the OT are exactly the same as the LXX.

At the end of the semester, right now I am having my Greek 102 students translate 1 John in committees, to give the feeling of a translation work on a mission field. No two committees come up with the same rendering of the same verse. On Tues/Thurs I teach a seminary class on "Bible Translation Theory and Practice." I've given them various homework assignments to correct various English translations. Again, the students do not come up with the same renderings of the same passages. So it would be very strange for a NT author to translate from the Hebrew Vorlage and come up with exactly the same rendering as the LXX.

5. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am NOT saying that. The LXX cannot be inspired as it is a TRANSLATION made from Hebrew manuscripts. It is these Hebrew manuscripts, or Hebrew text from them, that were used by the NT writers. We are no here talking about the early Church fathers use of the actual LXX, but the NT writers. There is no way that this can be disproved, and the fact that God the Holy Spirit ONLY inspired the writers of the actual 66 Books of the Holy Bible, and ONLY these that were originally written in Hebrew and Greek, for the OT and NT, are the Inspired Word of Almighty God. What of the Latin Vulgate then, some claim that this too was "inspired"?

6. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If, as you say that the LXX is inspired as the OT Books are, then what of the fact that it contains some of The Apocryphal books? Are these also "inspired" by the Holy Spirit? Did you know the the Dead Sea Scrolls are more in agreement with the LXX, than with the MT? These are Hebrew manuscripts. Your reasoning is faulty.

7. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've lost me. I'm not really sure if you are disagreeing with me or not.

Concerning the Latin Vulgate, only Catholics claim inspiration for it, and I'm certainly not a Catholic. ;)

8. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that the LXX is NOT inspired by God the Holy Spirit, because it is only a translation. ONLY the original Hebrew written by the OT writers IS. Is this clear?

9. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg your pardon. My remarks cannot be construed in any way, shape or form to say that the LXX was inspired. My point was that the originals of the Greek NT were inspired. I believe in verbal-plenary inspiration. Therefore, the quotes of the LXX included in the NT are inspired in that they are part of the original NT.

How in the world you got that I believe the LXX itself is inspired is completely beyond me. :confused:

10. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is not clear, because the topic of the OP is not whether the LXX is inspired or not, but the inclusion of LXX renderings in the NT.

11. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the New Testament quotes of the LXX are not inspired, what other parts of the New Testament are not inspired? After all, the language changed after the Babylonian Captivity. It went from Proto-Hebrew in the Pentateuch to Hebrew in the Poetic Books to Aramaic written with Hebrew orthography during the earthy ministry of Christ.

So which one is inspired and which one is not inspired? And how do we know?

12. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    your own words in #62

"On the other hand, if you are asking whether or not the LXX quotes in the NT should be considered by us to be inspired, my answer is "Yes."

13. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that the quotes are not from the LXX, but from the underlying Hebrew that this translation was made from. If the LXX quotes are equally Inspired as the OT Hebrew is, then what of the Apocryphal books that the LXX contains?

14. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, duh! OF COURSE the New Testament is inspired! That belief is the very foundation of orthodoxy! To deny the New Testament is inspired is the very foundation of apostate Theological Liberalism and Modernism!

15. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please post any New Testament quote from the LXX Apocrypha.

16. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the next question...
    Should translators correct OT Scriptures from NT writing?
    It's been done in a few translations :Cautious​
    Rob

17. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, we cannot decide if a translation is inspired , if so then which one or which not

We have to say the original languages, what ever they are, are the only inspired scriptures.

Quoting a translation in scripture is the problem, Is the NT quote inspired, or as is suggested only the original scripture referenced by the quote

18. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe they should. As God is the Author of the scriptures He is allowed to change them and give a different nuance to their meaning or application. We are not. :)

19. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't you people read English? John is talking about the NT quotes from the LXX. This is what this discussion is all about!

20. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, ONLY the original languages are directly Inspired by the Holy Spirit, but there are some here who cannot grasp this. The quotes in the NT that agree with the LXX, are from a Hebrew text of manuscripts that are older than the MT, and in these places agree with the LXX. It is this Hebrew Bible that the NT writers quote from