New Testament Quotations of the Old Testament

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    not the point. IF, you accept that the LXX is Inspired as the Hebrew OT and Greek NT are, in the originals, than what of these books. The RCC say that they are, and by your own reasoning, you also agree with them!

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you understand plain English? Because that is what I used in that statement. I did not say, "The LXX is inspired," which you are accusing me of. (Do you understand the use of the definite article in English?)

I see three possibilities. (1) You don't understand plain English, so maybe English is your second language, or maybe you didn't pay attention in high school English class. (2) You are deliberately twisting my words for some nefarious purpose of your own. (3) You don't believe in the inspiration of the NT.

3. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But God can. When God quotes from a translation we can be assured that quote is inspired.

They are, for the Old Testament, Hebrew with some Aramaic. For the New Testament Greek with some Aramaic and even a little (very little) Latin.

4. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly the point. Which you seem to keep missing.

Nobody has made such a claim. You can't just make this stuff up as you go along.

That is a lie. Shame on you!

5. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so what are you answering yes to? Re-read what you said.

6. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove from the Hebrew OT that the supposed LXX quotes in the NT are really from the Hebrew, and by some miracle they turned out exactly like the LXX, even though done by different translators.

Also, what's the difference? If the NT quotes of the OT are from the LXX, they are from a translation, but if the NT quotes of the OT are from the Hebrew, they are still a translation. So the same problem remains either way: can a translated OT verse be inspired?

7. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    in #71 you wrote, "If the New Testament quotes of the LXX are not inspired...". meaning exactly what?

8. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the New Testament quotes the Old Testament (which is a translation of Hebrew into Greek) is that quote inspired or not?

9. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of "New Testament quotes" didn't you understand?

When the New Testament quotes the Old Testament, is that portion of the New Testament inspired or not?

10. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wrote very plainly. I gave three possibilities for your accusation that I believe the LXX is inspired. Which of those is true? Are you purposefully twisting my words to falsely accuse me? (That is against the Ten Commandments.) Or do you just not understand plain English? Or do you deny the inspiration of the NT?

11. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And the New Testament is INSPIRED! Including the QUOTES!

12. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you accuse me of not understanding the English language? The OT Hebrew ORIGINAL is NOT a translation, but the direct Word of Almighty God given to the writers.Which is what I have been saying in plain English.

Do you have access to the DSS, or a study Bible with the DSS in the notes, or a book on the DSS? You will see that there is far greater agreement between the LXX and the DSS, than the LXX and the MT. So, here we have evidence of a Hebrew Bible that is the basis of the LXX text.

13. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, for the 100 time! I have never said that it is NOT, so don't try to make me out to be someone that does. I am saying that these QUOTES are NOT from the LXX, but a Hebrew Bible of the original.

14. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    but they are NOT from the LXX

15. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "On the other hand, if you are asking whether or not the LXX quotes in the NT should be considered by us to be inspired, my answer is "Yes."

are these your words, or are you here quoting someone else?

16. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For crying out loud, PAY ATTENTION. Whether the NT quotes of the OT are from the LSS or the Hebrew, THEY ARE TRANSLATED!!! And the NT is inspired, so those quotes are inspired. Or do you deny the inspiration of the NT, as has been asked you several times now?
    Yes, I have BibleWorks with the DSS.

Let me ask you, just for information: do you read Hebrew and/or Greek?

17. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But God did not, and you are just assuming that He did, with no evidence for this. There is a huge difference between the ORIGINALS and TRANSLATIONS. The former is directly Inspired by God the Holy Spirit, and the latter are NOT.

18. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall too much of the case, but the quotes from the LXX were part of it.

I don't place any stock in that theory. However, I am quite comfortable with the idea that Jesus was competent speaking all of the regional languages and dialects of His day.

19. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are my words. So, do you understand the use of the English definite article? Apparently not. "The LXX" and "the LXX quotes" are not equivalent in meaning.

20. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, now you have modified your response! you now say the quotes in the NT are from the LXX or Hebrew, which is not what you said earlier. I believe in the complete Inspiration of the entire 66 Books of the Holy Bible, but only in the ORIGINALS.

Answer to your question. Yes.