New Testament Quotations of the Old Testament

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good enough. :)

2. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me ask the question. The NT quotes that are equivalent to the Greek text of the LXX, are these quotes "inspired" in exactly the same way that the original Hebrew OT is?

3. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I said exactly that the quotes in the NT are from either the LXX or the Hebrew in Post #55. I have not modified my response in the slightest. You simply don't understand plain English.

Great. Now learn English correctly.

4. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you better study up on what exactly the Vorlage text actually represents.

"Vorlage" is a German word that means "prototype" and refers to an older version of the text under consideration. In this case an older version of the Hebrew text, older than the Masoretic Text.

But what must be understood is that the Vorlage Text was unknown prior to the Qumran discoveries. The Hebrew community did not know of it nor use it. Nor did the Christian community.

One of the tests of canonicity is that it was recognized and used by God's people down through the ages of history. That cannot be said of the Vorlage text.

What is more likely is that the Vorlage text includes scribal glosses that made their way into the body of the text. And the only example of these variant readings was the various editions of the Old Testament in Greek. (Only Ἡ μετάφρασις τῶν Ἑβδομήκοντα can rightly be called "The LXX." Origen's Hexapla may have been a copy of the LXX but we really don't know as we have no complete manuscripts of that work. The other most important Greek translations of the Old Testament were done by Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotion.)

Today, what is published as "The LXX" is compiled from Codices Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, and Alexandrinus.

5. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of both the OT and the NT in the original languages. This means that when the NT quotes the OT, those quotes are inspired in the same verbal plenary way as the rest of the Bible, even when those quotes disagree with the Hebrew original, whether that be from the LXX or the Hebrew re-translated by the NT human author (and those situations do exist). In those cases, God (through the human author) has His own purposes for the re-translation.

If you are going to say that no translation can never, ever be inspired, even when occurring within the NT, then you are denying the translation of many phrases and words right there in the NT text (Boanerges, etc.). In fact, you are then denying your own premise that the NT quotes in the OT are from the Hebrew, because even then they are translations.

If on the other hand you are saying that a non-inspired translation such as the LXX (as a complete translation) or the Vulgate or the KJV (all of which have had advocates for perfection) cannot be considered as having verbal plenary inspiration, then I agree.

6. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question, what evidence is there that there was an LXX that existed before the time of Christ and the Apostles?

I have heard often that the Apostles quoted the LXX, but I am wondering if that is really the case?

7. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did not what?

Yeah, we all know that.

Yeah, we all know that too.

Now, do you have something of substance to contribute or are you going to continue to play Captain Obvious?

8. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and how do you know this?

The Hebrew community did not know of it nor use it. Nor did the Christian community.

9. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably. Papyrus Fouad 266 is a copy of the Pentateuch in Greek it dates to the 1st century BC but it is mostly fragmented.
    That is the point of the discussion. Did they quote an existing Greek translation of the OT, or did they translate from Hebrew on the fly? Or some of both. (I tend toward the last possibility.)

10. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the LXX was completed by about 150 B.C., and used by the Church fathers. I do not believe the the NT writers quoted from it

11. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    History.

12. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    bottom line is, that NO, not even the LXX is or can be inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is impossible!

13. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    which can be mistaken, right?

14. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you completely miss the point!

15. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you said in #83, "God quotes from a translation". He NEVER does, this is pure guesswork!

16. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Rolleyes

17. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you supply a quote that is incontestably from the Vorlage text prior to the Qumram finds?

18. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can a translation of the Hebrew original be inspired?

19. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you believe the quotes of the Old Testament in the New Testament were taken from the Old Testament that was inspired in Greek and put into the Hebrew Old Testament so the New Testament writers wouldn't have to translate them into Greek?

Can you show me a Hebrew manuscript of the Old Testament that contains the Greek phrases quoted in the New Testament?

20. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Bible very clearly says:

"πᾶσα γραφὴ θεόπνευστος", which ONLY refers to the original Hebrew OT and Greek NT. Period!