Start Praying in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by plain_n_simple, May 13, 2013.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So those are equal to the scriptures as revelation from God to us then?

2. righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to worry!!!!

it is not in referrence to you...unless you are partial to the Gospel of Matthew?:wavey:

3. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    righteousdude2...

Wow! I leave the BB for a few months and when I come back you're speaking in tongues!!!:smilewinkgrin:

Even though I personally believe Paul was clearly skeptical of "tongues" as they were being used in Corinth, I have to acknowledge that the Apostle Paul allows for the possibility of a private prayer language among believers (I Cor. 14:28)

From what you have posted, you seem to have followed our Lord's commands found in scripture (not to cause division in the church...you resigned) and not to cause a distraction in the church (you kept your private prayer life private).

Quite frankly, I am impressed by your faithfulness to scripture given your experience.:thumbs:

peace to you:praying:

4. awaken Active Member

Yeshua1, Is prophesy one of the manifestations of the Holy Spirit? Yes! If they are from God how could you be against them so much?

I have said over and over that prophecy does not contradict..add to or take away from the Written Word of God!

5. righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....

.....you should be really surprised the next time you leave for a while and come back....:wavey:

I appreciate your kind words and support. You understand where my heart is, and that is important for me that you saw that! :applause:

Also, be safe....I know you are in that part of America where tornado's like to touch down. Praying for you and others in peril.

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are the "legitimate" ones equal /on par with the Bible, both equally a revealtion to us from god?

7. awaken Active Member

I thought this thread was about speaking in tongue???

What is your understanding of the word "revelation"?
    Is it..Something revealed, sudden inspiration or understanding?

8. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Tongues was a revelatory gift. Like all revelatory gifts it has ceased, passed away. Our revelation has been completed with the completion of the Word of God at the end of the first century. That in itself is proof enough that tongues, as a valid gift, has ceased.

It was valid only while revelation was needed. We don't have open-ended revelation today.
    Many of the Charismatics believe that their "prophecies," "revelations," and whatever they gain through tongues, are just as inspired as the Scriptures. That of course is heresy.

9. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF a person gives forth a tongue, and someone interpretes it...

Would you take whatever was said to be equal to what paul and jesus said in the Bible?

That if the word was telling your church to sell the building and move, you would?

Basically, is the canon closed now, or does God keep adding new doctrines and knowledge into the church thru those gifts operating today?

if you say yes, how do you know which is of God, was Joseph Smith/Ellen White/Copenad/Hagin?

10. awaken Active Member

Tongues and interpretation is usually interpretation of a prayer/magnifying God/praise given in tongues!

So to answer your questions concerning tongues being equal to the written word...If it is the manifestation of the Holy Spirit! It is of God! Period!

11. awaken Active Member

Tongues is a just one manifestation of the Holy Spirit! You limit Him to just a certain age! The word does not! But we have discussed this between us enough!

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not limiting the HS, just that he does not operate in the same fashion now as back then!

13. awaken Active Member

I am sorry..where does it say that? When did the body of Christ leave? When did the church age end?
    Yes! Religion puts limits on the Holy Spirit through their unbelief in His power being manifested today!

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, the Charasmatic movenment to a large extent has Blasphemed Him, by attributing their false doctrines/practices as being His revelations
    What you call unbelief, I would call biblical Christianity, same one calvin/Spurgeon/Moody etc knew and experienced, not charasmatic chaos!

15. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Either this is a lie, or you have a grave misunderstanding of the Holy Spirit, who He is, his ministry, what he does, etc. Most six year-olds have a greater understanding of the Holy Spirit of the Holy Spirit than you have displayed on this post (assuming they have grown up in a Christian home).

I have never limited the Holy Spirit to one age.
    By that one statement you show your true colors, and have limited the Holy Spirit to the gift of tongues. You inferred that it is tongues, not the Holy Spirit that must be present in every age. Your theology is this:

Take away tongues and you have taken away the Holy Spirit.
    Therefore tongues = the Holy Spirit, in your mind.

Remember, my view is that tongues have ceased.
    You concluded therefore, that the Holy Spirit has ceased.
    But I never said that. You have directly connected tongues and the Holy Spirit so that both stopped working in the firs century.
    There is no middle ground with you.
    Either both ceased in the first century, or both continue today.
    That is heretical.

16. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, congrats on completing your book. You were still working on it the last time I was here.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the prayers. I'm fine, no strong weather here.

Moore, OK...:praying:

17. awaken Active Member

No, You think you understand what I believe and you throw out this garbage!

I have debated this with you! Nothing new you can add to the debate!

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You DO indeed see that those of us who see the tongues/prophecies/healings/miracles gifts as ceasing away though as being in unbelief, not having the "Full Gopsel" right?

19. awaken Active Member

I see you missing out on what God gave a gift to the church!
    The manifestations (1 Cor. 12) do not affect your salvation! The fruit of the Spirit is what is evident when one is saved!

You have already admitted you do not believe in them for today! That is unbelief!

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, would call that "Rightly dividing the word of God!"

Do you eat pork and lobster? if you say that yes I can, that would be because you divided from the bible that law was not in effect to restrict your dietay eating..

Same way, discerning that the HS operates in a different fashion today among us than in Acts!